Anybody actually seen this new safety device?

Contact Saw Stop, the demonstration did at least once or twice include a live connected human hand part. Apparently between being tired of being nicked or working up the nerve to do this limited this persuasive demonstration.

Reply to
Leon

If there are cat parts in a weenie your push stick should automatically be ruled out. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I heard Kelly Mehler talk about Sawstop and it isn't vaporware. It's real and apparently it works quite well. The device has been undergoing refinement for several years. I would pay an additional $150 to gain almost fullproof protection against losing a finger.

Reply to
Mac Cool

Do a search on this group for that device and you will find all kinds of info and opinions.

Reply to
CW

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

Ah, but you sound like you know what you're doing. How many electronic or electrical gadgets do you own or use that are 'perfect'? This keyboard fer instance ....

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

show me one person that DID get their hand cut off even with this system installed. somehow i dont think the hot dog had any special properties about it that makes the demonstration not relevant for a hand.

im not trying to say it should be made mandatory. but if you're saying its all vaporware, i think its YOU that needs to provide some proof. similiar systems have been installed for other things for years and they work. or maybe you're still fighting the seat belt people too.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Unrealistic. The unit is not in general release, probably no more than a couple dozen floating around, if that many. How can you compare, especially negatives, when the other systems have millions in use.

Where have they been installed?

Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Who do you know that owns one?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Which I never bothered doing, until seeing a thread here a year or so back about a Unisaw that turned on by itself (apparently a defective switch). Figuring that mid-blade-change is a bad time for this to occur, I _always_ unplug now before changing blades. It takes only a few seconds.

Doug Miller

It is not a widely used product yet. How can you demand results from something not being used yet? He is saying if the thing is ramrodded down our throats then there will most certainly eventually be people who benefit from it by not being injured. He is quite correct about that, there is no doubt. That doesn't mean, however that it should be a requirement any machinery.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Fine, I'll rephrase the question so that maybe even you can understand it. When has there ever been an _opportunity_ for someone to get his hand cut off or be saved from getting his hand cut off by this system?

Fine, tell me how I can get one.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I remember a computer from Zeos that had PCI and Microchannel slots. It was real and _apparently_ worked quite well. It underwent refinement for several years. They never shipped a single solitary one of them. Vaporware.

There once was a little gadget that fit in a 35mm camera replacing the film canister--it has thin extension with a CCD on it that turns the 35mm camera into a digital camera. It was real and _apparently_ worked quite well. It underwent refinement for several years. Then never shipped a single solitary one of them. Vaporware.

Larry Bond and company have a solid track record in the naval simulation game business, with Harpoon and Harpoon II shipping and available. In 1997 they started work on Harpoon IV. It was real and _apparently_ worked quite well. On November 27, 2003 the project was cancelled with no product delivered. Vaporware.

Are you beginning to see a pattern?

The fact that a prototype has been demonstrated does not mean that the product will ever become available commercially.

As for paying $150 to gain almost foolproof protection against losing a finger, would you toss your Unisaw to buy one of theirs?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm not sure that that counts as "didn't get their hand cut off". If the thing had not triggered would he have really contined to feed his whole hand through the saw? And would it have prevented someone who really wanted to cut his hand off from doing so? Note that the saws they are looking to sell have a defeat switch.

Reply to
J. Clarke

He _said_ "for every fool that thinks they are invincible and may get hurt due to lack of respect, there are others (more people) that didnt get their hand cut off because the sawstop worked."

I'm merely attempting to ascertain the actual corporeal existence of at least one of these "others". Perhaps he meant something other than what he said. If so, he should have recognized that his phrasing was the source of my confusion and clarified.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Well, in the theme of your comment, Please identify one individual who didn't get their hand cut off because the Sawstop worked. I think we all know that you were wanting to know of some one that was not using a substitute for real human flesh to trigger the stop. The hand actually was not cut off during the demonstration with a real human flesh.

Do you not have the intuition to answer that your self?

from doing so? Note that the saws they are looking to sell have a defeat switch.

And again I answer with a the question, Do you not have the intuition to answer that your self?

Reply to
Leon

I think J.Clarke is bored and likes to argue.

Reply to
Leon

I know who Kelly Mehler is and he's seen one. I don't know you.

Reply to
Mac Cool

im not trying to compare anything. J Clarke claims its vaporware and doesnt work. i'd like to see his evidence and offered up a suggestion as to what credible evidence might be.

as you say, how can you compare? apparantly he has a way....

for one simple example touch lamps. granted it takes a little more sophisticated system for a saw stop, but its still the same basic principle. contact with a conductor (i.e. you) changes the electrical characteristics of the system and can be detected.

im not going to defend saw stop. but im not going to take it on the word of JClarke that it doesnt work either. the theory is sound, and they are either totally faking those demonstrations, or i think its clear that less people would be hurt with them even if it didnt work 100% of the time.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Yeah. You seem to have an interest in Sawstop failing... why?

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I say they'll come to market.

If I were in the market for a new saw, I would pay an additional $150 for that type of protection. I wouldn't 'toss' a perfectly good Unisaw for the sake of a $150 safety device.

Reply to
Mac Cool

you arent trying to ascertain anything. you are stating as fact that sawstop doesnt work and doesnt exist. and ducking proving by trying to put me on the defensive.

what i was responding to was a question about whether or not more injuries would occur because people put too much trust in the system. which i think is false. im not claiming any actual hands were saved or cut off. im just saying that just because people use safety goggles and splitters it doesnt cause more accidents because they become complacent, and same with the sawstop. go back and check it out if you dont believe me. i think had you bothered to read the thread as it played out, it would be clear. it took quite a stretch to get us this far frank.. lets see how much further you can stretch it

randy

Reply to
xrongor