Any tools still made in the USA?

Page 11 of 13
Phisherman wrote:

- I've a 2002 Suburban I bought as a retirement gift to myself 16 months ago and love it, 11k miles so far. The jury is out on how long it'll last when we start travelling the US though. - I've a 96 Saturn SL2, can't complain about it either. 35mpg road, 29 in town & has 65k miles. Great car so far - wife loves it. - I've a 92 Ford 4x4 Supercab (300cid & 5spd OD trans), engine is pretty good but the rest of it is shit. WW switch is AFU and certainly doesn't need a dozen variable speeds. Ign switch won't center. Mirrors both broke the housings instead of laying into the side of the door when I needed them to. Been thru 1 clutch and 2 throwout bearings, and 1 transmission ($1500) and I did the R&R. Been thru 3 air conditioning compressors so far. It eats front pads annually. Dash broke from lower rt corner and rattles & shakes from hitting a speed bump, a freaking normal speed bump! I haul no heavy loads, rarely tow except our 15' camping trailer 2-3 times a summer and do not overload or abuse - ever. Has 92k miles & was bought new. - last one is an 89 Daihatsu, uglier than homemade sin, like an egg on 4 wheels, too ugly for anyone to steal but runs and runs and runs with never a problem. 40 mpg in town and dependable. Has 92k miles & bought w/ 25k miles. Best damned vehicle I ever owned.
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:36:26 -0700, Grandpa <jsdebooATcomcast.net> wrote:

Depends on the car.
Have a nice week...
Trent

This is a toughie.
First off, I don't think anyone should buy junk, no matter where it is made.
However, one could push the concept further and insist on buying only items made in Wisconsin, or whatever it is you reside. After all, why put someone out of work in Wisconsin by buying something made in California?
Turn this around and look at it from the viewpoint of someone in Poorcounrty, Aftrica. He can make a quality product and sell if for less, so we tell him that he ain't an Americian, so he can starve no matter how good his stuff is?
Or, maybe good ol' Uncle Sam should put a tarrif on imported tools, no matter how good or bad, so we can all pay more and keep a few more overpriced workers employed.
(Remove tung from cheek.)
I think everyone should have a fair change to make a living by selling a good product at a fair price, no matter who he is or where he is. All else being equal, I'd rather buy from my neighbor than someone half way around the world - Its easier to get my hands around his throat if something goes wrong.
I also think that the typical US consumer doesn't know a quality product when he sees it, so he has only two things left to make a buying decision on - price and features. Since most of us don't have the money for all the bells and whistle, we go with the lowest price - usually meaning cheap and foreign. I think we need to consider ourselves lucky that there are as many good products at reasonable prices as there are. A lot of that is due to the ability of some poor slob living in a hut to do quality work at a horribly low wage. There's more to the world than the US of A - for better or for worse.
Allen

Check those tools...see where the steel and other parts come from.

Are you limiting your boycott to just tools?
Have a nice week...
Trent

There is a lot of stuff I simply couldn't buy period if everything I bought was made in the USA.
Brian Elfert

That's my point.
Why are you singling out tools?
Have a nice week...
Trent
Put on your flameproof underwear. But as a tool and diemaker who has seen my trade decimated in the last few years, I wholeheartedly agree with you. That's why I bought a Unisaw that was made here. It seems like the X5 series is Taiwanese, but the limited edition (phasing out) was made here. I too would also rather pay a little more to keep some of the manufacturing in the States.
Brian Elfert wrote:

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 04:19:16 GMT, "@sbc(nospam)global.net"

