Any Saw Stop Owners

Page 4 of 8

Chris Friesen wrote:

From what I've heard the exhibitor is smart; the hotdogs they have used have been nicked, indicating a finger coming into contact with a Sawstop equipped blade would be left bleeding. IIRC, I've even seen one picture of a nicked up finger somewhere online, but I might be wrong on that.
Dave

Well, if I was the inventor, I'd be willing to do the real finger test for the purposes of marketing the Sawstop. I wouldn't have the courage to move my finger into the blade fast enough to be capable of taking it off, but I'd be willing do it slowly with the possibility of nicking the finger. Hell, I don't think I've ever built anything without coming away with a nick somewhere or a splinter or stubbing a body part or something like that.

I would think that anyone with the smarts to invent the SawStop is also smart enough not to touch the SHARP, POINTY part of the spinning blade, but the smooth side, which will probably not result in a cut (maybe a slight friction burn) but give the same desired result.
Matt
Matt Stachoni wrote:

I'd like to see someone push their hand into it in a manner simulating a "worst case scenario". How do we *know* it will work with an actual hand?
JP
I've found it best not to test the effectiveness of a safety device. You stay in better shape that way.

Didn't the inventor of the GFI also put "life and limb" on the line in his marketing? Or rather - put his son at risk? I tried a google search, and didn't find anything.
Perhaps I just heard a urban legend.
On 20 Dec 2005 12:30:37 GMT, Bruce Barnett

Dunno, but the guy who invented the "Second Chance" ballistic vest tested it on himself, on tape. Dramatic footage.

wrote in message

I'd
You're scary!
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Think so? Maybe you're just lucky or extra careful or maybe I'm unlucky and careless. I've always considered a small amount of pain as just part of the process. Be it a splinter or sore muscles from hand sanding something or getting a blister on my hand from twisting a screwdriver or whatever. I'd guess it also depends on what kind of woodworking one is doing too. Of the woodworking I do, cabinet making using a veneered plywood is my favourite and that automatically means a few splinters somewhere in the process.
wrote in message

that.
and
the
I was banking on the fact that I've established myself *not* to be one of the safety nazi's and was trying to throw a little light hearted jab your way. I have to admit - I was also thinking more of a little nicked finger here, a little nicked finger there more than I was thinking about a splinter...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

<snip>
Hi Chris -
I can't put my finger on it... but I'm pretty sure there's been a contact "incident" in the installed base of saws already....and it functioned properly.
We will take (or have taken ) delivery of our first Sawstop saw.... we will eventually (as soon as we can get 'em) replace every table/cabinet saw we have.... something like 13-15 saws...
From an employer's perspective - there's virtually no choice but to adopt the most stringent safety standards as soon as practical. With an organisation our size.... the incidence of certain types of injuries approaches a certainty.... what's 1 in 2000 odds for the average joe is 1 in 2 odds for us....or better!
If it prevents 1 injury, it'll be worth it. We've had 1 injury already.... and it was a guy with decades of experience. It just takes a second....
Cheers -
Rob

will
If I might ask Robin, what purpose would that number of saws serve for Lee Valley Tools? I can envision a tablesaw or two for testing purposes and maybe for research purposes when making new products. But, without my thumbing through your catalogue, I don't remember seeing too many wooden or plastic products constructed by LV where a tablesaw might be required.
wrote in message

we
or
Hi -
Every store has a full woodshop....we make all of our own displays, and prepare course material etc. ...
Then we have woodshops for the R&D guys, and for general corporate use....
Cheers -
Rob

Yes, my apologies, I completely forgot about the courses that each store runs. It would be interesting once you get the Sawstops in for some of your woodworkers to write and post their opinion of the machine.
... snip

Is that last one there a thinly veiled "Robin's workshop" with lot's of cool tools? :-)

Plus, I imagine that your insurers who write your policies are going to be thrilled as well :)
Matt
The Robin Lee entity posted thusly:

Aside from "joe", who just posted about a contact incident, yes, there have been a few. I just recently started reading the Wreck, and as soon as I spotted the SawStop threads, checked out their web site. There are a few testimonials and reports of contact incidents, all successful.
Love your store, BTW.
Larry
--
There are 10 kinds of people --

Oh, so you and your crew are not immortal or incapable or making a mistake either. There are some people that think that they are. LOL

already....
Hi Leon -
Everyone makes mistakes... it's how you fix 'em that counts.
Statistics are what makes getting bigger less fun. With about 1000 people employed, those 1 in 1000 events happen with some regularity ... :)
We're still installing 1 Sawstop per month, until all the other saws are gone. So far so good - and no misfires. Our staff really like the saw.
Cheers -
Rob

And or what you do to help prevent them.

Way too often I am sure.