Anybody hurt by the hurricanes???

-------------------- I lived first in Randburg and then moved to Sandton (Fourways). It was a great place, I hope you folk can keep it that way.

Reply to
gandalf

Ocala, and had lots & lots of wind damage taking out lots of medium sized trees and ripping out 1/3 of a fence line on the horse pasture. Luckily we had no structural damage, but have taken more than 16 truckloads of large debris to the road for pickup. Spent many hours with a pair of chainsaws. A property near mine (roughly 1/3 mile down the road) has a lake in their backyard that covers the top of their 4-board horse fence and is within 16" of the windows on their barn. I'd estimate that they'll have a lake for 6 months of more! And, the waters are still rising.

No more this year, please!

Gary

Reply to
Gary Greenberg

snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (David Hall) wrote: ...[trim]

This, I think, is the heart of the problem. Another important element is that we live in a litigious society where people seem to think that if they get hurt, it's someone else's fault.

Our legal system is based on common law, and the principle of "First, do no harm." But, too many stupid people don't know how not to do harm. So, we end up w/ a litany of laws designed to prevent people from doing harm to their neighbors.

I think one solution would be for local gov't. to require a waiver from people who want to build in the floodplain -- something to the effect of an admission of a priori knowledge. Here's a first cut:

"I, Joe Blow, do hereby affirm that I have been informed my home at

123 Water Way is in a floodplain|hurricane path|tornado alley and I do hereby release local, state, and federal government officials from having to rescue my sorry ass when I'm inundated by flood waters, slammed by a hurricane, or twisted by a tornado. I do further renounce any expectation that the rest of society ought to bail my butt out and help pay the recovery costs associated with the damage I suffer. Not withstanding some dumb insurer who is willing to take a loss on my policy|policies, I accept full and sole financial responsibility for any repairs which may become necessary to my home and any other home or propery receiving explicit damage as a direct result of my construction in this location. I hereby also waive the right to file suit against any party involved in my construction and/or future protection should a natural disaster deem it fitting to damage or destroy my home at said location."

Gary

Reply to
Gary Greenberg

Lived in Randburg for 5 years. At the end could not handle the traffic etc. So came to the country.

Reply to
Phil Hansen