Any Saw Stop Owners

Do you not read any sources of woodworking information other than this newsgroup?

You didn't say you hadn't seen any complaints _here_. You said you hadn't seen any complaints, period. Which leads me to conclude that you haven't been looking very hard.

Reply to
Doug Miller

True... but the same objective can be achieved at a much lower cost by simply unplugging the saw. :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

See that, Leon?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yeah... :~) Now I have heard of this problem. I did not doubt that there could be a problem and I am sure there are other out there with the same problem.

Did you see my reference of the watch problem back in the 60's in an earlier post in this thread? Joe the OP has found that out of the 10 people that use this saw that the misfire only happens to one person. He seems to think it is a digital watch problem. How coincidental is that???

Reply to
Leon

Published magazine articles were not revalent to the OP's specific question as his question was posted to those in this news group. That said, with you mentioning the PopWood article he should now understand that there is indeed some one else that has had this problem however he is probably not going to get any personal feed back from the person that wrote that article.

(I have not seen any complaints about the Saw Stop other than from the ones that will not buy the saw. I do monitor this group on an almost daily basis.)

In a separate paragraph and with both sentences being in that paragraph, me mentioning that I monitor this group on an almost daily basis would be the indicator here that I was talking about people on this news group. It in no way referenced any other source of information. A logical assumption would be that I have not read any complaints _here_. My comments are simply my findings and an answer to the OP question. His question, Any one have problems with the cartridge firing off when it not supposed to?, was not asking about articles so much as personal experience. I simply stated that I have seen no reference of a problem myself although now that you have mention that article I can now say that I have heard through some on a news group that hey have read an article in PopWood an article that references a cartridge misfiring. ;~) I'm as certain as you are that others are probably having or going to have a similar problem. Anything could happen, Unisaws tend to have a broken trunion problem. LOL

Reply to
Leon

IOW, you haven't been _looking_ for complaints anywhere but here. Hence my comment that you haven't been looking very carefully. You've already amply demonstrated that you're so wrapped up in the idea that the SawStop is the greatest invention since sliced bread that you're not interested in hearing about any of its problems.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Actually I have not been looking for complaints at all. I have read 3 other reviews including a recent one in a magazine on the saw and none had any mention of this problem.

Hence my comment that you haven't been looking very carefully.

Since I have not been looking for complaints at all, I have indeed not been looking carefully.

You've already amply demonstrated that you're so wrapped up in the idea that the SawStop is the

Not so. I do believe it is a great idea but also believe that the saw has to prove itself. I do however defend the idea of the saw and its safety features and am not really interested in hearing non-fact based speculation of what might happen. Up until this thread I have not heard anything negative from an "actual user". Your mentioning the article and the posts by 2 people on this thread have now proveded information that is more than speculation. No big deal, I now know that misfires have indeed been reported. It was only a matter of time before that happened. Thanks for pointing out the article.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, only when cutting small parts like stair returns which we use a push block to cut. But I have now learned that out of the ten people or so that use this saw during the day it has always misfired on the same person, so it sounds like the digital watch problem. I will be calling Saw Stop as soon as the wake up this morning (west coast) Joe

Reply to
Joe

Good Lord. Bill Clinton has been located, and he's shilling for SawStop. It depends on what your definition of the word "is" is, apparently.

No, your words were quite clear that you were unaware of any complaints. So, were you looking other places as well and lied, or are you only looking here and not seeing them.

Imagine my surprise. I wonder if anyone in this group tried to point out the obvious design problems before they went to production.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
nospambob

Now Doug,

It is so unlike you to point out the painfully obvious solution.....;-)

Bob S,

Reply to
Bob S

Who are you responding too?

Reply to
Leon

Is that what is behind the vehemence of the anti sawstop feeling of a few here? I think sawstop is a cool idea if:

1) it (or a future refinement of it) proves itself not to have problems like the OP was citing, 2) the cost of the feature comes down, and 3) big brother doesn't suddenly get the idea of protecting me from myself by requiring such technology.

If there were design problems some folks pointed out, I'd have to ask if those pointing out the problems were arm-chair engineers, or folks who really understood the technology very well. Even if the latter, is it just bruised egos of having the advice ignored that is causing this reaction, or is there something more that might explain such a strong reaction?

Reply to
alexy

check the history of this back a few years. sawstop attempted to have the gov't make it mandatory on all new saws, and holding the patent ...

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Aha! That explains it. I still think it is a neat idea, but glad enough in power did not buy into making it mandatory.

Reply to
alexy

Uh huh. They do not like the methods that Saw Stop was using in the beginning to bring the saw to market so many have become disenchanted with the company as a whole and despite the fact that it has been brought to market in a more ethical way they refuse to admit its existence. I can see their reasons for not wanting the government to mandate this technology but this did not happen. Give it a rest. At ease. Put down your guns. LOL

I think sawstop is a cool idea if:

All legetimate points.

Yes, 95% of are. The other 5% have more level headed and have a realistic out look.

or folks

Bingo.

or is there something more that might explain such a strong

Some people are just slow to change. Owners, those with actual hands on experience with the machine seem to be pleased with their purchases. No one has pointed out being dismayed with their purchase of the saw although it does apear to have an acute misfire problem with some users.

Reply to
Leon

hmm....sounds more like a "painless" solution to me...unless you count the pain in making all those former table saw cuts by hand...

John E.

Reply to
John Emmons

I think sawstop is a cool idea if:

It's that last one there that has a lot of us concerned. Big Brother already got that idea, directly from SawStop. The company petitioned the CPSC to have their technology made mandatory on all new table saws, and *that* is the source of most of the anti-SawStop sentiment here.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Oh, yeah, the guy with three misfires (in as many weeks?) is real pleased with his purchase, I'm sure. Uh-huh. Riiiiiiiight.

Like I said: you're so wrapped up in this idea that you can't bring yourself to see or hear any of the problems with it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

So ask him if he is sorry that he purchased the saw and would seriousely like to return it for a refund. I betting that he probably wants to keep it. It is a machine, like an automobile except much cheaper. The world ain't perfect. The tool is man made just like its competition. Nothing is flawless.

You repeat that, did you for get that you said that? You refuse to acknowledge that I have already acknowledged that there are in deed problems with the machine now that the problems have actually materialized. It is as wrong of a statement now as the first time you said it. I really have no reason to defend the saw. I have no problem agreeing with you when what you say holds water.

Reply to
Leon