Any recommendations on a portable planer?

The more I read, the more I begin to think that I will need (or at least want) a planer for my workshop. Being a hobbiest, I don't need a massive beast ... just something that will do a good job for a long time.

Okay, so the one that seems to stand out for me is the Makita 2012NB 12" Planer. It gets good reviews and is in my price range (under $500). Amazon has its list price at $900, marked down to $412. Sounds like a great deal.

Could anyone vouch for this planer, or recommend a better one for about the same money (or hopefully, less)?

Jack

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

I bought the Makita because it was the lightest on the market, and I have to move it from a shelf to a stand everytime I use it.

It works great, though it has a bit more snipe than I would like; but they probably all do.

But if I were to do it again, I might get something cheaper and heavier. Maybe not, who knows.

Reply to
Toller

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Probably a good choice and reportedly noticeably quieter than the competition.

Reply to
Leon

I've got a Dewalt 735, and it is pure sweetness. I would recomend it highly.

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Buster

I use a DeWally in the workshop as well - although not so much these days as I have a real thicknesser in the shape of a 20" 5HP 3phase jobby . . .

But The DeWally has served me well - and is plenty grunty enough to handle a lot of the heavy duty hardwoods I have thrown through it. I use a long length of Laminated board on which to run the timber through - seems to eliminate any snipe. Very positive adjustment - and locking bar is convenient.

Phil The Nannup Furniture Gallery Support small business ~ Save a Species Today ~ ME!

snipped-for-privacy@swanriverfurniture.com.au

Reply to
Phil Laird

Said to be a great planer, but it is dated and comments of snipe are often accompanied with postive reviews.

A dewalt 735 is the planer you want, the surface out of the low speed option can be finished directly for most projects with SWMBO requirements, saving a TON of time.

Do you have adequate dust collection?

Reply to
arw01

Reply to
nospambob

Don't have the DC in place yet, but I'll make sure that I have adequate HP for it. I'll also have a nice squirrel cage exhaust to take the finer dust out of the air ASAP. And of course, I'll wear my face mask.

Can't be too safe when it comes to wood dust. Nasty stuff!

Jack

arw01 wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

That fan ejection system is just plane out amazing. I had dust and chips over every square ich of my shop... The Bandsaw purchase has been postponed for a good dust collection system now.

Reply to
Buster