Anybody know?

Hi There, I have a friend who was using the CutList Plus program who says that it is evidently installing a piece of spyware/malware when it is installed. He does have their 60.00 dollar license as well. Has anyone else seen this? He says it was found by Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware. Please let me know. Thanks in Advance, Beej

I run both Spybot and AdAware frequently, and I don't remember either one having flagged CutList Plus or any of its components.
OTOH, it has been about a year since I installed CLP, and many things could have happened in a year, for example
a) If Spybot or AdAware flagged something right after I installed CLP, I could have forgotten about it by now
b) the vendor may have deliberately included some sort of tracking software with new versions of CLP that wasn't there when I downloaded it
c) the vendor's server may have been hacked
I'm running CutList Plus version WD-5.5.14, if that's any help.

You can upgrade to version WD2004 r7. This is what I am using. IIRC ALL upgrades are free once you are registered.
Thanks, Doug and Leon, for your excellent suggestions. I will keep them in mind and move forward cautiously. I hate spyware with a passion second only to my love of life and country. Have a great day. Later, Beej
wrote:

is
let
could
could
software
Todd Peterson, the man in charge at Bridgewood Design, publishers of Cut List Plus would know and seems honest, at least with my many dealings with him. E-mail him. He normally returns my e-mails within 24 hours, most of the time much sooner. I use the commercial version of this program and have no problems with spy ware.
snipped-for-privacy@cutlistplus.com
Be aware that Spybot Search and Destroy sometimes thinks AdAware is spyware. IIRC Spybot thinks some cookies are spyware. Perhaps a cookie from the Bridgewood site brought up the red flag.

Been using CutList Plus for years and a spyware program for one or two and CutList has never shown up on it.
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

Beej-in-GA wrote:

Get a firewall.
See if it tries to call out or see if there has been a rule created for access.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio