Any Saw Stop Owners

Hmm...a drive that can last 63 years, but is obsolete within 63 days of purchase. Every time I've purchased a HD, within a couple of weeks, there's a newer model that boasts much larger capacity for less money. Dave

Reply to
David

Although their initial marketing approach was a bit (!) antagonistic, our marketplace IS based on capitalism. This was a small group of individuals who wanted to make a few bucks on their idea. They initially approached other manufacturers and were turned down. Admittedly, I don't know the figures they requested for the license on their device - perhaps they were just to greedy. It's not even a new technology, per se - only it's application to tablesaws.

But Imagine the flack if you tried to deny Thomas Edison or Steven Jobs a profit on their 'inventions'.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Yes, as in "free market". Make something good and people will choose to buy it. Not "make something not so good and force people to buy it".

How is that even related? Nobody forces you to buy GE lightbulbs, or Apple computers.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hummm. The current guards on all TS's all look the same. I wonder why? Could it be because these safety decvces are mandated also befor many of us were around?

Reply to
Leon

It was derived from this statement, which was snipped:

Your comparison of mentalities implies that they should have donated the idea to the market in a good-will effort rather than obtain a patent and earn a profit. I doubt they have the resources of MB or Saab, or for that matter, Delta/Pentair - only an idea they wanted to capitalize on.

And no, I don't own one, and probably never will. And I agree that their marketing technique was heavy handed. Avarice rules - even under the guise of public safety.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Were they?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

OK, one of us is missing the other's point, and I'm not sure who. What I was trying to get at, is that Mercedes didn't then patent crumple zones and lobby the government to force all cars sold to have crumple zones. The effect would have been to force everyone to buy Mercedes cars. They didn't do that.

Yup. Luckily it wasn't mandated and we have the choice.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I don't know. That is why I was asking. Since most every saw has that inefficient design I suspect that it was. I have never seen a saw come with out that style guard. Even the Saw Stop has it IIRC.

Reply to
Leon

Powermatic 66 has a different style design. ;-) I like it better than the clumsy things that come on the other saws.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Different but basically the same. I was thinking that it was indeed different but it still comes up from the back and covers the blade. Can't be used when cutting dado's. I do see however that the newly designed saw comes with a riving knife.

Reply to
Leon

OK, I see what you're after now. Since I don't feel the need to use a guard when cutting dados or using a sled, I hadn't thought of that aspect. But since dados are not through cuts, it would require an over-arm type, like the Beisemeyer and others - or an overhead mount. They're prolly never going to include those types as standard equipment.

But they should ALL include a pop-out riving knife that tracks the blade height.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

That would be me heading in that direction. I have a hard drive that I've owned for 12 years now, has been in several different computers over the years, runs constantly, and still not one single new bad sector since I brought it home. Typically, I don't keep old hard drives like this because they're too old and too small, but a firewall doesn't need speed or size, it just needs to load and log (I've thought of building a CD-ROM version of this firewall that syslogs to another system).

Reply to
Odinn

Hi Leon -

Everyone makes mistakes... it's how you fix 'em that counts.

Statistics are what makes getting bigger less fun. With about 1000 people employed, those 1 in 1000 events happen with some regularity ... :)

We're still installing 1 Sawstop per month, until all the other saws are gone. So far so good - and no misfires. Our staff really like the saw.

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

And or what you do to help prevent them.

Way too often I am sure.

Reply to
Leon

Um, what's happening with the old saws? :)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

All the ten-year-old 5hp Unisaws with 50" Bies fences are being scrapped out, due to high scrapmetal prices and the lawyer's liability recommendations. If they're replaced with SawStops, which are obviously safer, then we could be held liable for reselling obviously unsafe equipment.

Let the games begin... :)

"Chip" ...who is obviously kidding.

Reply to
Chip Chester

That would probably be totally on point in the U.S..

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Mike Berger

He paid me $800 per unit to haul them away.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Does this mean that Lee Valley might start dealing with SawStop-specific accessories such as zero-clearance inserts, sliding tables, etc.?

I hope, I hope.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Spitz