Any reason using walnut for bathroom cabinet a bad idea?

I have some walnut lumber that I am considering using to make cabinets for my bathroom. I have raised panel bits that I bought to make the doors but have not started yet. I've looked at many bathroom cabinets in many stores and none are made from walnut. Is there any reason that walnut is not suitable?
Jeff
Probably just price? Mark L.
Jeffrey Boldridge wrote:

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:57:08 GMT, "Jeffrey Boldridge"

Go for it. Walnut is a beautiful wood. I like it more than the all-popular cherry.

stores
Price, or perhaps, because it is dark and dark cabinets tend to make a small room feel smaller.
"Jeffrey Boldridge" writes:

stores
As long as it is protected, no; however, I think I'd find something else to make from that walnut rather than make bathroom cabinets with it.
Purely a personal preference.
BTW, keeping the walnut protected may be a bigger challenge than you expect.
HTH
--
Lew

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 23:57:08 GMT, "Jeffrey Boldridge"

It's a fairly dark (/understatement) wood, but it's gorgeous. ("Designers" find it tres outr, but what do they know?) Go for it!
For the bathroom, you'll want to seal any wood extra well. Make sure you get good coverage on all faces and edges, including the raised panels and the grooves in the rails and stiles. Lacquer should work very well there. I'd even trust Waterlox there.
Pics, please.
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Main reason you don't see walnut in the home improvement displays is cost. When people decide to use a wood in cabinets it often sets a theme throughout the house. Walnut is a good, stable wood and easy to work. Go for it. Good finishing practices will be as good in the bathroom as other areas.

stores

stores
It's a horrible wood to use and you should send it all to me and I'll pay shipping.
On a serious note though, walnut is prolly my favorite wood to work with as far as darker wood goes. It machines fabulously. Make sure to wear a dust mask though 'cuz the dust is somewhat caustic and annoying. When finishing, don't use straight polyurethane. It just doesn't look good imho. I've been using a wipeable custom poly/oil blend (heavier on the oil) to finish walnut with. After great fan fare here, I'm going to try Waterlox brand next. Anywho, good luck with your bathroom cabinet. Walnut is an excellent choice! When you are done with the cabinet, try some walnut wainscotting to compliment it. And do keep us updated on your progress. Pictures mebbe? SH

Hi Jeff, just a little info you may or may not know. Walnut has a natural oil in it like white oak that prevents it from rotting. I realize it's not going to be getting soaked but I thought you may find this interesting. Jana
Jeffery, I just started the same project out of walnut. Pictuere here. http://www.teamcasa.org/workshop/currentproject.htm
Dave

stores