Any suggestions on floating shelving?

I have been tasked to make shelving in a clients home and they want floating shelving. I have DAGS and found a few cool ideas but I was wondering if you fellas had some experience with something that worked real good for you. They dreamed it would hold all their books, video equipment and a TV. Go figger... Any experienced ideasthat would fit the bill?

RP

Reply to
RP

Only that the thicker they are relative to their depth, the stronger they are. That's pretty obvious since the amount of wall contact is what is defeating the downward force. Keep the fastenings as high as possible too, less leverage.

Beyond that, it is pretty straight forward...build a box with internal struts well attached to the back, hang and skin. Purely as a design feature, the struts dont have to be rectangles, they can be tapered, narrower at the front, wider at the back. Like airfoils.

Reply to
dadiOH

On the TV, I'd recommend they get an extended warranty that covers any type of damage and they replace it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I was inspired to look up floating shelving.....images.....on Google, and did I come up with a pot pouri of design. Maybe look into that. It was eye opening how others handled situations. TV...etc. john

I have been tasked to make shelving in a clients home and they want floating shelving. I have DAGS and found a few cool ideas but I was wondering if you fellas had some experience with something that worked real good for you. They dreamed it would hold all their books, video equipment and a TV. Go figger... Any experienced ideasthat would fit the bill?

RP

Reply to
jloomis

Sounds like you need a torsion box. See:

build-a-torsion-box.aspx

Or if you're a FWW subscriber, look up the definitive article by Ian Kirby.

I built one once for a router table and can attest to it's strength and stability. Kirby's article shows him sitting on one attached to a wall only by it's back board.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Several do-it-yourself methods. Here is a pretty brute force "off-the-shelf" solution.

SonomaProducts.com