Any opinions on Betterley's table saw insert?

It's an interesting concept: an insert within an insert. Here's a link: http://www.betterleytools.com/new_page_11.htm If anyone on the list has experience with it, please share. I'm interested in finding out about the fit and finish and overall machining -- good, bad, whatever? And whether there's any merit to the idea at all. Thanks, Lewis

Kind of neat but expensive. I made a half dozen inserts in an hour or so with a cost of 50 each. Made them from 1/2" MDF. Your money, your choice.

As a solid surface fabricator, I have been using Art Betterley's tools for over 10 years. He's a one-of-a-kind innovator. (Look at his cove router on his home page...I own one) I looked at that insert he makes.. smart, well made as usual, but pricey. You get what you pay for, and with Betterley you even get a little more.
Rob
"Dynamite With A Laserbeam"

How is the spring thingy supposed to work?
This concept has been around for quite a while.
Norm even had a similar insert on his saw. I can't remember the company name but Woodcraft sold these inserts a few years back. I recall a $90 price ????
Lewis wrote:

Pat Barber responds:

Yes. IIRC, the insert was dovetailed wood. I see no reason to pay for something like that, though. Use aluminum for the actual insert, dovetail the center of a sheet of the metal, shape it, and then cut a long strip of wood that has been dovetailed to fit. For 100 bucks, you could probably make yourself a few dozen, with enough inserts for a small army. Slight exaggeration, of course. Make a half dozen and run the inserts out of scrap.
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill
Too many $$ unless you really want it. I just keep a stack of disposables on hand.
Take the insert that came with your saw (or one you like better) and use a pattern router bit to make a bunch of copies from 1/2 plywood. If you need to modify, cut, screw a stop to one, who cares? After you are done, just pitch it and grab the next one off the stack.
Matthew