Anybody actually seen this new safety device?

Page 2 of 6
no. for every fool that thinks they are invincible and may get hurt due to lack of respect, there are others (more people) that didnt get their hand cut off because the sawstop worked. in fact in many cases it would probably even save the fool.
not to mention anyone who thinks the safety device is a substitute for thinking is gonna get hurt no matter what eventually...
randy

xrongor wrote:

Please identify one individual who didn't get their hand cut off because the Sawstop worked.
Put not your faith in vaporware.

--
--John

Contact Saw Stop, the demonstration did at least once or twice include a live connected human hand part. Apparently between being tired of being nicked or working up the nerve to do this limited this persuasive demonstration.
Leon wrote:

I'm not sure that that counts as "didn't get their hand cut off". If the thing had not triggered would he have really contined to feed his whole hand through the saw? And would it have prevented someone who really wanted to cut his hand off from doing so? Note that the saws they are looking to sell have a defeat switch.
--
--John

Well, in the theme of your comment, Please identify one individual who didn't get their hand cut off because the Sawstop worked. I think we all know that you were wanting to know of some one that was not using a substitute for real human flesh to trigger the stop. The hand actually was not cut off during the demonstration with a real human flesh.

Do you not have the intuition to answer that your self?

switch.
And again I answer with a the question, Do you not have the intuition to answer that your self?
Leon wrote:

Maybe you know that, but I know no such thing. For someone to "not get his hand cut off" there must be someone who was at risk of getting his hand cut off. I want to know who that was. If you can't identify someone then you should not be claiming that such a person exists.

I'm sorry, but I don't see what that has to do with anything.

If he was not in danger of getting his hand cut off then sawstop did not "save him from getting his hand cut off". So was he in fact in such danger?

You're the one who used someone deliberately sticking his hand in the saw as an example of someone "not getting his hand cut off".
--
--John
On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:12:29 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Ya nearly had me til there....

I heard Kelly Mehler talk about Sawstop and it isn't vaporware. It's real and apparently it works quite well. The device has been undergoing refinement for several years. I would pay an additional $150 to gain almost fullproof protection against losing a finger.
--
Mac Cool

Who do you know that owns one?

I know who Kelly Mehler is and he's seen one. I don't know you.
--
Mac Cool

said:

"Seen one" and "own one" are different. May prototypes are seen and demonstrated, but never reach the marketplace.
I'd truly like to see the product hit the market and become accepted and the cost lowered in mass production. Has not happened yet and the Saw Stop web site does not give any solid information about delivery. Nor has it for the past year or so. The Tucker was ahead of its time too. Ed

snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com writes:

Do you mean, that it's like airbags - the safety system works ONCE, and something has to be replaced afterwards for $75. Sheesh!
Bruce Barnett wrote:

Yep. They'll take preorders for the replacement modules as well. Also, you need to change the module if you use an 8" or 6" dado (different module for each). Presumably one of the features of their saw is some way to detect an undersized blade and not run if the incorrect module is installed. Or maybe working that out is one of the reasons they haven't shipped a product yet.
Thinking about this a bit, I wonder how it would handle the planer and shaper attachments often used on radial arm saws? The planer doesn't have anything for their pin to catch in and it wouldn't surprise me if trying to stop the shaper by shoving a pin in the way of the blades caused it to throw a knife.
--
--John
Bruce Barnett asks:

Ayup. And they say $150 up front cost (if installed on the assembly line) and a $75 cartridge replacement cost, but say nothing of the strain on the arbor and trunnions when the assembly instantly drops below the table and is jammed to a stop.
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self wrote:

ran my fingers into the blade and it snapped my arbor and trunnions - destroyed my saw - but didn't leave me fingerless, would I feel I'd rather have lost my fingers (or arm or...) than the saw? I don't know of any piece of machinery anywhere that I'd trade for any body part.
Keith
Krow wrote:

self-destructs instead of voting with your dollars to demand that any mfgr. who wants a piece of the "safe" table saw market make a unit that works WITHOUT SELF-DESTRUCTING??
dave

I suppose you have documentation that indicates that the saw self destructs.
Leon wrote:

Whether the saw self-destructs is one thing, the device itself self-destructing is quite well established. Brush finger against side of blade, saw stops. You're dead in the water until the can send you a new cartridge.
--
--John

Yeah I am sure no one would have the fore site to get an extra cartridge when they buy the saw.
This whole thread on this matter is the republicans against the democrats. Neither side is completely wrong.