Any mechanisms available for slide-out, drop-down drawers?

I want to build a cabinet for some tools that are very flat and generally thin. What I'd like is a set of drawers that slide out and drop down to a, say, 45 degree angle so I can see the whole tool. Are there any slide mechanisms available that do this or am I stuck using my own, handmade, solution? TIA Norm
Norm Dresner wrote:

Maybe a keyboard tray but they are usually bulky. Try here: http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID  or here: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/index.aspx?c=2
But be careful... I just got my first Lee Valley catalog and my list of 'must have' tools is growing with every page turn.
what does your handmade solution look like ? Any photos ?
Norm Dresner wrote:

Tue, Nov 14, 2006, 3:24pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@att.net (NormDresner) doth proclaimeth: I want to build a cabinet for some tools that are very flat and generally thin. What I'd like is a set of drawers that slide out and drop down to a, say, 45 degree angle so I can see the whole tool. Are there any slide mechanisms available that do this or am I stuck using my own, handmade, solution?
Well, if you want to look a bit I'm pretty sure there's some mechanism out there that'll do it. Could be costy tho. And bulky.
If you want to make your own, I've seen some along those lines. Some used a dowel extending out a bit on each side of the drawer, then a stop on each side. There's different variations, but no rocket science involved. Sit down and think on it for a few minutes and you should be able to come up with something that'll work.
Or, you could just slide the drawer out completely, then either lay it flat or at an angle, to look at the tool(s). I'd probably go for this option.
JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

I guess I don't see how dropping it down at an angle is any better than a full extension slide?
-Leuf
| wrote: | | >I want to build a cabinet for some tools that are very flat and generally | >thin. What I'd like is a set of drawers that slide out and drop down to a, | >say, 45 degree angle so I can see the whole tool. Are there any slide | >mechanisms available that do this or am I stuck using my own, handmade, | >solution? | | I guess I don't see how dropping it down at an angle is any better | than a full extension slide?
Takes less space.
Norm
Tue, Nov 14, 2006, 11:47pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@att.net (NormDresner) doth claimeth: Takes less space.
Don't see that happening, you've got to pull it all the way out before you tilt it.
JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.
(Norm Dresner) doth |claimeth: |Takes less space. | | Don't see that happening, you've got to pull it all the way out |before you tilt it.
But the space it takes when it's pulled out is up in the air. As it drops down toward the work surface it takes only half that much area on table.
Norm
Sat, Nov 18, 2006, 12:56pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@att.net (NormDresner) doth sayeth: But the space it takes when it's pulled out is up in the air. As it drops down toward the work surface it takes only half that much area on table.
Understood. If I wanted something like what you want, I'd K.I.S.S. it. Pull-out drawers, prop up, or on a fold-up stand. Hang the cabinet on the wall, under the work top, or even on wheels, hang the stand when not used - no work space lost.
Or, you can make it all gimmicky.
JOAT Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Google: under cabinet holder
I've seen just the mechanism sold somewhere. Thought it was Lee Valley or Rockler, but can't find it there.

Same here. Though I think it was to hold a cook book or a spice rack, some thing like that.I'd check the kitchen sections for it. Jim

Norm - You might play around with Pivoting Door Slides. Maybe buy a cheap one and see if you could rig it up to satisfy your requirement.
I believe if you apply the slide 90' to standard and attach a drawer to it, the drawer would slide out and the front edge would tip down....maybe not quite 45' but enough to result in a good view.
Anyway, just a thought.
Good Luck, J