Any Carving Tips On Staunton Style Knights?

I'm taking a whack at one today and wondered who has been down this road before.
Regards,

Start with a block of wood and carve away everything that doesn't look like a Staunton Knight.
Hope this helps,
Scott

Finally found one that I have seen and liked. Looks simple enough, unlike the more ornate complex ones. Are you doing the whole set, Tom?
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 10:47:40 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Yeah. I'm doing this one:
http://houseofstaunton.com/Store/product_name=The+Collector+Series+Luxury+Chess+Set+-+4.0+inch+King/exact_match=exact/user-id=/password
Regards,

Usually one turns the head as an eggshape, then cuts (observing grain direction) the eggshape to an oval slab. A file or rasp makes two notches that suggest the horse-head shape.
I did it with steel rods, using a drillpress as a lathe, and a bench grinder for the flattening operation. It's up to you whether to add embellishments, I stopped right there (my Dremel points weren't up to the challenge of carving a proper mane).