Any Way to Protect American Cherry Wood Flooring?

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 00:23:59 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've never seen "strand woven". I'll have to look for it. I really liked the bamboo in my VT house (not so much in the AL house).
My experience is otherwise but it isn't universal, either.

+1
Of course, AlO2 is for scratch resistance. It doesn't affect dent resistance at all.
On 3/11/2016 10:35 PM, W wrote:

If it is quality engineered hardwood it will be as hard as it will ever get. They use very hard, durable finishes. I put some in the family room over a slab. After 10+ years there is only one barely noticeable ding.
The only coating that will help is a couple of inches of concrete, but the finish does not show as well.

and a

everyone

or

can

the

Well, that's sad, because I simply dropped some car keys onto planks of very high quality 1/2" thick engineered planks with thick american cherry veneer, and the planks dinged. You would think that someone would come up with a way to put a hard polymer coating on top of the wood that could protect the wood better.

The only way you are going to get a very hard, abrasion resistant finish is to apply it yourself. NO finishes are made to be applied over the factory finish. Factory finishes are very specialized (and usually proprietary) a nd engineered to prevent things from sticking to them or penetrating them. That rules out a top coat.
American cherry is a poor choice for flooring. There is a reason you see o ak, hickory, ash, and certainly a plethora of South American hardwoods on f loors. They are hard woods to begin with (as opposed to the softness of ch erry) and their grainy surfaces hold finish well. American cherry is soft a nd tight grained and does not hold heavy, "engineered for flooring" finishe s well.
How soft is cherry compared to most white oaks? IIRC, the Janka scale show s oak to be anywhere from half again to almost twice as hard. That should be easy enough to look up, along with any other woods you are interested in using for flooring.
Robert

Did you receive my e-mail?
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 9:54:57 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

Yes I did, thanks.
Robert

If it dinged from car keys I'd avoid it. I'd also question the quality of it. My engineered floors have had many a drop like that an no marks at all. They use some sort of aluminum oxide finish that is very durable.

Sorry, but I don't beleive that. Cherry is one of my favorite cabinet woods, I've worked many board feet of it, and while it isn't as hard as maple or oak there's no way it's soft enough to "ding" from something as light as a set of car keys.
My guess is your "very high quality" vendor is feeding you a line on both the quality and the material of the planks you're looking at.
John
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 16:12:26 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

Either that or he has a HUGE set of keys - - -
On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 19:35:24 -0800

if you do not like how wood floors wear than you really want a different floor
wood floors tend to take on character as they age from use
that is why people pay a premium for repurposed barn wood for floors
go with grade a solid oak it will outlive you
snipped-for-privacy@spamarrest.com says...

If it's an "engineered wood" floor and needs any kind of special treatment in order to stand up to normal use, then get a different brand of engineered wood floor because the one you're looking at is crap.
snipped-for-privacy@spamarrest.com says...

By the way, if you want something that won't ding or dent (but will chip if you work hard enough at it) and looks like cherry, take a look at woodgrain ceramic tile.
says...

and a

everyone

or

can

the

Those are really nice products and thanks for mentioning that. Are these designed to only work on a concrete subfloor? I believe in my case all of my subfloors are plywood, above a crawl space under the home.

snipped-for-privacy@spamarrest.com says...

Far as I know they go down like any other ceramic tile. Plywood per se isn't an issue, however it has to be flat, level, and stiff and you'll have to do some prep on top of it.
says...

middle

kids

finish we

strengthen

chip

these

of

Great, thanks.
Ceramic tile made to look like wood or building patterns that are wood-like would be great for high traffic areas, and then save real wood flooring for rooms that need to look more elegant like a living room or formal dining room.

snipped-for-privacy@spamarrest.com says...

For what it's worth, I had not seen the woodgrain ceramic until I got a new job where there was a newly remodelled conference area with a woodgrain ceramic floor (this is in the world headquarters of the 98th largest corporation in the world by the way).