Anybody hurt by the hurricanes???

Page 3 of 3
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:09:49 -0400, Joe Gorman

But that's more like bowling, setting the pins up again so you can have another go.
snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (David Hall) wrote: ...[trim]

This, I think, is the heart of the problem. Another important element is that we live in a litigious society where people seem to think that if they get hurt, it's someone else's fault.
Our legal system is based on common law, and the principle of "First, do no harm." But, too many stupid people don't know how not to do harm. So, we end up w/ a litany of laws designed to prevent people from doing harm to their neighbors.
I think one solution would be for local gov't. to require a waiver from people who want to build in the floodplain -- something to the effect of an admission of a priori knowledge. Here's a first cut:
"I, Joe Blow, do hereby affirm that I have been informed my home at 123 Water Way is in a floodplain|hurricane path|tornado alley and I do hereby release local, state, and federal government officials from having to rescue my sorry ass when I'm inundated by flood waters, slammed by a hurricane, or twisted by a tornado. I do further renounce any expectation that the rest of society ought to bail my butt out and help pay the recovery costs associated with the damage I suffer. Not withstanding some dumb insurer who is willing to take a loss on my policy|policies, I accept full and sole financial responsibility for any repairs which may become necessary to my home and any other home or propery receiving explicit damage as a direct result of my construction in this location. I hereby also waive the right to file suit against any party involved in my construction and/or future protection should a natural disaster deem it fitting to damage or destroy my home at said location."
Gary
Now if this doesn't count as bizarre I don't know what does. We have been getting rain from the remnants of Jeanne, and a few hours after I posted this question, my niece came up from the basement and announced that we had a swimming pool down there. Sure enough I went down and 3/4 of the basement had a few inches of water in it. The weird thing was there was a hissing/bubbling noise all around me. I checked for a leaking main, but it was pretty apparent that the water had welled up from the sump. I can only guess that the noise was either water flowing along the outside of the foundation, or it was air and/or water being pushed through normal settlement cracks in the foundation. I could also hear the sump making that classic stalled electric motor hum, so I quickly opened up the well and pulled the sump out. What I found was a load of construction debris (the house is only a year old this month) jamming the impellers. I cleared that mess and quickly got it back in the well and got it pumping. A friend, my daughter, and my father in law all helped with the clean up. Fortunately I have two wet vacs and they did a good job of cleaning up. I'm just glad that I had decided to take this week off from work so I was here to handle it.
Steve P.

My
Here in Englewood on the west coast of Florida, we have been more than lucky... times 4. Charley passed just to the south of us. Frances to the north as did Jeanne and Ivan. Nothing more to our place than a few small branches and a ton of pine needles. In helping the Red Cross in Punta Gorda I saw the devastation those poor souls went through, but my heart is made heaviest by the plight of the many migrant workers in the Arcadia area that are unlikely to receive the same level of assistance that so many others have. It is paradoxical that times like these bring out both the best and worst of humanity... Many shoulder to shoulder working many hours to assist those in need. And unfortunately the others, ripping people off with generators at three times the going rate, stealing anything they can or selling stuff provided by FEMA or the Red Cross for free. I read of one household that wound up getting his entire roof tarped due to a 4X4 size hole, causing many small leaks from the fasteners and FEMA footing the bill which would have covered the cost of a complete re-roofing (and the insurance people only want to cover the cost of fixing the original hole!). Some people need to be dragged out and shot! Tom Maker of Fine Sawdust and Thin Shavings

<snipped 4 BW>