But, in reality, yer helping finance their plan to push more manufacturing to Taiwan.
And I think you and most everyone else here is confusing 'made' in America with 'assembled' in America. I'm not sure of the ratio, but I think most of our steel comes from overseas.
Have a nice week...
Trent
THere was an article recently (in the WashPost, I think) about all the Beemers at Cosco. According to their study, wealthier people want to pay the low price for stuff they don't really care about, but are willing to spend the extra dough on stuff that's important to them (e.g. cars, fancy gourmet kitchen, etc.).
Personally, I kinda think that's true across the board, though, of course, those with less money have less of a choice to spend the greater sums.
Now, the question that I've had for a while, since I saw that the new X5 version of the DJ20 jointer isn't made here, is as follows: Delta has established a reputation as a pretty good ww machinery maker. So, when you haul your manufacturing op oversees, because it's CHEAPER, the assumption can't help but being that the quality is degraded. Why the heck wouldn't Delta want to do everything possible to maintain their rep, and thus justify somewhat higher prices (i.e. aim at the more exclusive market niche rather than the masses), rather than bowing to the ever prevalent modus operandi of cheap(er) Chinese junk? i.e. if they could maintain their reputation, which has apparently sagged of late, they could justify the higher price and say we got Jet beat on our quality, robustness, etc. While some might say, well, I'm just a home woodworker and don't need the extra robustness, surely there are enough folks out there after the extra quality that they don't have to surrender?
Renata
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 04:19:16 GMT, "@sbc(nospam)global.net"

No, there isn't. People, on average, are more likely to buy cheap than buy quality. If they can get cheap and quality, great. If not, they will settle for just cheap.
While some might say, well, I'm

snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com (Renata) wrote in wrote:

like

[...]

Already now (and probably since a long time) chinese wooden planes or chinese chisels are high quality, at least the few parts that i hav in my eclectic collection of tools.
My FiL wouldn't even eat rice after three invasions out in the islands.

My mountain bike is 6 years old now. Chinese titanium, and a beautiful piece of work. If there's a call for it, China can deliver real quality.
BT W - Take a look at the recent prices for Chinese art; genuine stuff, not export trade or modern tat. A vase sold recently (New York ?) for $300K,to a Chinese eel farmer. There's money in China now, and they're wanting their heritage back.

Which is the ultimate irony.
Mao destroyed billions of dollars worth of chinese antiquities in his "cultrual revolution". He felt that all those old things would restrict their movement into a modern communist state. If he had not destroyed all these precious artifacts, China would have untold wealth available to itself.
No idea what they would spend it on though. Probably weapons.

That's ok, a billion doesn't go that far anymore anyway. Haven't seen the Queen pawning the crown jewels either...
-Jack
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:46:41 +0000, Andy Dingley

Habanero?
My Giant VT-1, a $3000 aluminum Chinese made mountain bike is excellent!
Barry
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:14:39 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
Yes.
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:39:08 +0000, Andy Dingley

Nice bike!
Barry
Hi
Here's a spreadsheet I made up of some simple numbers for the choice Dewalt might have had for their cabinet saw line. The "Hi Quality" numbers is the "made in America" choice, the "Low Quality" is the Taiwanesse route.
You can play around with it, but the example below is one possible cost structure..Where Hi Quality cost is only $100 more than Lo Quality...you need a lot more sales (40% more) to make the same profits...If making it in China is very cheap then you don't need a very large % increase in sales to match the Hi quality profit... In fact if the cost to make in China is $650, you still make more money on only a 10 % increase in sales.
Notes: My assumption is that at a lower price you will increase sales. Also, there are many hidden risks that most companies ignore in "off shoring" for the first time..such as currency fluctuations, foriegn government meddling in factory ownership/regulations, labor, shipping, etc.etc....
Sales Numbers                             Hi Quality Qty            1000             Low Quality Qty            1400                                      Hi Quality Sale Price            1200             Lo Quality Sale Price            1000
Clost Numbers                             Hi Quality Cost            850             Lo Quality Cost            750
                Hi Quality        Lo Quality     Net Sales             $1,200,000.00          $1,400,000.00     Less Cost             $850,000.00          $1,050,000.00     Gross Profit             $350,000.00          $350,000.00