Any ONe made a panel Saw?

I seem to be cutting a bit of plywood as of late. A panel saw would make this easier. There doesn't apear to be much to them, a sled on rails that holds a saw. Comercial units look like $1200 and up. Has anybody made one?
Thanks
Mark
MG (in snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com) said:
| I seem to be cutting a bit of plywood as of late. A panel saw would | make this easier. There doesn't apear to be much to them, a sled on | rails that holds a saw. Comercial units look like $1200 and up. | Has anybody made one?
I'm working on one in my spare time - photos at the link below.
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/panel_saw /

There are cheapie versions offered as plans/projects in the woodworking magazines on a semi regular basis. Here is one.
http://www.plansnow.com/panelcutguide.html

I didn't build the kind you're probably thinking about. I built this one: http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/panel_cutting_table.htm
And I'll never have a dedicated panel cutter in this little bitty shop. The table works great. I made eight and a four foot guides for it, tuned up the circ saw and bought a nice new blade, and it really works great. Doubles as a work surface. Loaned it to the neighbor when her and her dad were putting in a new screen door and fixing the garage. Also loaned it to her for the neighborhood rummage sale (put an old door on it and it works fine.) Used it to cut the vinyl flooring for the bathroom. And it folds up and stores with the rest of the sheet goods, and it cost 20 bucks and change.
Just don't have the space in that shop for a normal panel cutter when this thing does just as good a job.
Did I mention I really like it?
I have a pretty good sized shop, but nowhere enough wall space. if I can get some of the wood storage under cover outside I may be able to change that.
so what I do is cut it flat on my assembly bench with a 4' Tsquare I made for the purpose. works for me.
I have the Smart Guide from eurekazone.com It's the best guide I've used for the cost of well under $200.00 delivered. I also have the Smart Table. Their system does everything they say it does, I wouldn't be without either. Just another happy customer.

Take a look at the practical setup I used to cut the panels for my Kitchen remodel. It uses a solid core door and one of the better Clamp and Tool guides. The wood is fully supported during the cut and is easy to use since the panel is flat on the table.
See it at www.woodworkinghobby.com
Good Luck!
Dennis

Thank you all for the ideas.
Mark
I have the Smart Guide from eurekazone.com It's the best guide I've used for the price well under $200.00 and I also have the Smart Table. Their system does everything they say it does. I wouldn't part with either one. Just another happy customer. Fred.

MG wrote:

I was looking at a used one for $500. Since HQ, Builder's square, and Payless all went belly up, people buy them, use them a couple of years, then realize the amount of space it takes for the few projects of use. I went with the Eurekazone system, several others I know went with either a sawboard or those proline clamps and a cutting table.