Any Saw Stop Owners

Page 7 of 8

On 17 Dec 2005 12:20:42 GMT, Bruce Barnett

Six sigma is a good set of tools, but again, change your definition of "opportunity for defect", and you can skew it by several orders of magnitude.

Yes, the analysis tools that come along with it are valuable.

They've actually backed off quite a bit. It was turning into a cult, which turned off quite a lot of people there, and impeded progress substantially in many cases.

Right, because every GE business is exactly the same, is that it?

Yeah, because appliances and power systems are, you know, exactly the same thing. But, managers make bad decisions for a variety of reasons, no surprise there, I guess.

No. I don't believe that.

No I don't know. But you are welcome to your own opinion.
writes:

Such a waste of good sarcasm.

Indeed.

In general I've found that politeness is the best response to a sarcastic asshole.
Not that I needed to use it this time.
On 18 Dec 2005 13:15:51 GMT, Bruce Barnett

Pointing out that GE is made up of many businesses, which vary greatly in management, criticality, and quality, is being a sarcastic asshole? Funny, I thought I was speaking from direct personal experience based on more than a dozen years working there.
Or was it my point that managers make arbitrary bad decisions for a variety of reasons? Maybe that hit close to home or something? (shrug)

If you said it that way - I would have not problems with it. I deliberately worded my response to be middle of the road, neither saying 6-sigma was great, or saying it was a crock. If you wanted to agree with me or disagree with me, fine.
But you chose the sarcastic tone as a response, implying I was stupid.

So that automatically make you right? And this supposed superiority of yours grants you the privilege of being sarcastic instead of being civil?

And now a personal attack?
I stand by my comment.
On 19 Dec 2005 12:24:23 GMT, Bruce Barnett

I, likewise, didn't make a judgement call on six-sigma. It's a great set of tools but was initially implemented in a heavy-handed, obstructive way at GE.

Actually, that just implies that I'm sarcastic. Which I acknowledge.

Hell, you can get the same information reading the annual report. It's even online.

You seem awfully touchy, Bruce. I thought that that might be one logical reason that you took it so personally when I commented about bad decision-making by managers.

Glad to hear it. As do I.
Upscale wrote:

Computer hard drives. MTBF 500,000 hours.
http://www.byteandswitch.com/document.asp?doc_id (069
Larry Bud wrote:

So how come one of my hard drives went kaput within 6 years, from intermittent use? :)
Dave

You are on the wrong side of the "Mean" time. Some other user has a hard drive that will last 63 years to offset your loss.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hmm...a drive that can last 63 years, but is obsolete within 63 days of purchase. Every time I've purchased a HD, within a couple of weeks, there's a newer model that boasts much larger capacity for less money. Dave
On 12/21/2005 1:30 PM Edwin Pawlowski mumbled something about the following:

That would be me heading in that direction. I have a hard drive that I've owned for 12 years now, has been in several different computers over the years, runs constantly, and still not one single new bad sector since I brought it home. Typically, I don't keep old hard drives like this because they're too old and too small, but a firewall doesn't need speed or size, it just needs to load and log (I've thought of building a CD-ROM version of this firewall that syslogs to another system).
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

to?
IT WORKS! Well received the filters from saw stop and Rick can now use the saw with no problems, but Mark proved that the filters don't interferer with the operation of the machine by using his thumb! Seriously we just avoided a serious accident Mark has a bandage on this thumb and is back working (a little shaken) instead of being at the hospital Joe (OP)
Great to hear.. The saw stops just paid for all the eaten blades and trouble to get some filters for one problematic operator!
In my home State of Washington, the Labor and Industries costs of an accident are marked up 35% from what all the costs are, then added to the experience pool of the employeer. If they are lucky the don't go into the next tier, but generally they do after an accident requiring micro-surgeries.
Washington collects EVERY PENNY from you +, their L&I makes money in this State.

Would be interested in hearing details regarding that potential injury. i.e, how serious was the "nick" that a bandage was required? What were the circumstances? etc. It sounds like the saw may have just paid for itself.
Hi, Mark was ripping a stair tread to 9-1/2" (we have treads in 9" and 10") there was a strip of wood less than 1/2" as a drop, for what ever reason he went to push the drop piece out of the way with his left thumb, he pushed the blade instead. His thumb much like the hotdog had a nick the width of the blade but not deep at all. Gave him a good scare and I am sure his thumb will throb a little tonight but he is fine. It's amazing how little impact there is on the saw when this happens, it a very well built machine we have a Powermatic 66 and a Delta unisaw here also and the are not in the same class as this saw, I even am reusing one of the blades that was imbedded into a cartridge. Joe

supposed
Stop
in
no
the

... snip

Wow, sounds like the saw really did save a thumb and some very serious injury.
    --What are these "filters" you're referring to? I've yet to have a cartridge activate so maybe I've got a newer iteration?
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Nihil curo de ista tua
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : stulta superstitione...