Any Saw Stop Owners

On 12/14/2005 4:34 PM Leon mumbled something about the following:

Not urban legend. I screw up watches when I wear them. I did actually purchase a $19 Timex in 98 that kept perfect time for 5 years until I had to replace the battery. It never kept time after than (tried 3 different batteries).

Reply to
Odinn

In part, yes.

Yup. Lots of variables in relying on electrical means to determine if flesh is in contact with the blade, and wood and flesh aren't all that different, sometimes.

That's the biggest problem I see with their approach. They started out with their regulatory approach rather than making a good product that works well.

In my case, I've designed and implemented commercial systems using electrical current measurements to determine the positions of materials, so I'd say I'm a bit beyond "armchair" on the topic. The problems inherent in the situation are immense, not the least of which being leakage current issues...in a difficult environement...

Well, Leon or whatever his name is, isn't the easiest person to talk to, which never helps when trying to shill for a product.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I don't own a saw stop, nor will I in the foreseeable future. I just want to show some appreciation for all you 'beta' testers out there helping to mature the technology. I think it's a great idea, and if it can be proven to not misfire 99.9999 percent of the time, I would certainly get one on my next table saw, 100 years from now.

Reply to
Todd the wood junkie

Pretty much an urban legend, but tempered with enough facts to make analysis tricky. In nearly every case I have seen, the watch was out of adjustment, so it runs OK at ambient temp, but runs fast or slow when on a wrist with a higher temp. Or, the battery had been "replaced" in a not-so-tradesmanlike manner, or the wearer/owner was incredibly rough on watches (and just about everthing else for that mattter)

electricity that he may set the

Quite possible, BUT protection against electrostatic events is relatively easy to design in, and, it MUST be extensively tested to demonstrate it's immmunity. To not do these things would be stupid and just asking for it. The same applies for immunity from RF fields, such as nearby cellphones, 2 way radios, arc welders,etc. Given that it's going into an uncontrolled industrial environment, it's reasonable to expect a high degree of immunity designed in, and tested for.

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Tell me, aside from a few calculations on your computer, what do you own that is 99.9999% effective? Name one thing.

Reply to
Upscale

there's a lot of things that effective. that's only about 30 seconds/year of downtime. i've seen lots of computers do that easily. of course, i work for

most common household objects are effective in that range, lots are more effective.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Shoot, If I own something that _isn't_ that effective - it goes into the land fill/recycle bin in short order. Of course, I don't own too many _really new_ devices - and that's why.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Bookshelves, tables, desks...oh wait, did you mean they should have moving parts?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

99.9999% is 1/10,000th. Name one thing that has worked perfectly every time, failing only one time in 10,000?
Reply to
Upscale

My refrigerator has had zero seconds of downtime in about 8 years. Likewise my pencil sharpener; it always works. And so on. 6 nines isn't remarkable for uncomplicated machinery.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You've converted 99.9999% into a few seconds of time as balanced against a year. To me being effective means how many times has it been used and maintained that effectiveness.

And face it, we're talking about a Sawstop which is considerably more complicated than anything you'd label as uncomplicated machinery. If it fell into that category, my guess is that it would have been on the market years ago.

Reply to
Upscale

Hey, that's getting kind of personal. And that one time I was really tired having worked a long day. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Critical components in aerospace applications are required to be a LOT more reliable that a mere 99.9999%

I worked with a company that made internetworking backbone equipment. Our customers demanded a better level of reliability than that. And these devices are a LOT more complex than a Sawstop.

I have a 50 year old tractor that seems that reliable. And it sits on a very, very, old concrete pad that is at least 99.9999% effective and reliable.

I'm sure the Sawstop electronics and mechanism can be made reliable, however, if the fundamental concept is flawed, (ie, it cannot reliably discriminate between wet woood and dry hands) then it has a bigger problem)

In the event of spurious tripping, do they offer free cartridges and new blades forever? I could be interested then.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

On Fri 16 Dec 2005 04:36:41p, "Upscale" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

No offense meant, Upscale, but in the context we're talking here, I think the possibility that my tablesaw will eat my tablesaw blade is about .0001 percent. I can't prove it but I'm operating on that assumption.

If I thought the percentage was higher, I think I'd sell my tablesaw.

Reply to
Dan

Whew and I thought I was the only one that happened to. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Look into "6 Sigma" - here's a FAQ:

achieve 6 sigma quality, you need 3.4 defects per 6 million opportunities.

Thousands of businesses are using this data-driven methodology to improve quality and profit.

GE, for instance, claims to have saved $10 billion because of this. They really needed to, because their quality was low at the time. I heard of a story where some city was going to buy a $5 million generator, and when the boss found out that they were planning to by a GE generator - he said "No way. My wife bought a GE refrigerator, and it was a piece of crap."

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Shouldn't that be one in a million?

R, Tom Q.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

I'm pointing out that measurement statistics are useless when you can just change the unit of measure to shift the digits around.

I'd say it's about as complicated as a refrigerator, maybe less so. That's why I chose that and not, say, a yard stick.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

"opportunity for defect", and you can skew it by several orders of magnitude.

Yes, the analysis tools that come along with it are valuable.

They've actually backed off quite a bit. It was turning into a cult, which turned off quite a lot of people there, and impeded progress substantially in many cases.

Right, because every GE business is exactly the same, is that it?

Yeah, because appliances and power systems are, you know, exactly the same thing. But, managers make bad decisions for a variety of reasons, no surprise there, I guess.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No. I don't believe that.

No I don't know. But you are welcome to your own opinion.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett