Anybody heard from Charlie Self?

Since the AOL newsgroups thing, I've not seen anything of our formerly active poster. It was rumoured that he'd be back soon, but that's been some weeks, now.

Hope everything's all right.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I just did a "find" on him in OE, he's made 168 posts since 1/20/05, 5 of them on 3/20, 3/21.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

He's Bush-bashing in the OT thread with regularity. You must be filtered.

Reply to
George

Charlie appears to be posting via Google Groups. A while back it was suggested to filter out google (such a broad filter is a poor choice in my opinion, but everyone is entitled their opinion even if they are wrong :) ) I think the troll filter set kills google (could be wrong though). Perhaps he is filtered?

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

I set up a shell account with Usenet access for him on one of my servers, but he hasn't connected to it this month. Charlie, you out there?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"George" wrote in news:4240161c snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

That seems to be it. I have the politics and the Google filters engaged.

Thanks, folks!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

but he hasn't connected to it this month. Charlie, you out there?

Reply to
Charlie Self

No problem, it's there when you need it. It'll physically move at the end of next month so it may be down for a day or two, but it'll come back up on a different IP.

I didn't notice that you hadn't been around, and I'm apparently not filtering you ;)

Yup, sometimes life takes priority to online.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If it wasn't for google, I'd never post. I hate most ISP news servers.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

One can always tell the google posters - they carry on conversations with themselves.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well, they _can_ quote with context if they'd bother to select that option. Google has been asked to make that the default behavior, but here months later, we still see ...this...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:02:55 -0500, the inscrutable "Mike Marlow" spake:

Yeah, I asked him to quote something to get a sense of who and what he was talking about but he doesn't seem to think it necessary. C'est la vie, wot?

======================================================== TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Gourmet Web Applications ==========================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Do you have me killfiled?

Reply to
fredfighter

Charlie sent me a note yesterday. His health is fine but his computer problems continue.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Can't most people see the entire thread as a tree? I know agent does it.

I bet google does it this way to reduce the volume of data.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Many/most people only display unread messages when reading Usenet. If you include enough context to know what and who your response is to, then it helps people who read your message to know what you're talking about.

No, I think it's just a brain-dead decision on how to set a default. They archive an insane amount of data; quoted text from Usenet posts probably doesn't make a 1% difference in that.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well, I asked you for a source for a statement that appeared to be a patent lie. I did not think you just made it up, rather I thought you were being gullible. But you never responded.

What should I think now?

Reply to
fredfighter

Maybe he retired. All he did was complain about all the troubles about demoing machinery. What a job! Mark

Reply to
Mark