Any carpenters here? (installing a handrail)

I thought baseboard was nailed into the bottom plate.

Reply to
krw

That looks like a great idea, but have you ever tried it on a real plaster wall? In my own 1920's era (and former 1880's era) home, there's no way you could push a wire or pin through the original plaster. It was tough even to hammer a very thin nail into.

Reply to
Larry W

Of course, nails are intended to squeeze between wood fibers.

Reply to
Bill

If they even shot the studs. They could've shot the bottom of the baseboard into the sole plate and then uses angled nails to hold the top into the plaster. Heck, most lath is plenty thick/strong enough to hold finish nails, so if I were nailing trim to lath, I might not even bother with studs.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Hell, in this day and age, and judging by some of the Open Houses I've visited in the past few years, and the likelihood your average "trim carpenter" never saw a piece of wood before getting here, and the average builder either not knowing or giving a shit, a finish nail in the drywall suffices, if they aren't being watched/supervised.

... a sill plate? Wot?

Reply to
Swingman

I'm surprised there aren't more pronounced fingers. That mixture must stick better than the regular plaster we use now.

Condolences. That sounded like a real PITA.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've removed baseboard from floors that would've been more difficult to take off if they'd been adhered with velcro. :-)

On the other hand, I've cross-nailed crown where there was no wood to be found and had to later use a prybar to remove it. Yes, I've had to remove my own work. I like clients who change their minds every few years. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have a quick story. I helped a buddy rehab the old family homestead place to live in. It was documented in the family to 180 years old in 1985. That makes it almost 210 years old, now. Anyway, built with lumber cut off of the property. Cedar studs and poplar joists and rafters. ALL at EXACTLY 16 inches on center. Amazing. Perimeter beam, balloon frame, studs 19 feet long. On the other hand, I have worked on many much younger houses with totally random spacing, also. Go figure.

Reply to
Morgans

As a rule, I put a nail in the bottom plate and one in the stud on a typical 3

1/2" baseboard. On a 5 /2" baseboard I put 1 nail in the bottom plate and 2 in the stud. That's how I roll and I do a ~lot~ of trim.

RP

Reply to
RP