any opinion on thickness planers?

Harbor freight wood planers Makita Dewalt delta
etc
what has the best long-lasting blades? easy to change blades low snipe best cost
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Based on your priorities, maybe you should get one with a spiral cutterhead (see grizzly.com, for instance).
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

The DW735 has a great reputation. Blades are easy but tedious to change, run about $55 all over the place, but I have no idea how long they last vs the competition.
The DW735X models usually have an infeed and outfeed extension table. I don't have them, and have just gotten into the habit of supporting the board as it comes out of the planer. As long as I do that, the snipe is minimal if present at all.
Puckdropper
On 20 May 2016 16:09:43 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

has them for $50.
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)63797182&sr=8-2&keywordswalt+dw735>

Happy with my Delta but cannot compare it to the others as I've not tried them. Dewalt has a good reputation too.

any of the new stuff for a long time to come, and they are often available for a pretty good price.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

Electric Comet, buy the tool that matches your requirements.
Far more important are criteria such as how wide the typical stock is that you'll be planing, how much use the planer will receive, how much space you have for the planer (and associated infeed and outfeed tables), how much cash you're willing to spend, what type of material you'll be planing most often and whether it will be used for rough or finish planing.
On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 12:53:03 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

What Scott said...Many variables. Dewalt 735 is a beast, and blades are not only double sided, I believe they can be sharpened. It is also set up well for dust ejection/collection. Keep your eyes open for local yard sales/cra igslist, and even eBay. Use the search word "planner" as many sellers seem to use that spelling...(and even "plainer" but not quite as often...)
On 5/20/2016 11:52 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Are you sure that is Comet??? He used a spot of punctuation.
I guess enough have blocked his other name, add another to the list.

Any with non disposable blades. If you want bench top, look for a Ryobi AP 10 planer, it has non disposable blades but has been out of production for years. I bought one new before any one else was making bench top planers, mid 80's. IIRC

Ryobi AP10

This also has a lot to do with "your" technique, it is not just the planer.

Festool does not offer one yet.