Anybody heard from Charlie Self?

Since the AOL newsgroups thing, I've not seen anything of our formerly active poster. It was rumoured that he'd be back soon, but that's been some weeks, now.
Hope everything's all right.
Patriarch

them on 3/20, 3/21.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

I set up a shell account with Usenet access for him on one of my servers, but he hasn't connected to it this month. Charlie, you out there?
Dave
Dave Hinz wrote:

but he hasn't connected to it this month. Charlie, you out there? <<
Dave, the account is there, but Google is easier to use right now. Your filters may be eating my posts.
I'm in one of those catch-up phases, too many things changing or going wrong and a couple deaths in the family (elderly relatives--92 isn't that bad an age to get to, especially healthy and active most of the way)--and trying to change some article emphasis and.... Basically little or not time to learn new things and change to new ISP (that WILL happen in the next two or three months, though).

No problem, it's there when you need it. It'll physically move at the end of next month so it may be down for a day or two, but it'll come back up on a different IP.
I didn't notice that you hadn't been around, and I'm apparently not filtering you ;)

Yup, sometimes life takes priority to online.
Dave
He's Bush-bashing in the OT thread with regularity. You must be filtered.

That seems to be it. I have the politics and the Google filters engaged.
Thanks, folks!
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Charlie appears to be posting via Google Groups. A while back it was suggested to filter out google (such a broad filter is a poor choice in my opinion, but everyone is entitled their opinion even if they are wrong :) ) I think the troll filter set kills google (could be wrong though). Perhaps he is filtered?
PK
If it wasn't for google, I'd never post. I hate most ISP news servers.
brian

One can always tell the google posters - they carry on conversations with themselves.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Well, they _can_ quote with context if they'd bother to select that option. Google has been asked to make that the default behavior, but here months later, we still see ...this...
Can't most people see the entire thread as a tree? I know agent does it.
I bet google does it this way to reduce the volume of data.
brian

Many/most people only display unread messages when reading Usenet. If you include enough context to know what and who your response is to, then it helps people who read your message to know what you're talking about.

No, I think it's just a brain-dead decision on how to set a default. They archive an insane amount of data; quoted text from Usenet posts probably doesn't make a 1% difference in that.
On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:02:55 -0500, the inscrutable "Mike Marlow"

Yeah, I asked him to quote something to get a sense of who and what he was talking about but he doesn't seem to think it necessary. C'est la vie, wot?
======================================================= TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications =========================
Larry Jaques wrote:

Do you have me killfiled?
--

FF

Charlie sent me a note yesterday. His health is fine but his computer problems continue.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Well, I asked you for a source for a statement that appeared to be a patent lie. I did not think you just made it up, rather I thought you were being gullible. But you never responded.
What should I think now?
--

FF

Maybe he retired. All he did was complain about all the troubles about demoing machinery. What a job! Mark