Any Saw Stop Owners

Such a waste of good sarcasm.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Indeed.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

In general I've found that politeness is the best response to a sarcastic asshole.

Not that I needed to use it this time.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Pointing out that GE is made up of many businesses, which vary greatly in management, criticality, and quality, is being a sarcastic asshole? Funny, I thought I was speaking from direct personal experience based on more than a dozen years working there.

Or was it my point that managers make arbitrary bad decisions for a variety of reasons? Maybe that hit close to home or something? (shrug)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If you said it that way - I would have not problems with it. I deliberately worded my response to be middle of the road, neither saying 6-sigma was great, or saying it was a crock. If you wanted to agree with me or disagree with me, fine.

But you chose the sarcastic tone as a response, implying I was stupid.

So that automatically make you right? And this supposed superiority of yours grants you the privilege of being sarcastic instead of being civil?

And now a personal attack?

I stand by my comment.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

I, likewise, didn't make a judgement call on six-sigma. It's a great set of tools but was initially implemented in a heavy-handed, obstructive way at GE.

Actually, that just implies that I'm sarcastic. Which I acknowledge.

Hell, you can get the same information reading the annual report. It's even online.

You seem awfully touchy, Bruce. I thought that that might be one logical reason that you took it so personally when I commented about bad decision-making by managers.

Glad to hear it. As do I.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

With all due respect. 99.9999% quality says that out of one million tries, you get 1 catastrophic (on the order of a sawstop misfire) failure, not one in ten-thousand as you state. Right now, I NEVER, EVER expect my current tablesaw to suddenly stop and mangle it's own blade and be generally unavailable for an uncertain amount of time. With the current SAWSTOP I am certain the chances are much better than

1 in a million of a misfire.

I consider myself a modestly careful woodworker. If I get that funny feeling in my gut. I will stop and take an extra couple of hours to make a jig for safety sake. I value my digits more than my time, because my real job requires them, and I don't have Lloyds insurance to feed my family if I can't work.

What I am saying is that I am willing to go from NEVER EVER, to perhaps

1 chance in a million of having a mangled blade. That is all contingent that this thing truely does what it implies it will do. I don't think it has been tested on live fingers, in every possible working condition (only on chickens and hotdogs). It's certainly not as hard as testing nukes, but it's another one of those inventions you can't really truely 'test' in the lab (at least without human rights issues).

I also question the ethics of an inventer who goes from: "this technology will save your fingers", to: "the goverment needs to mandate this because I say it's safe".

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

I saw it demoed with a frozen hotdog. The demonstrator said that the inventor demos it at woodworking shows using his fingers.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

What is the latest from joe, his followup is missing here..

Unless there is some more information could this be a troll?

Reply to
arw01

Wow, I'm suspected of being a troll. That's a first for me...

I saw the sawstop demoed at the local woodworking expo. Some wiseguy in the audience suggested that the exibitor use his finger. He refused but said that the inventor does indeed demo it with his finger.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

From what I've heard the exhibitor is smart; the hotdogs they have used have been nicked, indicating a finger coming into contact with a Sawstop equipped blade would be left bleeding. IIRC, I've even seen one picture of a nicked up finger somewhere online, but I might be wrong on that.

Dave

Reply to
David

Well, if I was the inventor, I'd be willing to do the real finger test for the purposes of marketing the Sawstop. I wouldn't have the courage to move my finger into the blade fast enough to be capable of taking it off, but I'd be willing do it slowly with the possibility of nicking the finger. Hell, I don't think I've ever built anything without coming away with a nick somewhere or a splinter or stubbing a body part or something like that.

Reply to
Upscale

I would think that anyone with the smarts to invent the SawStop is also smart enough not to touch the SHARP, POINTY part of the spinning blade, but the smooth side, which will probably not result in a cut (maybe a slight friction burn) but give the same desired result.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Stachoni

I'd like to see someone push their hand into it in a manner simulating a "worst case scenario". How do we *know* it will work with an actual hand?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I've found it best not to test the effectiveness of a safety device. You stay in better shape that way.

Reply to
CW

Didn't the inventor of the GFI also put "life and limb" on the line in his marketing? Or rather - put his son at risk? I tried a google search, and didn't find anything.

Perhaps I just heard a urban legend.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Hi Chris -

I can't put my finger on it... but I'm pretty sure there's been a contact "incident" in the installed base of saws already....and it functioned properly.

We will take (or have taken ) delivery of our first Sawstop saw.... we will eventually (as soon as we can get 'em) replace every table/cabinet saw we have.... something like 13-15 saws...

From an employer's perspective - there's virtually no choice but to adopt the most stringent safety standards as soon as practical. With an organisation our size.... the incidence of certain types of injuries approaches a certainty.... what's 1 in 2000 odds for the average joe is 1 in

2 odds for us....or better!

If it prevents 1 injury, it'll be worth it. We've had 1 injury already.... and it was a guy with decades of experience. It just takes a second....

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

There is a very big difference between a demonstration where you have a scripted and controlled environment, and rigorous, scientific testing where you explore every possible condition of using the product. I'll bet that the inventor does the demo exactly the same way every time. I'd like to see if he would be willing to try the demo differently each time that simulates all the possible and varied ways people would use the sawstop. There are different styles, body types, skin types, etc.. How does a pacemaker affect the product? What about if you are standing in a puddle of water or grease? I'm not an electrical engineer, but I understand that a product that is claiming to do what this does better be completely tested.

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

You'd do better claiming not to be a lawyer.

Reply to
Swingman

You're scary!

Reply to