any feedback on the HF tools?

Preciesely. I too buy some HF tools, depending on the tool. The notion of struggling through using them is a foolish notion - they work just like their counterparts that cost many times more. Limited use? Bull. The tools that I have purchased from HF have performed every bit as well as the name brand stuff - but I don't buy every tool that HF sells, either. I'm with you on the use of the tool - I really don't care where my HF angle grinder is in 200 years. Likely it will be in the same place as the Snap On grinder it replaced - in the landfill.

Many of us have indeed used "high quality tools" as well as the cheap counterparts. The argument is that the difference you suggest is often, simply not there.

I agree. There is a romantic notion that suggest something "wonderful" about a tool that is 200 years old. The thing is, the tool was just a tool when it was manufactured. It's age is more of its attraction today than its superior qualities. If that tool had continued to be used daily it surely would not be laying around to be purchased, 200 years later. Its age is no reflection of anything - except its age.

I have no problem with anyone's personal preference in tools, but these threads come up and the same tool-snob cliches and attempted put downs come up as predictably as big boogers after a day of sanding. Oh well...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

LOL!! You just have to be from the south. Only folks I know can come up with 'colorful' expressions like that are from the south. :o)

Uh Huh ...

Nope - but I did eat at a Shoney's a couple of times...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

That'd do it!

I also stayed at a Holiday Express last night.

And now you're a southern author!
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 08:51:03 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

It may have lasted 200 years because its previous owners did not think well of it, tossed it into a corner and bought a newer design that they liked better. ;-)
Bill
Thu, Oct 26, 2006, 9:18am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@teamcasadot.org (Teamcasa) doth orateeth: I frankly could care less that you buy their Chinese, slave labor, costing US jobs, cheap junk. <snip>
From that remark I take it then you own nothingat all made in China, eh? Betcha do.
Just out of curiosity, in what country was your vehicle(s) made? My present vehicle is a '78 El Camino - made in the USA. My previous vehicle was a '79 GMC, made in the USA. The vehicle before that was a '73 Nova, made in the USA. And so on. I don't much like the new cars, but if I did, I'd go for one made in the USA - by an American company - and it'd probably still have something on it made in China - or Mexico, or wherever.
In the meantime, I'll continue to buy tools I can actually afford (if I can't make what I need instead), that'll do the job for me, rather than doing without. The way I look at it, if the tools were pure crap (like a lot of people claim) the Chinese couldn't keep selling them, they aren't stupid you know.
JOAT If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:01:05 -0400, J T wrote:
I don't much like the new cars,

IIRC, for the highest percentage of "made in the USA" content, you would be driving a Toyota. Unless, of course, we are talking about that town in China named "USA".
Bill
Teamcasa

"J T"

Just to clear a few things up. Yes, I do own some Chinese stuff. Its very hard to avoid. However, I do make an effort to avoid it when possible.

My current vehicles, 2003 Chevy crewcab 4x4 dually (Duramax), 2005 Trailblazer.

The Chinese are definitely not stupid. However, US consumers, lets say this, make poor choices from time to time. I too buy tools I want, need or just enjoy using. I simply decide to save and wait to buy the tool I think balances quality vs cost vs overall value.
Dave

Haven't use them, but at $4.33 each (unless you can wait for a sale), each one is exactly 3.46% of the price of my last plane purchase, and that was on sale. If I needed something like that, I'd definitely try them, with the assumption they'd need some good lapping and sharpening. If I saw them in the store for half price, I'd probably get them even if I didn't have an immediate use for them. Let us know how they work. Andy

I was there today and saw them. If they're not all ready on sale, they will be going on sale for about $10 in November according to the sale flyer available in the store. At that price, it seems like a safe gamble you'll get something of use.
I didn't buy them today, but probably will later on. I noticed, when checking out the packaging, they are made of a combination of metal and wood. The outsides are something like brass or bronze which is sandwiching a wood sole.
One thing that I've been wondering is how I'd sharpen their blades, given they're so small. The blades look to be too small to fit my honing guide, so I'm guessing they'd have to be done by hand.

remove ".invalid".

Darn, by hand. The cutters are only a half an inch wide. They look to be three inches long. I didn't see the planes other than the picture, but they looked pretty solid for 5 inch planes. Grinding new cutters shouldn't be much of a chore. I don't know what I would use planes this small for. Hank

They might be a bit more narrow than that, maybe only 3/8"--but I'm not certain.

The bodies aren't that long. Maybe 3".

I've seen planes this small and smaller used for making musical instruments. I'm not a luthier, but I can see using these for trimming and tweaking a variety of things.

remove ".invalid".
cyrille de Brebisson wrote:

Last time I was at HF, I was looking for those and would've bought them without hesitation. Even if they're completely useless (doubtful), I've learned something for only $12.
I bought a smoothing plane there for $10. Something to play with and possibly destroy without crying.
Why even think about a $10 tool purchase? Just grab it. If nothing else, you can hang it on the wall, and everyone will think you're Mr. Tool Guy.
Wed, Oct 25, 2006, 3:17pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@hp.com (cyrilledeBrebisson) waves and says: hello, wondering if any of you had bought these planes and have comments? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94520
Got a flyer today, they're on saile until sometime in Nov for $9 something. If I was modelmaking I'd either make my own, or get a set. If the blades aren't any good I've got an old saw blade or three and figure I could make replacements easy enough.
(cyrille de Brebisson) waves and says: hello, wondering if any of you had bought these planes and have comments? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber520
Got a flyer today, they're on saile until sometime in Nov for $9 something. If I was modelmaking I'd either make my own, or get a set. If the blades aren't any good I've got an old saw blade or three and figure I could make replacements easy enough.
Not exactly high-use items in anyone's toolbox, I'm sure. With meathooks like mine, they would be next to useless anyway.
I get a lot of use out of my Kunz palm plane, though. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdIDb0
Use your saw blades for scrapers or scratch stocks and make holders big enough for your hands.
cyrille de Brebisson wrote:

I think 13 bucks plus shipping isn't a bad price to get a little insight into what you personally like, dislike, want, and don't want, in a hand plane, so you can go out and buy one that suits you. Or five or six. :-)
You'll put a lot of work into them, you'll tinker with 'em, and you'll learn something without shelling out triple digit dollars. Sounds good to me even if you end up chucking all of 'em out the window in a fit of rage. Which you probably won't.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hey, even chucking them out the window is worth $13 for the entertainment.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I disagree. It will probably turn off the OP on handplanes forever if this is his first experience.