Any Saw Stop Owners

Page 3 of 8

hmm....sounds more like a "painless" solution to me...unless you count the pain in making all those former table saw cuts by hand...
John E.

I've had this happen with one of my SawStops. It misfired twice in a week period. SawStop sent me free replacement cartridges and some filters to put around one of the control cables in the saw. With the filters in place I have not had a misfire since (4 months).
-- Craig
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

See that, Leon? <g>
--
Regards,

Yeah... :~) Now I have heard of this problem. I did not doubt that there could be a problem and I am sure there are other out there with the same problem.
Did you see my reference of the watch problem back in the 60's in an earlier post in this thread? Joe the OP has found that out of the 10 people that use this saw that the misfire only happens to one person. He seems to think it is a digital watch problem. How coincidental is that???
I don't own a saw stop, nor will I in the foreseeable future. I just want to show some appreciation for all you 'beta' testers out there helping to mature the technology. I think it's a great idea, and if it can be proven to not misfire 99.9999 percent of the time, I would certainly get one on my next table saw, 100 years from now.

Tell me, aside from a few calculations on your computer, what do you own that is 99.9999% effective? Name one thing.
wrote in message

there's a lot of things that effective. that's only about 30 seconds/year of downtime. i've seen lots of computers do that easily. of course, i work for http://stratus.com . most common household objects are effective in that range, lots are more effective.
Charles Spitzer said:

Shoot, If I own something that _isn't_ that effective - it goes into the land fill/recycle bin in short order. Of course, I don't own too many _really new_ devices - and that's why.
Greg G.

of
for
99.9999% is 1/10,000th. Name one thing that has worked perfectly every time, failing only one time in 10,000?

My refrigerator has had zero seconds of downtime in about 8 years. Likewise my pencil sharpener; it always works. And so on. 6 nines isn't remarkable for uncomplicated machinery.

You've converted 99.9999% into a few seconds of time as balanced against a year. To me being effective means how many times has it been used and maintained that effectiveness.
And face it, we're talking about a Sawstop which is considerably more complicated than anything you'd label as uncomplicated machinery. If it fell into that category, my guess is that it would have been on the market years ago.

I'm pointing out that measurement statistics are useless when you can just change the unit of measure to shift the digits around.

I'd say it's about as complicated as a refrigerator, maybe less so. That's why I chose that and not, say, a yard stick.

Hey, that's getting kind of personal. And that one time I was really tired having worked a long day. Ed

Whew and I thought I was the only one that happened to. LOL

No offense meant, Upscale, but in the context we're talking here, I think the possibility that my tablesaw will eat my tablesaw blade is about .0001 percent. I can't prove it but I'm operating on that assumption.
If I thought the percentage was higher, I think I'd sell my tablesaw.
Upscale wrote: <snip>

Shouldn't that be one in a million?
R, Tom Q.
--
Remove bogusinfo to reply.

With all due respect. 99.9999% quality says that out of one million tries, you get 1 catastrophic (on the order of a sawstop misfire) failure, not one in ten-thousand as you state. Right now, I NEVER, EVER expect my current tablesaw to suddenly stop and mangle it's own blade and be generally unavailable for an uncertain amount of time. With the current SAWSTOP I am certain the chances are much better than 1 in a million of a misfire.
I consider myself a modestly careful woodworker. If I get that funny feeling in my gut. I will stop and take an extra couple of hours to make a jig for safety sake. I value my digits more than my time, because my real job requires them, and I don't have Lloyds insurance to feed my family if I can't work.
What I am saying is that I am willing to go from NEVER EVER, to perhaps 1 chance in a million of having a mangled blade. That is all contingent that this thing truely does what it implies it will do. I don't think it has been tested on live fingers, in every possible working condition (only on chickens and hotdogs). It's certainly not as hard as testing nukes, but it's another one of those inventions you can't really truely 'test' in the lab (at least without human rights issues).
I also question the ethics of an inventer who goes from: "this technology will save your fingers", to: "the goverment needs to mandate this because I say it's safe".
Todd the wood junkie wrote:

I saw it demoed with a frozen hotdog. The demonstrator said that the inventor demos it at woodworking shows using his fingers.
Chris
What is the latest from joe, his followup is missing here..
Unless there is some more information could this be a troll?
arw01 wrote:

Wow, I'm suspected of being a troll. That's a first for me...
I saw the sawstop demoed at the local woodworking expo. Some wiseguy in the audience suggested that the exibitor use his finger. He refused but said that the inventor does indeed demo it with his finger.
Chris