Anvil's

Was picking up some moisture filters for the compressor I rebuilt. Finally saw the 15 lb cast iron anvil at HF ... they haven't had them in stock.
Always wanted a place to bang metal w/o ruining my workbench. So I clean this puppy off and try peening a piece of metal.. I start seeing the metal's shape appear in the anvil. Looks like the anvil is too soft.. Then I just hit the anvil with the ball peen and it dents.
Any of you know if this is propper, or too soft???
--
Jeff

"woodchucker" wrote in message
Was picking up some moisture filters for the compressor I rebuilt. Finally saw the 15 lb cast iron anvil at HF ... they haven't had them in stock.
Always wanted a place to bang metal w/o ruining my workbench. So I clean this puppy off and try peening a piece of metal.. I start seeing the metal's shape appear in the anvil. Looks like the anvil is too soft.. Then I just hit the anvil with the ball peen and it dents.
Any of you know if this is propper, or too soft???
--
Jeff

Jeff... I would return it. No anvil I have ever had would do that. Of course
On 6/3/2013 10:29 PM, WW wrote:

Yea, the price of the American made Anvil's is way more than I can afford... They are so expensive.
But that answers that.... it's a Cheap piece of shit..
well good enough for protecting my bench, but obviously not for real anvil work, shaping or anything...
I'll search around on the internet see what I can find a small one for...
Thanks.
--
Jeff

On 6/3/2013 9:02 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Chinese anvil may equate to having a high lead content<g>
When you hit it with peening head of the hammer, does it go "Piiiiing" or is it more like a "thud" or "squosh" LOL!
Seriously, I think MOST anvils will take a beating and show very little wear. I have one of the type of "all purpose" (for want of a better word) vices that will hold pipe and damn near anything else and also functions as a half-assed anvil. It of American manufacture and about 30 years old and wasn't an el cheapo when I bought it. I can leave a mark on it when I get to banging away. My father also had such a combo vice, a Sears Craftsman (from back in the 40's, before Sears changed the spelling to Crapsman) and it, too, was getting marked up.
"woodchucker" wrote in message
Was picking up some moisture filters for the compressor I rebuilt. Finally saw the 15 lb cast iron anvil at HF ... they haven't had them in stock.
Always wanted a place to bang metal w/o ruining my workbench. So I clean this puppy off and try peening a piece of metal.. I start seeing the metal's shape appear in the anvil. Looks like the anvil is too soft.. Then I just hit the anvil with the ball peen and it dents.
Any of you know if this is propper, or too soft??? ================================================================It is quite normal for a cast iron anvil. Cast iron is way to soft for an anvil. They make them that way because they are cheap. If you keep using it, chances are that chunks will start falling off. I have seen the entire horn break off. Good anvils are made of cast steel and are hardened.

If you decide to try another anvil, you might consider one of these. I've got one and it seems pretty solid. It's only 7 lbs, but it might meet your needs. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pi331&cat=1,43456,43465

That might be the ticket... thanks.
--
Jeff

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 22:02:51 -0400, woodchucker wrote:

All cast iron anvils are junk, made to sell and not use.
A good supplier of anvils is Texas farrier supply, they still have decent anvils, althouth a little pricy. Expect to pay $4 to $5 a lb for a good anvil.
Basilisk
On 6/3/2013 10:02 PM, woodchucker wrote:

When Dad took down my grandfather's blacksmith shop, he brought several pieces including an anvil back to our house. We had that anvil in our garage for many years. We found many uses for it, including setting off rolls of caps. It never dented.
says...

Too soft.
If you don't need much, find a piece of rail (found mine while wandering along the RR tracks).
Here's an example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0r_1SPBgwQ

and another take on the subject
http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/RR-rail_anvils.htm
On 6/4/2013 11:59 AM, phorbin wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=7jrrqmz9j00&NR=1

I've got a foot long piece of rail handed down from my father. Of course, it's not an anvil shape for manipulating metal, but it's fine if you need something solid under a hammer and your project.
On Monday, June 3, 2013 9:02:51 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

Or yer hammer's too hard. :) Get a HF hammer.
Sonny

A proper anvil is made of steel, not cast iron. In some metal-working groups, cast iron anvils are referred to as "anvil-shaped objects." I wouldn't say they are completely useless, but they will not last or be as useable as a steel anvil. In the 15 lb range, you can make a pretty good anvil out of a piece of railroad rail. Making one would be a good exersize for one of the Harbor Freight angle grinders, which actually are a good value.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
As everybody has said, it is too soft. You can weld a piece of steel to it or lay on something like Stellate then grind down flat. My anvil had a hard face welded on (about 160 years ago) when it was made, and a buddy has an anvil a local welding shop hard faced for him. It can be done, but in my opinion you're better off buying a good one to start. Having said that, know that you can do a _lot_ of smithing just using a thick, flat hunk of steel on a st;ump.
Take a look at the resources available at the Artist Blacksmiths of North America site. Maybe someone local to you with a used anvil for sale.
http://www.abana.org/affiliates/index.shtml
Check out Centaur Forge. They've gotten a chunk or two of my money a few times. Never been disappointed.
http://www.centaurforge.com/default.asp
Anvils are still found in the wild, but if in any kind of decent shape will start at $2 a pound (gloatable price), and quickly go to the $3-4 range for a nice one. Trick is to find one at a flea on the last day that the seller doesn't want to haul back home.
HTH. Regards, Roy