Anybody buy from Leichtung Workshops?

Page 1 of 3
Yesterday in the mail there came a catalog I've never seen before, a company called Leichtung Workshops out of Casper, WY. Has anybody on the wreck bought from them and what have your experiences been?
Some of their stuff is priced the same as anybody else's ($37 for a set of 3 plug cutters, same price as the Veritas at my local pro shop). But what caught my eye were their prices on clamps. It was literally 2 hours after I had just bought a couple Jorgensen 6" bar clamps at my local hardware retailer for $9.99 each that the Leichtung catalog came advertising a no-name brand for $3.99 and 36" for $8.99 (vs. $24.99 locally). Their version of a band clamp is $18.99 vs. $38 at the Rockler outlet.
So is this just another outlet like Harbor tool, selling cheaply made knock offs? Or is their stuff decent? Thanks in advance.
Ian Dodd wrote:

About 15 or so years ago I bought a doweling jig from them. Can't remember what I paid or if the price was inline with other companies products, but the jig is very well made without any "cheapness" in design or materials. I think they are basically just another one of the "boutique" type shops with a few of their own products, a few of the popular products from others, and with a smattering of cheesy offshore products thrown in for good measure.
-Bruce

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

I think they were independent at one point, but they're part of Woodworker's Supply now.
http://www.woodworker.com
CharlesJ -- =======================================================================Charles Jones | Works at HP, | email: snipped-for-privacy@hp.com Hewlett-Packard | doesn't speak | ICQ: 29610755 Loveland, Colorado | for HP | AIM: LovelandCharles USA | |Jabber: snipped-for-privacy@jabber.hp.com
Ian Dodd wrote:

About 15 - 20 years ago Leichtung, with the woodworkers I know, was respected for quality merchandise. I haven't heard much about them in recent years. Trying their web site at:
http://www.leichtung.com/cgi-bin/HOME.exe
it brings up "Woodworker's Supply". I suspect, somewhere along the line, Leichtung was bought out and now "they" are trying to revive the name.
My only gripe about Leichtung Workshops is that if you encourage them in any way (like buying from them), they will bury you in catalogs. They aren't as bad as Trendlines in that regard, but I won't purchase from them again. (Trendlines is worse because they ASSUME that all woodworkers MUST love golf, so they bury you in woodworking and golfing catalogs. And it is virtually impossible to get off any unwanted list they decide to add you to.) Personally, I don't like buying from companies that are strictly marketing companies and aren't really into whatever it is that they sell and that is my perception of Leichtung and Trendlines.

whined:

What are you complaining about, Jack? You're, what, less than an hour away from their Burlington store?

static
The theory has been bandied about here for years. No one, however, has been able to find a single case of an explosion actually happening in a small shop. A little documentation would go a long way to convince us of a real potential problem. Ed
well, the "potential" is there but so is the potential for a wheel to fall off an airplane and land on your car (which has happened). You cannot protect against every possibility although there are those that try. I have metal ductwork because I find it easier to work with but if I had PVC I would only ground it to stop it discharging to me.
BRuce
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

--
---

BRuce

Here we go... <G>
Please point us to a documented case of a wood shop dust collector explosion due to static electricity. Ciggies, glowing embers or glowing metal shavings don't count. If it's not on the web, I'll volunteer to go get a copy of the news article from my local university library and put it up on the web.
I'll simply need the date and name of the paper, TV, or radio entity that published it. I'll do the rest to get it on the web.
FWIW, I pulled my ground wires out of my DC pipes, as they caused clogging if an offcut or large chip landed the right way.
Barry
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 13:41:44 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Now Barry... don't rain on the guy's parade. Simply instruct the nice man that only approved way to ground a PVC dust collection system is run a wire from it to a PVC pipe driven into the dirt. :)
Michael

Hmm... I think I fukd up. Do I have to replace all the monofilament fishing line? That'll take longer than a winter in Luigiland.
How 'bout if I shoot 16-gauge brads through the fishing line into the PVC? That should improve the connectical disjointing of the charge buoyancy, right?
Michael
On 09 Dec 2003, Michael Baglio <mbaglio spake unto rec.woodworking:

    What are you, a child? If you use differentially valented materials, i.e. nylon filament and brads, on humid days the moisture in the air will set up a battery-like effect, and the ions in the air will rust the top of your table saw down to the trunnions before you can grab the WD-40.
    If I were you, I'd bring in a Feng-Shui master to make sure your ductwork isn't constricting the flow of positive energy through your personal space. You might want to get your chakras aligned as well, just to be on the safe side.
Mike, as a benefit the brads should lower the impedance so you won't need to buy a preamp.
Bob

need to buy a preamp.

I knew there were pickers here.
John Sellers
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:42:20 -0500, "John Sellers"

Oh, hell yes. Bob and I met on rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic. Great group of folks, have annual get togethers, good newsgroup to check out.
Michael
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:08:55 GMT, Michael Baglio

I've heard genuine wool thread, NOT cotton, will also work well. Don't forget to grease the connections with non-petroleum lube. I hear KY works well at a fair price. You could probably steal a tube when the doctor is out of the room during your next physical.
Barry
As the saying goes "you can't be first, but you can be next"... http://www.chem.leeds.ac.uk/delights/texts/expt_6.html http://www.safteng.net/Incident_Alert_Archives/industrial_accidents%201.htm http://www.gov.on.ca/lab/english/hs/alerts/i15.html http://www.engcollab.com/articles/understanding1.htm (safety info)
in message

brought forth from the murky depths:

Bogus. Not a DC.

Bogus. Not a DC.

Hey, a real industrial fire! Hmmm, 8 employees? LARGE installation. But it's not a wood shop dust collector explosion.

Warnings but no cite of actual explosion.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT? --------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Sin-free Website Design

No mention at all of static electricity.

"The bin was collecting dust from the plant when the sawdust was ignited by a spark. The spark was probably caused by a metal fragment or nail striking the machinery."
Not static electricity. The other reference on the page is spontaneous combustion, not explosion.

Explosion caused by existing fire in the hopper, not static electricity.

... but again, no example of an explosion caused by static electricity.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
http://www.engcollab.com/articles/understanding1.htm (safety info)
I like this one: 1.. Dust collectors shall be located outside of buildings. Dust collectors may be located inside of buildings if they are located near an outside wall, are vented to the outside through straight reinforced ducts not exceeding 10 feet in length, and have explosion vents designed according to information in NFPA 68, Venting of Deflagrations. Some think that installing an explosion vent on a dust collector prevents an explosion. This is not the case. The vent relieves the pressure of an explosion. Dust collectors can be installed safely inside buildings only under one of the following conditions: How many wood shops have the DC outside? Or have vents from reinforced ducts? I don't think this applies to us.
Sorry, Still no real information. I won't be next because no one has been first yet. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome