Any 240v woodworking equipment need a neutral?

Page 3 of 8
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

No problem ... ground it to the jointer.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06
Swingman wrote:

What if I don't have a jointer?

No problem ... use one of those wrist thingy's, attach it next to your electronic ankle bracelet, and ground it to your computer.
We know damn well you have a computer!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Ground it to your planer sled.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Planer sleds take too long to use.

But you won't need a jointer.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

_I_ have a jointer, but was asking for the benefit of those who don't. We don't want to see any electricutions!

I haven't used a jointer since the 60's. Then I learnt how to roll my own...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Ground it to your bench grinder, and call it a jointer.

BUT don't lick you finger and touch it.
Leon wrote:

I don't know you well enough to have you lick MY finger.
Good point. We don't know what may be connected down the road, neitherdoes he. And, if the fire occurs to someone he sold the house to - guess who is liable for damages?

Ah.... my favorite BS stuff. Throw some fear, uncertainty and doubt into something when proper knowledge fails.
It's a purpose device. Who cares what may go in there in 5 years? Wire that in at that time. Unless it's a clothes dryer it won't likely need a neutral anyway.
And... who is liable for damages if there is a house fire? Here it comes... THE INSURANCE COMPANY. Please explain how the home owner is going to liable for wiring a saw with 10/2 with a ground? He's not. Even if he wires it wrong and sells the house, he's not liable. Geeze...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

That is correct. My insurance man filled me in on that and a real estate friend concurred.
Better you should ask a contingency-fee attorney. Of course its not the "norm," but if you re-work your home's electrical service and sell it to someone who dies in a fire blamed on your wiring, you can bet the attorney's will be looking at the depth of your pockets.
And don't take legal advice from a real estate broker - they aren't even allowed to write purchase and sale contracts!
All we (those of us urging prudence, code compliance and completeness) are doing istryng to give OP the best advice possible. we are talking the difference of less than twenty-cents per foot for a host of reasons the least of which might well be his eventual liability exposure.
I grant you that the device will operate if he only pulls two blue twelve gauge conductors across the room and staple them to the floor joists rather than enclose them in EMT or the equivalent.
But I wouldn't do it that way nor advise another to take that minimalist route to wire shop or home.

attorney's
Instead we should take legal and electrical advice from you?????

You have not given the OP any advice that is compliant with NEC yet. So, your point is...?

rather
I get it - you're trying to be a comedian in this thread. Phew! You really had me going for a while. Hell - I thought you were serious with your other posts in this thread.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Nope, not liable just like you are not liable if you sell your car and the new owner wrecks it. The owner is making the decision to buy your house and has every opportunity to inspect or have it inspected before closing. Unless stipulations are noted, houses are sold "as is".
"Leon" wrote in message

and
Except for "new" houses, at least in Texas.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06
Swingman wrote:

I know that to be the case in Ontario, and I'm pretty sure in all of Kanuckistan. New houses have warranties as well. But ifyou have a 1000 sq-ft house and decide to add 4000 sq-ft, you're on your own with the contractor. (Still needs to meet code though.)
Anyone can install wiring. That's why there are inspectors. Same with plumbing. Natural Gas fitters are a different story, for all the obvious reasons.
You need a 3-phase power if your cutterhead on your jointer has 3 blades.
<snip>

Oh what to do! I'm currently wrestling with my used right tilt Unisaw that I recently upgraded to, but my black leads are going to the left side screws on the 240volt receptacles. I'm afraid they must go to the right side screw terminals, so I guess I have to get rid of it and get a left tilt saw to match my wiring. By the way which is better left or right tilt saws.
And now Rob says I need 3 phase power. The DJ-20 that BARRY made me aware of says it is single phase on the motor, but it has three cutter heads. If I upgrade to three phase power what happens if I then upgrade to a spiral cutter head, will I need 60K power for all those multiple cutters?
And now I'm going to do my dust collection. So I have heavy walled spiral pipe and fittings along with blast proof Kevlar hoses (yes I'm not kidding .... but they were a freebie)but do I need to ground the bags on the collector itself; after all they are only fabric and the dust in them is not grounded. The complexity and danger of it all, good thing I read the Wreck daily :)
Jerry