Any Sawhorse Plans?

Page 1 of 2

I am looking for an easy sawhorse plan. Any ideas or plans would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Steve wrote:

Steve...
This one doubles as a small workbench:
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/pocket/kreg_horse.gif
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Here's another http://www.handymanusa.com/articles/sawhorse.html
--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving

Now how did that happen? Didn't mean to cross-post it here. Sorry!
--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
I knew I had seen this plan somewhere, finally found it in an old notebook, then found it on Woodworkers Workshop free plan list. I originally got it as free plan of the month from Wood Magazine. It's simple, knockdown, uses 1 sheet of 3/4" plywood.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
(watch out for the wrap)
--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.

And another http://benchnotes.com/Wide%20top%20sawhorse/sawhorses.htm
--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving

Check out Aldren Watson's book _Hand Tools: Their Ways and Workings_. In it is a simple design for a sawhorse that also serves for ripping boards. It's easy to make and it consists mostly of 2x4's. It can easily be modified to suit your own needs.
FWIW, if you are at all interested in using handtools, this book is a must-read.
Chuck Vance
Haven't got a plan, but here's a suggestion to go along with almost all the recommendations, especially the one from Morris Dovey comes closest to what I'm talking about.
Make the top so it's sort of a mini-bench as suggested, but also make the top a tray for holding parts. In Morris' pic, widen the top just a bit and then put a thin sheet of 1/4" underneath the vertical 2x4's d(or whatever). Be sure to put in accesses in case rain, spills of whatever, sawdust, dirt etc can be dropped thru for cleaning.
Another thought: These special horses sometimes turn out rather on the heavy side & when you're disabled as I am that extra weight can be a problem. I've found that 2x2's, even 1x3's glued together at right angles can make near equal-strength legs. You can't skimp on the cross pieces though unless you know something smaller will work.
Just my t bucks' worth
Pop
------=
I've built several different styles of sawhorses. I found that no matter what style or size I chose, I was constantly battling the balance between stability, size and storage space. When you go for foldup or collapsable styles, you begin giving up stability, in my experience.
Recently, Home depot and Lowe's started carrying a collapsable steel sawhorse that is absolutely marvelous in how little space it takes, yet is very stable. I decided I could not do better than a pair of these. They cost about $19/each, have adjustable height, and measure 2" x 6" x 38" when folded up. You can bolt a wood work surface to the top.
Bob
Yep... Used the steel ones for past 10 years. Excellent units and stow very efficiently.
Recently, I bought a pair of the new Skill plastic ones due to the weight of the steel ones getting heavier and heavier as I progress in years. I love them... light as a feather and I can't believe how much load they take. Only $20 bucks for a pair. At that price and considering the cost of wood these days, how can you go wrong? Try'em, you'll love'em!
I still got the others but only use them when I have help... Just too dang heavy at my age.
Bubba
Home depot and Lowe's started carrying a collapsable steel<BR>sawhorse that is absolutely marvelous in how little space it takes, yet is<BR>very stable. I decided I could not do better than a pair of these.&nbsp; They<BR>cost about $19/each, have adjustable height, and measure 2" x 6" x 38" when<BR>folded up.&nbsp; You can bolt a wood work surface to the top.<BR><BR>Bob<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
are the Home Despot and Low's ones as good as the lee valley ones?

They look like they all came out of the same Chinese factory to me, except for color. Home depot orange just arrived. Lowe's are black. I can tell you that HD and Lowe's are identical. They look just like the LV picture and are very stout.
Bob

yet is

They
when

when
I bought these ones from Lee Valley Tools about 10 years ago. Mine were fixed height and shortly after I'd bought them, the adjustable height ones came out. Contacted Lee Valley support and they exchanged a pair of new adjustable height ones for my used fixed height pair. And it's made a world of difference considering my height limitations. Can't ask for more than that.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=1&page2059&category=1,43456,43388
Those adjustable ones are nice, but $100+ is pretty steep for what you're getting. If you get a non-adjustable type, you might consider the $10 Homier set. They're pretty stable and fold up easily. Go to Homier.com and search for item 04377.
H.

Upscale wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=1&page2059&category=1,43456,43388
Here are simple yet sturdy horses. No real plans, only pics. Make them out of 2 x 4 material, with an optional 2 x 6 top plate.
http://www.employees.org/~mbrna/shorse.html

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=1&page2059&category=1,43456,43388
I think the ones in HD and Lowe's are identical, including the adjustable legs. But they are $38/pair instead of $115. Every once in a while LV just charges way too much.
Bob

I got a pair of these myself. They are wonderful... Once setup. Does anyone have a better idea for quick assembly and disassembly to replace the &*$%! wing nuts that are standard? My meat hooks fumble around with these things too much. I tried looking for a cauter(sp?) pin, but couldn't find one that would work right. Maybe some kind of quick-release nut that doesn't require spinning.
Or, I could just suck it up and stop bitching :)
Jay
I bought a set of the heavy duty folders from Home Depot too, and love them. The legs adjust to about four different heights and their load capacity varies depending on the height (1,200 lb. at lowest setting, deduct 200 lb for each upward adjustment). You can screw 2x to the top to allow nailing, clamping or screw down of projects.
I set these up during a couple of remodel projects with a 12" miter saw mounted on 8' 2x6's on one side and an old hollow core door on the other side. The door held up my jig saw and a small sanding station and still provided about 3-4' of portable work space. The whole thing sets up in about 20 minutes and is as solid as a rock.
I also use them to hold up a "quick and dirty" plywood bench in my garage. I throw the 2x4 edged 4' x 4' plywood surface on top of the folders to provide temporary work space in about two minutes.
Considering cost and utlity provided by the folders, it is hard to justify building sawhorses. Lowe's has them too. They are usually painted bright yellow, have a side handle, and are fairly heavy.

when
Kewl.. I went and got me some of those and like you said they are really handy.Mine are already in use. Now I may need to get some more (grin)..

matter
between
collapsable
is