Any 240v woodworking equipment need a neutral?

Page 1 of 8
Is it fair to say that all 240v woodworking equipment runs without neutrals? I am running a new circuit and would prefer to use 10/2 rather than 10/3; but sure don't want to do it twice.

It's fair to say that all 240V equipment that doesn't also have 120V loads doesn't need a neutral.
IME, big iron woodworking equipment consists, electrically, of a motor and a switch.
240V motors don't need a neutral.

As long as 10ga wire, and a 30A breaker, are appropriate for the load, you're good to go with 10/2 -- but consider that 10/3 would provide the ability to add 120V receptacles later if you need them.
Another thought might be to pull three individual conductors (red, black, and green) through conduit, instead of running cable. Then if you ever need a neutral in the future, pull a white wire through too.
--
Regards,
Toller wrote:

I assume you are talking about 10/2 WITH GROUND. You don't need a neutral, but you definitely need a ground.
DonkeyHody
"DonkeyHody" wrote in message

neutrals?
10/3;
Now, if you can convince my framing and trim crews of that, who routinely use two wires with NO plug to run their 220v equipment, my hat will be off to you! ;)
And for the OP ... In the sense that 220/240 equipment will work without a ground wire (just a hot from each leg is all that is "needed" to function), you don't "need" a ground for the equipment to work.
BUT, and it's a BIG but, you will surely want to have a ground, if for nothing else but code compliance and safety.
The neutral is not used for 220/240v unless the equipment needs 115v internally for timers, lights, etc ... not something normally found in woodworking shop equipment.
Now, we sit back and wait for the flames to start ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

You only have to fry one of them in front of the others really, the message will get across. ;P
Markem (sixoneeight) = 618
Swingman wrote: [snipped for brevity]

*smacking my forehead on my desk*
OH NOES!!!, Not THIS farking topic again????
As an EE, my philosophy is very simple: If you need to be asking questions like that, you shouldn't be screwing with it. And to even THINK about whether to use a ground or not is simply beyond me. I have seen accident reports and photographs come across my desk-------->>>220 can bite your ass big time, blow off a few fingers if you're really lucky and the juice doesn't go from one hand via your chest anywhere. That 220 will kill you.You will not be pining, you'll pass on. You will be no more. You will have ceased to be. Expired and gone to meet your maker. You'll be a stiff. Bereft of life, you'll rest in peace.........
I think the stock answer, here in the Wreck, should be: "GET AN ELECTRICIAN!"
And while the electrician is there, have him run some ground wires on your dust collector.
ok..my bad..
"Robatoy" wrote in message

... and joint that sumbitch while you're at it!
BTW, there is, or used to be, an "Electrical FAQ" posted here periodically back in the much kinder, gentler days of the _real men wooddorkers_ of yore:
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/electrical-wiring/part1 ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/electrical-wiring/part2
Don't know if it is still valid cuz one of the necessary qualifications for the previously mentioned wooddorkers was having the (kinder, gentler) time to read through it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Maybe if you serve up some of that famous family gumbo and a few cold brewski's, we will just mellow right out!!
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Easy for you to say ... it's hard to be mellow when you don't smoke or drink beer any longer and you have to chop all those damn vegetables!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06
Swingman wrote:

Well, yeah... always joint everything. It is bad not to joint.
I'm still trying to figure out if I want a left tilt or a right tilt saw.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Keep in mind that if you have a left tilt saw, you need a right tilt jointer to keep things complementary.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06
Swingman wrote:

Agreed....IF you reverse the groundwire. When dealing with counter-rotating wooddorking machines, you don't have to give it any stick when becoming airborne.

jointer
Damn ... there's a lot of things a proper dorker needs to keep in mind when multi-dorking.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Is that still true in Australia?
--
Regards,

BUT !! Would you not have to run your fresh cut wood through a right tilt jointer, Backwards if you use a left tilt saw?
Leon wrote:

How fresh?

I'm holding out for the ambidextrous dual-tilt model.
--
For every complicated, difficult problem, there is a simple, easy
solution that does not work.
Robatoy wrote:

Important, as we want to ground the correct side. Otherwise, the electrons may not fit down the wire.

Or, even worse, they'll fall out the wrong end.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Upside down electrons have reverse polarity!