Any Suggestions....Metal Rulers

Over the years, I have acquired several metal rulers, some of them, very detailed.

However, while they are engraved, it's become very difficult to read the increments on the rulers.

Anyone have any ideas on how I could re-ink the rulers to bring back the contrast? (How do they do it at the factory?)

James...

Reply to
Amused

What I did.... I cleaned the ruller very well with a tooth brush and laquer thinner, washed it off thus removing any left over paint. CLeaned it again with alcohol, let it dry. painted it with black spray paint and let it dry. After it was dry I used 0000 steel wool and removed the paint but left the paint in the scribed lines and numbers. When I was finished the metal was clean and the numbers were nice and dark. THen I sprayed clear lacquer over the whole ruler.

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

finally someone who knows what they are doing..........kudos

Reply to
mike hide

I will do one of the rulers this afternoon!

Reply to
Amused

Personal preference, I use gloss white paint but same method. I find it easier to read the white against the metal background.

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

They're rules..not rulers. I seldom comment on grammar or typos, but this one is as wide-spread as 'irregardless', the use of which makes my skin crawl. Sorry about that Amused..*IF* that's your real name

Rules. I bought 2 of these from Lee Valley some 20 years ago;

guard them like the last line of cocaine at a Willy Nelson concert.

I'm, totally obsessional about these rules, I'd die without them. When I lose track of one of them, I get cold chills. The biggest deal about them is that the end, is the end, and therefore the first increment actually measures that 1/8 or 1/16 indicated. They also mark up real nice with pencil, and wipe clean easily with a little methyl hydrate.

Highly recommended. Just don't even THINK about touching mine.

*growls*
Reply to
Robatoy

I used the black for a stainless steel ruler I did use white for my framing square which is black.

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

but this one is

What's wrong with irregardless?

Reply to
noonenparticular

It should be "regardless".

However, I have no clue what he's on about with the "rule" and "ruler" business. I checked definitions. I even looked at some Brit sites, just in case it was one of those "separated by a common language" thingee. No joy.

I figure it was a lithium kind of day, and his prescription had expired. Either that or he has a REALLY bad skin condition.

James.. I always get hung up on "capitol" and "capital". "If there is a 50/50 choice to be made, 90 percent of the time, you'll make the wrong choice. It'll probably take years of analysis to prove that the other 10 percent were wrong, too." Unwritten rule #8 of statistical analysis.

Reply to
Amused

I'm pretty sure it's one of those things like the difference between "ropes" and "lines" on a ship. Talking about the rope that holds the sails up is a sure mark of a non-sailor, even though it's perfectly fine by the dictionary definitions.

I'm not sure if the "rule"/"ruler" thing applies to most old-time professional carpenters, or if it's just Robatoy, though.

- Brooks

Reply to
Brooks Moses

Interesting. My Dad is a retired cabinet-maker and trim (finish?) carpenter, and I'll ask him, if I remember. (I'm pretty certain he's in bed by now.)

Reply to
Amused

Now was there any reason for this? If you can't take a friendly, constructive jab on the upper arm, maybe your daddy hasn't taught you how to play with others?

A king is a ruler. A rule is a measuring device.

Hard, eh?

You little puke.

Reply to
Robatoy

The word doesn't exist.

Reply to
Robatoy

They'd be called sheets? Foot ropes and a bell rope. The rest are sheets AFAIK

Where is Lew when you need him?

I'm one of the younger ones in this group, Brooks, so it must just be me? :)

Reply to
Robatoy

A halyard holds the sails up. Sheets hold the sails in (trim them and hold them to catch the wind). Lines are both the bits of rope that hold the boat to the wharf (pier or dock, can also be called warps) and what a boat looks like (as in she's got nice lines). Rope is what is waiting to be used as something useful, like sheets, lines, or halyards. Generally found with the ships cat sleeping on it.

Reply to
Glenn

Mon, Jan 30, 2006, 3:13pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@CS.ver.aol.com (Searcher) doth explain: What I did....

Or, slather it with a brush full of paint, wipe off the excess. No prob.

JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.

Reply to
J T

Nice! Thank you for that. Especially the image of the cat.

Robatoy

Woodworking books use rule. Also saying you have a 10 foot tape ruler sounds really strange, as does "6-foot wooden folding ruler."

Ruler is for kid, rule is for grownups.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Great reference, pick one old guy and believe what he says. Look in several tool catalogs or books on carpentry.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

If it is in the dictionary and it now is in some, it is a word. Nonetheless, what's wrong with it is using it marks one as an ignorant person.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon