Any way to slow down a hammer drill?

Hello,
I recently bought a Millwaukee 7amp hammer drill. I made the purchase because I needed more torque (not for the hammering feature). Since the drill was a two-speed, I figured speed '1' would be nice and slow with lots of torque. In actuallity, the thing- even on 1- takes off like a jet. Indeed, it's hard for me to tell much difference at all between the two speeds. Though it is "variable speed", there is such a fine line between slow and jet engine fast that it is extremely difficult to hold the trigger down at just the right depth and hold it there (and balance the heavy thing).
So my question is this: is there a way to slow it down? I am thinking of something like a dimmer switch but obviously more robust(I have one for a lamp at home that you plug the lamp into and then into the socket).
In hindsight, I have found that what I really needed was a slow speed drill. But I thought that two speed was going to do the work of a slow speed and a high speed. I was wrong and it's too late to return. Anyone have any thoughts?
Bob
On 6 Oct 2004 14:00:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Bob) wrote:

1> buy another drill... you can never have enough drill motors. 2> sell the hammer drill and buy the one you should have gotten in thefirst place.
Search for a Milwaukee 0300-20
Dave

The Milwaukee 0300-20 will provide quite a bit of torque at 850 rpm with reasonable weight. The next step is the Milwaukee 1676-8 at 300 rpm in low held with two hands. It is a two-speed drill, not a variable-speed drill.

I have suffered some sore wrists when drill holes through metal top plates with the 0300-20. It is a great drill but when it binds up it will keep spinning something. I now have a 3/8"version of it that is also pretty powerful .

Me again,
The drill I have is the 5378-20. It is a two-speed and variable speed. The slowest speed is 0-1350rpm. The 0300-20 suggested by several posters is rated at 0-850 rpm. So the difference is that the 0300 will max out at roughly half the speed of mine. Does this make a big difference? I have never used a slow speed drill before. Is there any way to rig up the trigger so it stops half way? Anyone have an unused one of similar quality they would like to trade for? Am I stuck with a drill I cant use? Thank you for your replies.
Bob

The 3/8 or 1/2" version will drill hole just fine assuming regular size holes. What is a regular size hole? They work great for doing electrical work which means up to 1" screw type drill bit, not a spade bit. Not a spade bit because that is more work that the screw type bit. For bigger holes I get out the Porter Cable 1/2" which has one speed unless I plug it in speed controller. I think it has 650 rpms which is a bit fast. My previous drill was slower which is good for mixing up thinset.
If you are in the big city nearly new Milwalkee drills are in the pawn shop for $50-60.
snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Bob) wrote:

Sorry Bob, you have bought the wrong drill for the job, leave that one for masonry / concrete applications & buy a low / high range wood boring drill if you are drilling wood or a low speed hi torque mixing drill if you are mixing. You don't mention your application so it's hard to really recommend one.
--
Jon Down
Aw shucks, that stinks. BTW I am using it both for drilling holes in hardwood, where a drill press wont reach, and for driving stubborn screws. I dont think I will ever need to use it for concrete or masonry. I guess I will try to sell it. If anyone is interested, I have not used it at all. I will let it go for $115 plus actual shipping (it weighs a little less than 8 pounds. I would also trade it for the drill I need (of equal condition of course). Bob

OOPS actually, I will sell it for $115, which INCLUDES shipping.
Bob