Any Experience with Wagner Paint Sprayer?

Page 2 of 2
I have had two Wagner sprayers and the last is still stored somewhere under my work bench! Terrible results! Bought the Rockler $99.00 hvlp rig (also one for my son-in-law) and have had great results with it (for it's intended purpose). Recently painted all the exterior trim using thinned latex on my house and couldn't be more pleased.
Bill
Richard wrote:

Mine wouldn't.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Richard wrote: > > I was considering a $99 Wagner handheld job.
You remind me of the guy who walked around hitting himself in the head with a hammer.
When asked why, he answered, "Because it feels so good when I stop."
Lew
Richard wrote:

Thanks for the review. I had seen these sprayers before and had wanted to post the same question. -G
Richard wrote:

Richard,
Rent (or buy refurbished/used) the real sprayer. I've got a Wagner 9150 (full size - uses 1 or 5 gal cans) and always seem to have a use for it. It'll pull about anything out of a can, too, including some really gummed up stain I had lying around. It's just a bit of a pain to clean (but necessary unless you want to rebuild every time you use it).
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer

"Yes, I have one", he said, sputtering. :) Older model, bought new, but ran almost $100 then. I think their design is still spring and piston, though. Paint must be thinned to use, using their (provided) viscosity funnel. With good latexes, this can approach 50/50, probably destroying the characteristics of the paint. Adjustment was tweaky, at that. The piston assembly heats up with use to the point where if you pause for a few seconds or spray extended amounts, the paint hardens on the nozzle, clogging the hole. Disassemble and clean frequently (every 10 minutes?). Last time I used it, I sprayed, the paint on, then went back and brushed the whole thing to get it even. Since it was so diluted, I then had to put brush on two more coats. When I finally got an I got an air compressor, I bought the cheapie Campbell Hausfield sprayer (about $30) at WalMart, and it's a joy to use for everything I've tried to put through it, thick or thin, house paint to furniture finishes. Since they're light duty models, you can't torque them around, but I'd buy another air compessor model before I'd open the Wagner box that's still somewhere in the shop. Newer Wagner models may work better, but I'm not willing to find out. Air is too easy.