Any Opinions on this?

Page 2 of 2
My 2 cents:
I tried one of the less expensive solutions -- the Beadlock by Rockler. Th en I got a screaming deal on a used Domino. The difference is night and da y. The Beadlock was a PITA and if I was a half-hair off on setup the tenon s wouldn't seat in perfect alignment. It would take 10 minutes for one joi nt as compared to less than a minute with the Domino.
Cost, of course, is another story. I'm using my shop vac but had to buy th e Festool hose. $80 IIRC for the hose!!
Larry
On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:19:21 AM UTC-5, ChairMan wrote:

8TC/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t?ie=UTF8&colid?S2WHQ8HSM8V&coliid=I39A0Y5JDP VR3D>

I looked at the beadlock and dowelmax, but neither offer 7/16" option for dowels. I guess I'll just stick with the way I've been doing it for years

<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't tryin to start a war about the domino. I normally use a Stanley #59 doweling jig and have used the self centering type, both are usually off a bit. I guess for doweling *perfect* alignment a boring machine is the answer. I just ran across the Freud a month or so a go I thought about it, and didn't bite because of the reviews. I was just wondering if anyone had personal experience with one. The logic of the alignment issues makes sense now that I know the domino allows wigggle room. That usually what I do with the doweling jigs, either wallow it a tad or shave a bit off one side of the dowel Thanks again for the replies
On 5/21/13 11:28 PM, ChairMan wrote:

War? That was a very civil discussion.
--

-MIKE-

I know......but sarcasm doesn't type well <g> Hell, I learnt that even the domino ya gotta wallow, who woulda thunk it

A time honored method of installation.
I started out a few decades ago using dowels, a hand drill and a drilling jig. Loved dowels and found them to be quite an asset to strength, but time consuming for multiple dowels to be used in a fit up.
Then we all went to splines, and bought quarter inch stock and sized it on a hand powered miter saw to get the correct length. We cut the mortises as needed with a fly bit though, using a router. If we were being finicky, we could clean up the edges of our cut groove with a quarter in chisel.
Went to biscuits as it was essentially our fly cutter permanently mounted in a machine that we could move. Much more portable, and not so much over travel to make sure you got the mortise large enough to shift for alignment purposes. Used it for years, found the maker of the biscuits as well as the storage method directly affected fit.
Realized that with today's modern glue, didn't really need biscuits like I thought I did, and went back to glue only on layups. Still like the biscuit for 90 degree edge joints.
Tried many other forms of all wood joinery, and became happy with the occasional use of the biscuit machine again. (Believe it or not, Leon had a hand in that!)
Still looking for the perfect system. Can't justify the Domino, although I have tried every way I can to do so. To me, it looks about as perfect as automated joint cutting devices can be, and certainly Leon's inventiveness in using it for all manner of joinery bear that out.
Maybe one day...
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I use biscuit where sheer strength isn't an issue, but when it comes to putting a furniture frame together. Arms, rails and back posts *have to be* doweled. As far as storing buscuits, I've started putting those little silca packs that ya get in your vitamins and such in the jar to absorb moisture. works pretty good(so far)
Agreed!
I use biscuits rarely but when I do it is for alignment. Screws, pins, plugs, whatever has the strength afterwards. Even glue is tougher - the biscuits keep the parts from sliding.
Martin
On 5/23/2013 11:58 PM, ChairMan wrote:

No war at all! I figured that others were reading also an might appreciate the info..