Any 240v woodworking equipment need a neutral?

OK, fine -- show us where the Code requires a neutral conductor on a 240V load.

Right, and wiring a 240V motor with three wires (two ungrounded conductors, one groundING conductor, and NO groundED conductor) is the approved manner of doing so.
Don't think so? Think about this -- if you supply that groundED (neutral, white) wire, what do you propose connecting it to?? There are only three connections on a 240V motor: motor winding A, motor winding B, equipment ground. Where does that neutral wire go?
No current will flow in that wire, connected or not. It's not needed electrically, and it's not required by the NEC either. You think it is? Cite the article of the Code that says so.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Wonder what the 3rd wire on a 220 outlet on a generator does? It isn't a 'ground' until you hammer in several feet of copper rod into the ground beside the generator..or am I just stirring shit?

It's the neutral, as in tapped from the center of the transformer secondary, same as the supply from the utility company. It's there so that you can run 240 *and* 120 loads.
Ground is the generator frame.
--
Regards,

Only if you tie the generator frame to earth ground.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

earth ground. *Not* tying it to earth ground isn't good practice, but that doesn't change the fact that it *is* equipment ground for the power produced by the generator.
--
Regards,

Wrong.
Wrong.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I think we may both be feeding the troll.
Frank

Not for 240V operation.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Toller wrote:

Not in most of the World, that's for certain.

Regards,

I would think a hot, a grounded, and a grounding. What would a "neutral" be used for?
http://www.mikeholt.com/index.php?id=homegeneral
Take the time to check this expert web site for a definitive answer snipped-for-privacy@mikeholt.com for e-mail questions.

If you don't know, why answer? And, why answer twice?

http://www.mikeholt.com/index.php?id=homegeneral
Take the time to check this expert web site for a definitive answer snipped-for-privacy@mikeholt.com for e-mail questions.

thing.
--
Regards,

But that is pretty much my point; 3 wires - hot, grounded/neutral, grounding.
Toller wrote:

Nope.. that's not it. wire 1 is phase 1 at 120 to ground/neutral wire 2 is phase 2 at 120 to groun/neutral. Potential between wire one and 2 is 240, No ground required, but highly recommended... and downright silly not to have a ground. (Wire # 3, in a 10/2 a copper uninsulated wire aka ground. In a 10/3 there are 4 wires.

world. I thought their hots were 240v, but I could be wrong.

In much of the rest of the world, yes, that's right. Their 240V circuits are wired analogously to our 120V circuits, just at a higher voltage.
--
Regards,

No, actually, if it's the grounded conductor, it's the neutral conductor, regardless.

--
Regards,