Any carpenters here? (installing a handrail)

Page 3 of 3
"Greg Guarino" wrote in message
Anyway, I have no experience finding studs in that kind of construction. The walls are too rigid for me to just sound them out with my fist. I don't own a stud finder, but I might buy one if it's of any use in that kind of wall. I'm not eager to drill a series of holes that I'll need to repair, and then match the paint.
If you want to go looking for studs, here's the stud finder you want to use.
http://www.garrettwade.com/product.asp?pn%T23.01
Makes a tiny hole, less than 1/32 in diameter, that you can fill with a little smear of toothpaste, or just leave if it's in an inconspicuous place. Never needs batteries :-)
Tom

That looks like a great idea, but have you ever tried it on a real plaster wall? In my own 1920's era (and former 1880's era) home, there's no way you could push a wire or pin through the original plaster. It was tough even to hammer a very thin nail into.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry W wrote:

Of course, nails are intended to squeeze between wood fibers.
On Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:16:55 AM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:

Locate the nail holes in the baseboard and you will know where the studs are.
RP

I thought baseboard was nailed into the bottom plate.
On Sunday, February 10, 2013 12:07:58 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

As a rule, I put a nail in the bottom plate and one in the stud on a typical 3 1/2" baseboard. On a 5 /2" baseboard I put 1 nail in the bottom plate and 2 in the stud. That's how I roll and I do a ~lot~ of trim.
RP
On 2/10/13 9:57 AM, RP wrote:

If they even shot the studs. They could've shot the bottom of the baseboard into the sole plate and then uses angled nails to hold the top into the plaster. Heck, most lath is plenty thick/strong enough to hold finish nails, so if I were nailing trim to lath, I might not even bother with studs.
--

-MIKE-

On 2/10/2013 12:43 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Hell, in this day and age, and judging by some of the Open Houses I've visited in the past few years, and the likelihood your average "trim carpenter" never saw a piece of wood before getting here, and the average builder either not knowing or giving a shit, a finish nail in the drywall suffices, if they aren't being watched/supervised.
... a sill plate? Wot?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/10/13 1:49 PM, Swingman wrote:

I've removed baseboard from floors that would've been more difficult to take off if they'd been adhered with velcro. :-)
On the other hand, I've cross-nailed crown where there was no wood to be found and had to later use a prybar to remove it. Yes, I've had to remove my own work. I like clients who change their minds every few years. :-)
--

-MIKE-