Any Experience with Wagner Paint Sprayer?

Richard wrote: >

You remind me of the guy who walked around hitting himself in the head with a hammer.

When asked why, he answered, "Because it feels so good when I stop."

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks for the review. I had seen these sprayers before and had wanted to post the same question. -G

Reply to
Mr. G D Geen

Richard,

Rent (or buy refurbished/used) the real sprayer. I've got a Wagner 9150 (full size - uses 1 or 5 gal cans) and always seem to have a use for it. It'll pull about anything out of a can, too, including some really gummed up stain I had lying around. It's just a bit of a pain to clean (but necessary unless you want to rebuild every time you use it).

Reply to
Michael White

Reply to
<joenation1

I"ve seen a lot of naysayers about Wagner. I read those reviews after I bought mine. I had bought it to do some interior painting of what was effectively an empty house, or almost new construction.

After some screwing around with the settings, I painted about 5 rooms with it, walls and ceilings. It was a bit of a PITA to clean, but it was very fast and put down an even coat of paint. I wouldn't bother with it for smaller jobs or jobs where there was a lot of furniture in the room.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd do the same thing. It put the paint down in about 1/10 of the time it would have to roll. The quality of the coat was better than any rolling I've ever done.

Is it a piece of quality machinery that will last a lifetime? Not on your life. After I was finished the inside, I tackled the exterior and the main spring in the piston broke. Parts are unavailable in Canada, and I finished that job with a roller.

But I had no complaints with it for the inside stuff. It was worth what I paid for it and then I considered it gone.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

"Yes, I have one", he said, sputtering. :) Older model, bought new, but ran almost $100 then. I think their design is still spring and piston, though. Paint must be thinned to use, using their (provided) viscosity funnel. With good latexes, this can approach 50/50, probably destroying the characteristics of the paint. Adjustment was tweaky, at that. The piston assembly heats up with use to the point where if you pause for a few seconds or spray extended amounts, the paint hardens on the nozzle, clogging the hole. Disassemble and clean frequently (every 10 minutes?). Last time I used it, I sprayed, the paint on, then went back and brushed the whole thing to get it even. Since it was so diluted, I then had to put brush on two more coats. When I finally got an I got an air compressor, I bought the cheapie Campbell Hausfield sprayer (about $30) at WalMart, and it's a joy to use for everything I've tried to put through it, thick or thin, house paint to furniture finishes. Since they're light duty models, you can't torque them around, but I'd buy another air compessor model before I'd open the Wagner box that's still somewhere in the shop. Newer Wagner models may work better, but I'm not willing to find out. Air is too easy.

Reply to
<Joe