any good sites for someone who wants to learn joinery

hello... i really want to learn wood joinery, and perhaps especially japanese joinery, though i guess any effective type would do. I'm most interested in the simple and minimalist style, so i won't be doing anything ornamental. I like joinery because it seems pretty practical and clean; No nails, no screws, no power tools, none of that.

I wonder if you can advise me whether joinery is a good method to make furniture and if you know any sites that offer free tutorials.

Thanks

Reply to
Mike Henley

Japanese (and Chinese) joinery only looks simple from the outside. I suggest that you get a book on it from the library and consider the tremendous skill required to make something that complex look simple. Is it possible that this kind of joinery was the inspiration for H.P. Lovecraft's "alien geometry" in the Cthulhu mythos?

A (MUCH!) simpler starting point would be a wedged tennon - look it up on google.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

"Mike Henley"

: hello... i really want to learn wood joinery, and perhaps especially : japanese joinery, though i guess any effective type would do. I'm most : interested in the simple and minimalist style, so i won't be doing : anything ornamental. I like joinery because it seems pretty practical : and clean; No nails, no screws, no power tools, none of that. : : I wonder if you can advise me whether joinery is a good method to make : furniture and if you know any sites that offer free tutorials.

Perhaps Mike would like to try my web site.

Jeff G

-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website

Jeff Gorman

A very good question Mike and one I have asked myself over the last almost a decade. But, before I comment specifically to the question, and I will, if I could rant a minute first?

The problem with Al Gore's Internet is, it's too full. It's too full of crap that we have to wade through. Plug in the key words Woodworking Joinery and what you'll get back are an amazing 46,500 hits of which 46,273 will direct you to Amazon.com. What this world needs is a Edjukashunal Google. One that filters the commercial sites and only brings up the sites with information on the doing of something. I'm thinking someone out there with an extra large propeller on their beanie cap oughtta be able to write software to accomplish this sort of thing (1).

sigh...

OK, off come the rose colored (coloured David) glasses, the soap box has been kicked back to the center (centre David) of the room and I have bitch slapped my own self back to reality.

I did plug in the words Woodworking Joinery into Google and there were the thousands of links to Amazon but I did find one that went to the About.com site and there is a section there About Woodworking. That site, thinly veiled as informational, has links and of the couple I selected I was carted off to some woodworking magazine sites. So, why not cut to the chase and visit the magazine sites?

Future Google Key Word Searches:

Fine Woodworking magazine Popular Woodworking Magazine Wood Magazine Am*r*c*n W**dw*rk*ng M*g*z*n*

And, sadly, you would/should/could do yourself a favor and do a search of some of the book retailer sites. At least you could/would/should be able to visit the LEEbrary and take out a book or two on the subject, or, even buy one, from where else? Why Amazon, of course.

(1) Actually, I do know that of all the komputer literates in the world, half are pissed that common folk are on the Internet and the other half are in cahoots with Bill Gates and the doing of something as nice as making the Internet edjukashunal would/is the furthest thing from their collective minds, i.e., they are all evil. I mean, do you think someone without a thorough understanding of computers came up with the Blinkie? Or, the Pop Up? A'yup, these people are evil.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Reply to
nospambob

45,200 hits using [Woodworking Joinery] (without brackets) 38,600 hits using [Woodworking Joinery -amazon] (without brackets) 376 hits using ["Woodworking Joinery"] (without brackets) 288 hits using ["Woodworking Joinery" -amazon] (without brackets)

Use a minus sign in front of amazon when you don't want their input, and it saves some. Join words using quotes, and it cuts out a lot. Used together, in this case, you delete over 99% of the hits.

seems to be a nice start for joinery, but the pictures are not all downloading for me.

Reply to
FMB

That book can also save the purchaser hundreds, if not thousands of dollars by showing how to easily build jigs and adjust tools. That is, WITHOUT expensive specialty items.

I had an instructor that pointed out that simple, timeless, techniques don't market well. Special jigs do.

I also appreciate Tage's dry wit.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

This is a particularly helpful web site on hand joinery techniques.

P.

Reply to
Wayne Powell

man, you do rant indeed but it's okay, 'cos i enjoyed reading your rant a lot while eating my nachos and jalapenos... regards

Reply to
Mike Henley

Try:

is an Open Directory Project that hasn't seen its time yet. I expect within the next 12-18 months people will get sick of all the spew from Google and discover it.

Rich

Reply to
RKON

It's already getting more popular. However, I don't really see how they can compete with Google. They might carve out a nice niche, though.

snipped-for-privacy@FreshCoffee.biz

Howard

what a wonderful website... good work

Reply to