Any good deals at HF?

I might be in the mood for a road trip this weekend, and it will go right past a Harbor Freight, is there any current "deals" that I should know about? I receive their flier's in the mail, but I know the instore deals are different, and they don't send them to me.

Thanks!

Reply to
ToolMiser

No

Reply to
Rob

Nope.

Even my truck balks and refuses to enter a HF parking lot!

TeamCasa

Today I was in HF and bought 2 boxes of 1" brush $5.57 (30 box). 3 pcs silver tarpaulin $1.99ea (6'X8') and sanding sponge $2.99 10/pack. Their 18" Pittsburgh bar clamp on sale for $2.99ea. Save a bundle shopping in HF.

Reply to
WD

The only real consistent deal at H.F are 4" swivel casters at $3.99 when they put them on sale. Worst deal is the $9.99 50ft Goodyear air hose, the outer material leaches back crap on everything it touches. Had to throw out the last one I bought and replaced it with a real rubber one made in the USA bought from a local supplier who could speak English.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Yes - but be careful. Don't buy any real tools there. You can find the same or better pricing on brand name tools elsewhere - likely closer to home, and the private label power tools are junk.

Comodities on the other hand are a different matter. Things like brushes, swivel casters, grinding wheels, rope, and even some hand tools are dirt cheap. Be careful with the hand tools though. Some of the Pittsburg brand stuff is good enough for most people's needs and it's very reasonably priced. You have to adopt the mindset that if the tool breaks under moderately severe useage, you'll just buy new since the price is so cheap. If you're looking for real lifetime hand tools, don't bother with these. I've bought some of their hand tools - deep impact sockets, screwdrivers, ratchet wrenches and for the most part they've been fine. As I said, if I break an impact socket I can buy an entire new set for $16.00 as opposed to paying $20 or more for a single Ingersol Rand or comprable socket. Will they wear out and get sloppy? Sure, but I really don't need to use them every day so I've gotten plenty of useage out of them to have made it worth buying them. I don't use my screwdrivers for pry bars, so the cheap set I bought there has been holding up just fine. I only bought them because I was there and the screwdrivers were there also, and I got a wild hair up my butt, so I bought them. Turns out they work just like real screwdrivers.

I guess it depends on how convenient the trip is for you. I probably would not drive an hour to Harbor Freight for anything. What savings I might see on the comodity prices would not justify the time and gas spent to go there. It is kind of a cool place to wander around in though.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Well, the parking is free.

David

Reply to
Jane & David

Don't do it.. In all honesty, about 15% of their stuff is "ok", but most of it is crap.

There are posts in the archieves that tell some of the ok stuff.

If you go there, you don't end up really saving any money, because you always end up eating a lot of crap.

About the only "good" thing they have there is their heavy duty grinder stand, which is something like $30-40 on sale. Their workmate clones are ok, and pipe clamps (pony clones) are ok.

Don't even think about buying anything with a motor there.. Or anything with a sharp edge (including jigsaw blades).. Even most of their handtools are screwed up.. (like pliers, etc).

Reply to
pete rose

The "heavy-duty" 3/4" pipe clamps are OK - the others are junk.

And I've got a wall full of their Pittsburgh bar clamps - all bought when they were half price. They work good enough for me.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Don't know of any in store deals but if you shop wisely you can save quite a bit on disposables, etc. I like to get their latex gloves and work gloves. The sanding sponges are usually a good deal as are their casters. Contrary to others comments, I've bought a drill press and a disc/belt sander combo from them. Had the sander for 4 years before I sold it for $50 ( cost me $79.95) and I still have the drill press ( about 8 years old ). Wouldn't do machinist quality work but for woodworking tolerances it's more than adequate. Just recently bought their 6" jointer - so far so good. I plan on replacing the knives anyway but until they get dull I'll stay with them.

The quality on a LOT of their power stuff has improved vastly over the years - there are some good buys and their return policy is very good.

Just like Sears - some of the stuff is excellent ( despite the anal bad mouthers) and some of it is crap - you just have to look closely.

HTH,

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

I believe their 2 HP dust collector is on sale for $149. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

What about their powder coating rig

for $59.00? Wonder how it would do for refinishing old shop equipment. Has anyone tried it? RM~

Reply to
Rob Mills

If their brad nailer is under $20 it's a great buy. Two years with no problems, no jams. Cape Cod Bob Visit my web site at

the two "spam"s for email

Reply to
Cape Cod Bob

sometimes junk power tools are just the ticket. I know a couple of tile setters who buy HF's "better" small angle grinders as accessories to the diamond cutoff disks. buy a disk, and get a grinder to go on it.... in cases like that, where the machine will be subject to a very hostile environment- water, alkali, abrasive grit- a $15 machine will last about as long as a $150 one.

I'd avoid the cheap wheels for bench grinders. the cheap angle grinder disks seem to be OK...

I prefer some of the cheap chinese putty knives to their domestic counterparts. they have a better taper- thicker at the handle and thinner at the edge. YMMV.

although I suspect that they have improved in recent years, all of the chinese open end wrenches I've had have been made to poor tolerances. I mean, they are serviceable, but more likely to slip and whack your knuckles or round off the heads of your fasteners.

Reply to
bridger

Pretty much what everyone else has said. I have had good luck with their brad nailer (air powered) which they have for $14.99 on occasion. Generally stay away from Chicago Electric. Central Machinery can be ok, not perfect but good enough for hobby use usually. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James Cubby Culbertson

I hate cheap tools, but I am thinking of the $99 framing nailer. I'd use it for one job I have coming up. I can't justify $250+ for a Bostitch or equal because I just don't use it enough. I honestly can't recall the last time I drove a 10d or 16d nail. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Chinee dial indicator and mag base. More than enough for aligning table saw and drill press. And a few other non critical uses.

I've heard good reports on their pipe wrenches and large wrenches. I've been told their good for homeowners who don't use these things every day and pros who rarely need them.

I've heard their reciprocating saws are OK if only a few cuts are needed. Once again homeowner or non severe duty.

I'm going to make the trip and get some sanding pads, brushes for glue, Pittsburgh clamps, ETC.

Reply to
Mark

I thought the Goodyear hoses say 'Made in the USA' on them? It has been a while since I was at Harbor Freight.

I bought two Reeltek air hose reels with hose instead of buying a loose air hose. The Reeltek air hose reels are made in the USA by Reelcraft. They use a composite reel instead of steel.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert