Anybody see "Alone in the Wilderness?"

Page 2 of 3

settling?
occupation.
lest we forget that this continent was in fact occupied when we got here.
of the American West), are city born and bred, raised on TV, and

settled; settling : to establish a residence or colony.

Yep ... by a race whose gene pool was brimming with self-sufficiency and self-reliance. But no matter the extent of subject traits inherent in the original "occupiers', they were inarguably no match for the European "settlers".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
wrote in message

They were certainly no match for the settlers' germs. Well over 90% of the natives who died did so from disease carried by the Europeans.

The gene pool is in need of men that can't live in society?
Mike
"Michael Daly" wrote in message

That's a real stretch ... heretofore no one has remotely implied that those who are self-reliant and self-sufficient can't "live in society". AAMOF, look beyond 'dates and names' in human history and you'll understand that these traits are what "society" is built upon.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Other than the only example you gave.

Hardly likely, unless you assume that history is made only of a small minority who do that. It's trendy (and very American) to claim that the bold, self-reliant individualist is the reason for greatness. But that has nothing to do with historical fact, where the majority are folks who get up each day and do the same thing they always did and create a society based on mutual reliance and support (aka, community). Community barn raisin' beats slugging it out alone if you really want a decent life.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

If it were not for the guy who was willing to ignore the inertia of the community and go try something new though, we'd still be cat food. Communit barn raisin' only works if somebody has figured out how to build a barn.

--
--John
"Michael Daly" wrote in message ...

LOL! Now don't go blaming your leap to conclusions on me ... I gave no example.

Ah hell, you either want to argue to justify a jump to conclusions, or you really can't see that it takes self-sufficiency and self-reliance to build a barn in the first place, even collectively ... either way we aren't going to agree, so let's call it a draw and drop it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

No, keep going. It's a classic topic for a good discussion (which you're having): the primacy of individual genius or community. Here's one idea: Shelby Foote in the Ken Burns Civil War series said something like, "We Americans like to think of ourselves as uncompromising, but our true genius lies in compromise, our whole country is founded on it."
Among many, many examples of the discussion is the agrument between W.E.B. DuBois and Booker T. Washington regarding the direction of the black community in the decades after the Civil War. DuBois believed in the "Talented Tenth," the leaders educated at the best schools who would inspire the community with their wisdom. Washington said, in effect, "Phooey. Let's raise ourselves up by our bootstraps and educate all of us in the manual arts, so we can build our own infrastructure."
Then again, Anonymous said, "The fool tries to adapt the world to himself. The wise man adapts himself to the world. All progress is due to the fools."
Bob
"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

The traits under discussion "self-reliance, self-sufficiency" and "community"/"society" are not mutually exclusive... the argument/implication that self-reliant, self-sufficient folks are necessarily anti-social, or "can't live in society", is bogus.
Communities are not unknown to possess the same traits as the individuals who populate them. Pretty hard to argue that Colonial Williamsburg, to name but one poor but current example, is not populated with self-reliant, self-sufficient folks who work together for the benefit of the community, albeit a commercial endeavor.
An interesting article about a Scottish fishing village which has been robbed of its self-reliance by government fiat.
http://www.alastairmcintosh.com/articles/1998_herald_fishing.htm
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

True, but the opposite is somewhat true. If you choose to be a loner and shun the rest of society, you had better be self reliant to survive.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

True, but that way you don't contribute to the gene pool ... which goes right back to my original statment.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

, and if I ever get lost in the woods, I'm

Another thing you can do if you're alone and need help...providing there's a road nearby fell a tree so it crosses the road. A car will be along soon wanting through NOW. If you think you're alone...just take a leak out in the open. Joe

I think this link gets you some more info...
http://www.alaskanha.org/_details.cfm?ProdID 9

http://www.dickproenneke.com/DickProenneke.html
Alone in the Wilderness: a documentry of Richard Proenneke
Bob Schmall wrote:

There is a picture of the partially completed cabin here:
http://www.dickproenneke.com/DickProenneke.html
I seem to recall he said he had the walls up in 11 days! I also thought it was interesting that he left the wooden handles of his tools behind to save weight and made new ones in the field.

I watched this with amazement. He lived alone there I believe the story said for 35 years. I was telling some friends about it and how I believed they didn't make men like that anymore. Just watching a single person use a large ripping saw to make lumber from logs made my arms ache. Mike in Arkansas

I had to chuckle looking at the web page. He wanted to live in a place untouched by man. And then he starts chopping down trees!
He's got a lot of courage to do what he did. I'd wus out the first day. Nah, I'd wus out on the trip into the wilderness. Ed