Anybody ever use those interlocking floor tiles?

Page 1 of 2
Like these?
http://www.tuffsealtile.com/index.php?option=com_staticpage&nr&Itemidi#menu
I'm going to be building my workshop in a 20x20 garage with a cement floor. I saw these in a home show the other night and thought they were cool. But would I be able to roll around my tools on them?
-Jim
A friend of mine recently told me that Target (or maybe it was Walmart) carries these. You could inspect them up close. Or even buy a pack...probably comes in 2 or 4.
Mike
Those look good. FWW did a review of workshop flooring back in Issue #174 (IIRC). They did not include Tuff-Seal. I wonder if my drill press would leave permanent indentations in it.....

Just went to their quote page. For my roughly 24x28 garage, it comes to $3800. Holy Moly! I've got better ways to spend $3800.

Never Enough Money wrote:

I know. I was looking at the recycled ones and they were less. Either way I was under $2000. That isn't cheap but this is a new house I'm building and somehow putting it into the overall cost seems to justify it. I just always wanted a shop floor that was really clean looking. The link I gave is just an example. There are others out there that are less expensive. I don't know what more money gets you. Right now I just wanted to see if it was even doable with the casters used on tools.
-Jim

How about just putting the tiles down where you walk, leave the tools on the concrete floor.
Lee K wrote:

I want the tools to be able to be wheeled around.
-Jim

So if they need to cross an area with tiles, lift the tiles out of the way. How often do you need to wheel your tools around?

Costco offer a similar product that seems to work out at around $2.50/sq ft.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup . aspx?Prodid038308&whse&topnav=&browse If interested you might want to try waiting a while -- I'm pretty certain they have mailed out discount coupons on this item, 3 or 4 times over the past couple of years.

Contact Tuffseal and ask Them.
These are much cheaper and much better.... One or two per machine.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item 0312
It will greatly reduce fatigue. They can moved out of the way and can be washed. They also snap together to make larger arrangements.
Never Enough Money wrote:

Yeah, like a real wood floor. '~)

Wow, $5.65/sf for the garage! I could get some really nice bamboo (appr. $2/ft) or hardwood flooring for less.
Just for reference: Tuff-Seal $4.95 SqFt http://www.tuffsealtile.com Tuff-Seal recycles $3.95 SqFt Lock-Tile $3.20 SqFt www.locktile-usa.com DriCore (price not found, sold at Home Depot) www.dricore.com, this is a sub-floor, good insulation Century $4.39 SqFt www.flooingadventures.com Resilia $3.45 www.floorsurfaces.com BLT $1.10 SqFt www.BLTLLC.com (this is a roll, not tiles)

On 23/01/2007 10:14 AM, Never Enough Money wrote:

There's also a product that is essentially the underlying poly "cleats" part of DriCore, over which you can do your own subfloor of whatever material you choose. Comes in a roll, needs taping at the seams (easy to do). Sorry, can't remember the name off the top of my head; daughter and SIL used it. They got it at either HD or Rona (Canada). I'm sure you'd find it at any large building supply place.

In my area of northern California, DriCore is about $7.00 for a 2'x2' square, or $ 1.75/sf. There is a minimum order of 120 pieces.
Tin Woodsmn
VCT usually runs less than a dollar per SF and will stand up to a lot of abuse. Heavy impacts will chip it though.
I recently refloored part of my shop (the non-dusty, hand-tool only area) on the cheap, but it came out pretty good. I laid down sheets of 3/4 MDF over foam pad over concrete. Ship-lapped, glued edges for a monolithic slab, then epoxy sealed the whole thing. I was worried about the MDF and moisture but it doesn't seem to be an issue. The floor feels much nicer than concrete after a long day, especially if it's cold. Probably ran me less than $.75 per sf.
-G

Why not try vct floor tile like in grocery stores and hospitals? I install this for a living so I know it will hold up in shop use. We have put it in factories in the QC rooms and offices. It is also a lot cheaper than those interlocking tiles which I think your tools would leave impressions in. I have it in my basement in a black and white checkerboard pattern. Once that suff is down its pretty hard to destroy. They come in boxes of 45 square feet for around 30 bucks. All my buddies have it in their garages also. They make this stuff in at least 50 colors so their should be something you would like. Here is a few links of the differnt colors
http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/product_details.jsp?item_id78&category=vct
http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/article32178.html
http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/product_details.jsp?item_id81&category=vct

If that's the same stuff used in hospitals,etc,etc that is awfully tough stuff.
What about slipping and sliding ??? (I assume no waxing)
buick 58 wrote:

http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/product_details.jsp?item_id78&category=vct
http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/product_details.jsp?item_id81&category=vct
It does need to be waxed. I wouldnt think it would be to slippery unless your workshop has 5 inches of sawdust everywhere. I guess I am also just throwing this out as a option since its way cheaper than those tile.