Any tools still made in the USA?

Page 6 of 13

I have had nothing but German iron sitting in my driveway for the last 15 years. Ford's rate last in my book as well.

Somebody wrote:

My condolences if they are Volkswagen.
--
Lew

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 06:53:11 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Ya' beat me to it.
Unfortunately, some of Volkswagen's problems seem to be creeping to Audi. Case in point: The ignition coil recall that both companies denied for years.
Barry
in wrote:

No, they are not VW. I predict that the Audi A4's will depreciate in value quite rapidly. To change the water punp or timing belt on their V6, one has to remove the engine. I may have to go with the other german car company but I assure you it won't be a 7 series. The 7 series is outragously expensive to maintain.

Everytime Congress raises the minimum wage it makes everyone feel good, but it just ships more jobs to China.

but don't YOU like that extra $4 in your paycheck every week? :)
dave
SteveC1280 wrote:

If you have a job, sure.
stevec writes:

Nonsense. It is NOT the minimum wage jobs that are going to China. Burger flippers are still in demand, as are counter jumpers at any number of big boxes. The guys and gals who can't find jobs are those who made 11-12 bucks an hour and up. Mostly up.
Besides, the flight to China didn't gain steam until several years after the most current raise to a munificent $5.15 an hour.
Charlie Self
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill
Hi Charlie,
I'm a long time reader, occasional contributor to the WREC. I submit that you are wrong and I am right about the minimum wage jobs going to China. I am going back to China this Sunday for the second time in a month. Without going into great detail, I visit production factories in China that used to be in the USA. 90% of the people who work there are doing the manual labor that Americans used to do. More and more companies are moving jobs to China because of our minimum wage, out-of-control health care costs, etc. What really scares me is the new trend to move high-end jobs, like engineering and software to China and now India.

stevec writes:

But those are not minimum wage jobs in the U.S. My guess is they're also not minimum wage jobs in China, but maximum wage is so much lower that it's like paying half the minimum here.
I really don't see how you can equate problems with minimum wage with people who make two and three times minimum wage.

It isn't the loss of the high end hotshots that is the problem. It's the guys and gals who build the machinery, in factories owned by Americans, kept on American soil that we're losing, and they're the important ones. We're in deep doodoo as our dearly beloved prez says if we are attacked by anyone who meets with China's approval these days. If we can't manufacture tanks, guns, bombs and bullets here, we're screwed, regardless of what the top echelon thinks. And we're approaching that stage at a rapid pace. It was our manufacturing capacity, the awakening of a sleeping giant, that won World War II. If we couldn't have supplied our soliders and most of those of the rest of what came to be known as the free world, we lost. We did it. Or, rather, our parents and grandparents did it. I don't think we can.
Charlie Self
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill
Charlie Self wrote:

My understanding (which could be wrong) is the U.S. lacks many of the necessary quantities of raw materials (like oil and many metals) for extended self-sustained manufacturing anyway.
-- Mark
Mark Jerde responds:

Oh, hell yeah. But we've got all the oil we need for 10 mpg SUVs.
Charlie Self
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:46:42 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

And steel.
Have a nice week...
Trent
On 10 Nov 2003 21:35:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

It's China's century Charlie, get used to it. America has had its day, just like England had hers in the century before.
I'd agree though that US minimum wage jobs aren't the ones going to China.
(Charlie Self)

So what are YOU going to do about it? Really, I'm curious about what individuals are going to do in the face of this over the next 10-50 years.
-Jack

Well right this week, I'm planning on starving 8-(

Guess the bottom has fallen out of the trebuchet market...
-Jack

There never was a trebuchet market. Anyone fool enough to want one also wants to build their own.
Andy Dingley wrote:

You hit that one right on the head... :)

Starve? War with neighbors for food and shelter? Live in that new mini-storage warehouse at 90% of their monthly income?
Greg