Any Way to Protect American Cherry Wood Flooring?

LOL!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

answered more than once : NO!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Oh, those shoddy colonial builders :)

Reply to
dadiOH

The factory applied aluminum oxide fortified ultra-violet cured finish is about as hard and tough as you are going to get - as far as protection goes. It will not prevent "denting" of the surface although it WILL reduce it somewhat. If you want something truly hard and durable - and very dent resistant - go with a carmelized bamboo. It is EXTREMELY hard - up to 10 times as hard as oak or maple. There are a few exotic hardwoods that approach the hardness of bambee - but they are not cheap.

Your other alternative is to put a thick layer of tempered glass over the cherry. It lets the grain show through better than the previously recommended concrete - - - -

Reply to
clare

Yes I did, thanks.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I've had bamboo floors in two houses now. I just wanted to point out that there is a big difference between styles and "finishes". We had "carbonized medium" (I assume that's what you meant by "caramelized") with vertically laminated the first time. The stuff was great. I'd do that in a heartbeat. The last house, however, was "natural" and was laminated horizontally. That stuff really sucked. It scratched

*really* easily and dented pretty badly, too. The differences in finish and lamination direction *really* matters.

How about having a spare floor, to show off to the neighbors? After all, that's what Madison Square Garden does. You can do anything with an unlimited budget!

Reply to
krw

"strand woven" is supposed to be the best as far as hardness and durability - and it looks like wood. And I was wrong - the "carbonized" is softer than the natural finish.

As with hardwood, the aluminum oxide enhanced finish is superior to a polyurethane varnish finish.

Reply to
clare

If it's an "engineered wood" floor and needs any kind of special treatment in order to stand up to normal use, then get a different brand of engineered wood floor because the one you're looking at is crap.

Reply to
J. Clarke

By the way, if you want something that won't ding or dent (but will chip if you work hard enough at it) and looks like cherry, take a look at woodgrain ceramic tile.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"W" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Sorry, but I don't beleive that. Cherry is one of my favorite cabinet woods, I've worked many board feet of it, and while it isn't as hard as maple or oak there's no way it's soft enough to "ding" from something as light as a set of car keys.

My guess is your "very high quality" vendor is feeding you a line on both the quality and the material of the planks you're looking at.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Either that or he has a HUGE set of keys - - -

Reply to
clare

Those are really nice products and thanks for mentioning that. Are these designed to only work on a concrete subfloor? I believe in my case all of my subfloors are plywood, above a crawl space under the home.

Far as I know they go down like any other ceramic tile. Plywood per se isn't an issue, however it has to be flat, level, and stiff and you'll have to do some prep on top of it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Great, thanks.

Ceramic tile made to look like wood or building patterns that are wood-like would be great for high traffic areas, and then save real wood flooring for rooms that need to look more elegant like a living room or formal dining room.

For what it's worth, I had not seen the woodgrain ceramic until I got a new job where there was a newly remodelled conference area with a woodgrain ceramic floor (this is in the world headquarters of the 98th largest corporation in the world by the way).

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've never seen "strand woven". I'll have to look for it. I really liked the bamboo in my VT house (not so much in the AL house).

My experience is otherwise but it isn't universal, either.

+1

Of course, AlO2 is for scratch resistance. It doesn't affect dent resistance at all.

Reply to
krw