Any tools still made in the USA?

Page 1 of 13
Is any woodworking maachinery for the hobbyist still made in the USA?
I'm looking for a 14" bandsaw. Delta makes them in the USA, but the current models don't have a great reputation. Powermatic is making a real nice 14" bandsaw, but in Taiwan. I would rather see jobs stay in the USA and pay a bit more for my tools.
Many other types of stationary tools simply aren't made in the USA unless you want to buy high end models for thousands of dollars.
I was just at Home Depot a few days ago buying tools in the hand tool promotion. I only bought stuff made in the USA. I may have paid a bit more, but someone might have a job for another day now. I was going to buying a socket set, but Husky tools are all made in Taiwan now so those stayed on the shelf.
Brian Elfert
http://www.shopsmith.com /
I think they still make everything in Dayton, OH Great customer service department. Nice folks to deal with.
DexAZ

<snip>
Not much... I was shocked to find my Dewalt cordless screwdriver (Christmas present) was made in China. And my $500 jointer, etc., etc.
You are one in a million. If more people spoke with their pocketbooks, perhaps we wouldn't have unemployment rates that we do.
For many years I refused to buy Chinese crap, but the stores kept filling up with more and more of it - it's hard to stem the tide of consumers who don't give a crap - until THEIR jobs disappear. Most are oblivious to this trend occurring. They select products on price and packaging alone - and a year later, when it is lining the local landfill, line up at the local Target to buy more...
There are still the industrial MFGs, but I haven't actually checked lately that a Wilton DP or other such brands are still made in the USA. Most heavy iron work seems to be coming from Eastern Europe and China these days. It's a trend that is overwhelming. First we built Japan into a world empire, then Taiwan, South Korea, and now China. And my personal standard of living is nowhere close to what my dad maintained. Our boom industries are insurance fraud (chiropractors and lawyers) and prisons.
JMHO, Greg

I work for a newspaper. Unless everything goes to the web, we'll still be around. So many people like to read real paper that newspapers will be around for some time yet.
Retailers still need to advertise no matter where they get the good, so my job is reasonably secure.
Brian Elfert

Still be around, but less of you. Newspaper circulation has been in decline for some years now. People would rather watch the news on TV or listen on the radio during their commute. I can think of a dozen major cities that have lost at least one of their papers in the past 10 or 15 years. Ed
Could it have anything to do with the quality of the paper? I for one get tired of having to read 2-3 paragraphs of the reporters PC-BS before they tell me what happened. News stories are / were suppose to be just that, an unbiased view of an event that took place. There is a place for editorials but not in EVERY story. I am at the point now where I skim down the article until I find the NEWS.
Pops
wrote in message news:3fafe433$0$75901

be
my
decline
With the news being reported on the fast media, the only thing available to the print folks is to expand the story, which they do, within space limitations, presuming you, as they, know the overview.
Couldn't agree more that story selection, facts selected in support, and general slant of the print medium, as with other media, is to sell soap. With that in mind, they stick to the tried-and-true formula that all gains are ill-gotten, the individual is always the victim of circumstance, and the only way to "beat the system" is with their support and guidance.
Last night's here featured articles on why we need steel tariffs to protect our mining industry, which contrasted sharply with the reportage on a group of malodorous "green" malcontents trying to prevent further mineral exploration, lest there be a mine opening....

article

If we can't do it cheaper, why should we do it? Comparative advantage makes us all wealthier, so we should import steel from those who make it cheaper, and enrich our manufacturing industries. Protecting one industry just hurts another, and often by more than you help your protectorate.

Here in CT, many of the newspapers have consolidated or been run off by a the nationally owned Hartford Courant
The New Haven Register, New Britain Herald, Middletown Press, and several others are all pretty much the same paper
Barry

And a lot of the advertising printing is farmed out...not even printed by the local company. Its more economical to print on a regional level for a national advertiser...and then just truck the ads in to be included in a local paper.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Good attitude. Fuck everybody, I've got mine. Seems that's how we got here.
writes:

The last I checked, Stanley brand "slip joint pliers" were made offshore. The Channellock brand was still made here in the States.

I bought a Stanley FatMAX tape rule a couple of days ago and when I got it home, noticed the tiny letters "Made in Indonesia" stamped on the back. Shoulda bought a Lufkin.
Jeeeesss....
Greg

Stanley tried to move their corporate address to Bermuda last year.
All for a tax dodge! <G>
Barry
in

offshore.

Rumor has it that American Airlines pays it's employees from the Cayman Islands to save on payroll taxes.

Pah ! Last year the UK tax office (our IRS) sold all their buildings to a Bermuda-based tax-dodge company. Even the bloody taxman is on the fiddle !

Take it back...if you feel that strongly about it.
Have a nice week...
Trent

The problem is, people DO speak with their pocketbooks. Personally, I don't care where it's built, so long as it's quality construction for a reasonable price.
The same goes for cars. The last two Fords I've owned have been complete crap. The latest one has been recalled by the factory twice, has had the transmission fail within the first year and it STILL doesn't work right, it's been nothing but a nightmare.
The Toyota that my wife had when we got married lasted over 300k miles and 12 years with no significant problems.
You think I'm going to buy American with that kind of track record?
I have to agree with you on the American cars for the most part. But what gets me is that many Toyota, Honda's and Nissans are now made in America. So it isn't the American worker.
Rich

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:19:41 -0500, "RKON"

It's the American bean counters and Wall Street investors wanting to make a quick profit - something for nothing.
The bubble will burst.
Greg