Anuth'a 6" Jointer Tiplet

Saw Duginske do something I had started to wonder about when I was jointing some rough, cupped stock.
I had started to wonder why I was face jointing the stock completely flat. Wondered if I was able to establish flat spots on both sides, the complete length of the board, if a couple of light passes on the planer would help.
http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/061011.asp
I'm going to finish my personal experiment with this tonight - having jointed a couple of white oak and maple test pieces.
I'd suspect you'd have to take light passes on the planer as to not compress the stock.
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:07:25 GMT, patrick conroy

as long as you have enough of the cupped face flat that it'll besupported in the planer you'll be fine. the actual percentage needed will vary with species, moisture content, width and thickness. it's a judgement call.
You want to flatten it enough to be stable in the planer; ie. remove any high spots. If you face joint it enough to remove all hollows, you might be left with a toothpick after it goes through the planer.