Anybody else getting junk mail after woodworking purchase?

I am receiving third-party advertising mail that I believe is because I recently made a purchase from a popular company many of us here deal with. On the envelope it touts 'Products for Woodworkers', but much of it is pure junk. It's a bunch of pre-paid postcards to various companies. It includes: The Vacurect Vacuum Erection Device (one of the few 'power tools' in the batch) The United States and Britain in Bible Prophesy Two competing satellite TV company ads Win a free bed Another bed Wheelchairs etc. A few advertisements for woodworking magazines. Since I've only made one on-line woodworking purchase in months, I think I've got it narrowed down as to which company. At purchase, I was careful to correctly mark all the boxes for 'do not put me on mailing, e-mail, or any other lists', and I'm already on the normal anti-junk mail lists. Anybody else getting this stuff trackable to woodworking purchases?

- J

Reply to
Joe

Joe A few advertisements for woodworking magazines.

Which ones? That might be a clue to who *bought* the mailing list, and maybe to who sold it also.

There could be other reasons: Did you attend one of the Woodworking Shows recently? There's another mailing list. Enter any drawings while you were at the show? There's another.

Again: which one?

Not any time recently.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Joe It includes:

I got and endless supply after registering to win Bessey tools on Facebook at Christmas. Hundreds of different emails generated by Enkio. I finally got rid of it by setting a filter.

Reply to
Leon

On 1/28/2013 7:25 AM, Joe It includes:

It has been some years but when I had a job, there was an advertising firm that would send packets of cards for all types of companies. The cards would be specialized to your apparent interest.

I used to purposely get on the mailing list for the packets were oriented toward lab equipment. There was another packet that was oriented toward electronic hobbyist. While there was a lot of junk, periodically you would find something of interest and I always sent those card for additional information.

You could get on the mailing list in many ways. Have you given your address to anyone that would get the impression that you are a woodworker. Subscriptions, request for information, to a hardware store,?

PS: I was always amused by the ads for the industrial transformer or power supply being held by a young lady in a bikini. Not the dress of a person who worked with the piece of equipment, and definitely not allowed by government work site regulations.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

ecently made a purchase from a popular company many of us here deal with. O= n the envelope it touts 'Products for Woodworkers', but much of it is pure = junk. It's a bunch of pre-paid postcards to various companies. It includes:= The Vacurect Vacuum Erection Device (one of the few 'power tools' in the b= atch) The United States and Britain in Bible Prophesy Two competing satelli= te TV company=20

Eeerrrhhh, could you please forward the information about that vacuum devic= e... uh it's for a friend.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

recently made a purchase from a popular company many of us here deal with. On the envelope it touts 'Products for Woodworkers', but much of it is pure junk. It's a bunch of pre-paid postcards to various companies. It includes: The Vacurect Vacuum Erection Device (one of the few 'power tools' in the batch) The United States and Britain in Bible Prophesy Two competing satellite TV company

device... uh it's for a friend.

I've gotten a couple of them in the last few months, in fact, one just a couple of days ago. The vast majority of this latest one was woodworking-related, including two cards from Lee Valley, and cards from several of the magazines. At least 90-95% woodworking related. My only recent online purchase (only in 2012, for that matter) was from Penn State Industries, and there was nothing in the batch from them.

Only a small handful (4-5 - I didn't count them) were postage-paid cards. The others required a stamp. I glance through them out of curiosity, just to see what's out there, but since I'm retired and woodworking is a second hobby, I have minimal need for any of the products offered.

So. Let whoever's sending them out waste their money (as do the advertisers who pay for the printing) - it's a simple task for me to toss them in the recycle box. Besides, it helps keep the post office in business, and those guys can use all the help they can get!

Matt (And no vacuum device in the batch I just got... sorry.)

Reply to
Matt

device... uh it's for a friend.

I imagine woodie working is a little off topic.

Reply to
phorbin

------------------------------------------- See "Woody" over on ABPW

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

----------------------------------------------------- "S> Eeerrrhhh, could you please forward the information about that

ya go.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Facebook has a long history of being hacked by email phishers. It cannot be trusted with personal information. But you knew that already, didn't you?

Reply to
scritch

I have no personal info on there other than name and probably email. Any visited site opens you up to getting spam

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for all the replies. Let's see if I can sum it all up. No WW shows or any of the other sources suggested. I subscribe to no periodicals, woodworking or otherwise. In retrospect, I can't say if all the postcards were prepaid. I have numerous throw-away email addresses that I can just abandon if I get spammed. Except for immediate family, maybe 15 people have my cell number and then only if they check their caller ID. I got my postal mail cleaned up years ago - then this started. I'm just that way. My address was given to no company except this one that I suspect, plus Rockler and Amazon (no external vendors) that I've done business with for years with no problem. I keep my 'do not send' current with the Direct Marketing Association. It helps. When I called the company I guessed it had originated with, I got only a 'well, it's possible' type of reply. The mailing labels on a couple of the catalogs I got at the same time were identical in that they contained a couple of numeric identifiers. The catalogs good ones even though I don't need the products - one was for clock parts, the other was for all kinds of miniature and modeling stuff. When I contacted the companies, one had no idea where they got the list, the other did and gave me the phone number. I called and got off the list. I just worked my way up the chain. Since I'm not 100% certain where it started, I won't use the company name, but so far it hasn't been mentioned in this thread. It's a tool store. 'Nuf sed. Maybe coincidence - maybe I just have higher expectations of the companies I deal with. Thanks again for the replies, and I've got to admit that the 'power tool' gave me a laugh. Out to the shop.

Reply to
Joe

Joe No WW shows or any of the other sources suggested.

Yeah, but was it Woodpeckers?

Reply to
Bill

No.