Anti-Gloat - How my dogs ruined my day...

Page 1 of 2
Last Thursday evening, we brought our two Labrador Retrievers to the vet because they were both having ear problems. She prescribed a medicine and gave us a little warning that sometimes the medicine make some dogs pee a little more than usual.
When I got home from work on Friday my daughter told me that when she got home from school, there was a pee puddle on the kitchen floor 4 feet wide x 6' long, which she dutifully cleaned up. No big deal - the floor is vinyl and it just took a little work to clean up.
On Saturday morning, my neighbor called and asked if I could help him with a small woodworking project. He brought his item over; we worked on it and had it pretty much done except for cutting a few filler strips on my new table saw in my basement shop.
This was table saw is my current pride and joy,. I upgraded to the big Ridgid tablesaw from a small Makita benchtop model. This was after carefully figuring what I needed and what I could afford and seeing very good reviews for this saw. I saved for it by putting my leftover pocket money in a tin at the end of every week. Three times I almost had enough money to buy it but something came up in the family that needed the money more than me getting the saw (graduation presents, etc.). Finally, after more than two years, I was able to actually make the purchase a few months ago. To me, it's a beautiful saw; smooth as silk, very precise and one of my favorite tools. I really enjoy using it.
So you can probably imagine the shock I felt as my neighbor and I approached the saw in my basement shop and saw that the entire top was covered with thick, crusty, bright orange rust. I couldn't imagine where any water might have come from. There was a pipe above it, but that was bone dry. There were no other possible source or signs of any leaks. I got out my laser plumb bob and put it at what appeared to be the center of where the rust started and it pointed up exactly to a speaker wire, coming through a tiny hole in the floor - right under the wall that the dogs gigantic pee puddle was up against. The ligh bulb went on as it all came together. Th pee went under the baseboard, under the sole plate and found the tiny speaker wire hole, right over my saw. There is absolutely no one to blame except bad luck.
I scraped the crust off, steel wooled it, wiped it down with penetrating oil , leaving a heavy coat to soak. Most of the rust is gone but it is stained all to hell and has some minor pitting. It's like getting a brand new car keyed in a parking lot - a real kick in the gut.
[snippage]

Aren't you glad you got that out of the way? Now you can concentrate on using the tool and not worrying about getting it marked up. Thank your dogs for you.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

I agree too! I know it sucks when you get that first dent, scratch, or rust on a new tool, but now it is broke in so you can quit worrying and make some dust! I don't think I had my new TS a week when somebody left a pop can on it and left a rust ring! Greg
Well, since others have chimed in and I have a minute................. Why on earth would you leave two good sized dogs, especially with known problems, in the house. I like dogs, but they are really an outdoor species, especially big bouncy ones like yours! Sure, come in to visit, maybe even sleep inside when it's cold, if they are well mannered. I hear dog/cat/house/car stories like this all the time. We had dogs in Houston and had to bathe/dip them every week. Thank goodness for Frontline now! It was way more work than thye were worth. Most of today's kids are way too busy to be a friend to an animal and too lazy to really care for one. And I have three kids, five grandkids, and ten nieces/nephews, so I know whereof I speak. Fence your yard, clean up tour saw, and build a nice doghouse! Wilson

Wilson wrote:

I am saving for the "Invisible Fence" now. Hope to have it done sometime in January - but, being pets, the dogs will still live in the house. Chuck

We've had an Invisible Fence system in our yard for six or seven years now, and it works great. Make sure you follow their instructions for training the dogs to the fence. Labradors are smart dogs that are easy to train (of course you probably already know this) and they'll catch on quickly. Our two (golden retriever and a border collie/Australian shepherd cross) didn't take more than a couple days to figure out where they shouldn't go.
--
Regards,

Dogs really do have quite a reservoir in them don't they? I recall a time when my bassett hound left a large puddle in the kitchen. Not as large as yours, but still impressive for a relatively little dog.
Anyway, Boeshield sells a kit at Woodcraft and probably other places that contains an acid solution to remove rust and stains. And the Boeshield itself does a pretty fair job of protecting the metal surfaces from moisture.
Good luck with your saw.
BTW, is the top the only thing affected? None leaked inside to cause internal problems?
"Chuck" wrote in message

Could have been much worse ... it could have been blood stains on that table saw, like the one's still on mine (it was a TS accident, but not in the usual sense (no blade on the saw ... long story).
In any event, like scratches in a well used family table, these things eventually become fond memories.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06
Swingman wrote:

*grin*
We used the garage to make wine this year- 500lbs of grapes. Well, things got out of hand with the crusher and there was grape pomace everywhere- including the bandsaw, table saw, work countertop... it looks as if someone was beat to death in the garage. Funny thing about red grapes...
Jason

Yeah ... but all for a worthy cause! Wish I had the time.
My family used to make wine every year with the native grapes that grow wild in S. Louisiana. Some folks have a martini, some a beer ... me, when the daily sun goes down over the yardarm, I have my red wine!
Let us know how it turns out.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06
Chuck wrote:

I'll second the recommendation to try Boeshields "Rust Off". I've used this on a table that had a few spots of rust and was very impressed with the results. Spray a bit on and you can watch it bubble up, kinda like peroxide on a cut.
Mike
Yeah, my wife was chaffing about the dust in my workshop and decided to vacuum and wipe up the dust. She did a good job but I didn't see it until the next day. She had left a damp cleaning cloth on my jointer table. A nice rust patch in a clean piece of cast iron.
Put a belt sander on your saw table with a medium to fine belt in it and run it over your saw table. It won't take enough metal off to damage the surface or make it non-flat but it will remove the rust patch and any fingerprints and surface oxidization.

My wife did me a favor once and cleaned my shop. After six months of marriage counseling we were able to reach an agreement and avoid getting divorced! ;-) Greg
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:43:48 -0600, "Greg O"

My wife came to assist me once when I was at a difficult point in the assembly of a blanket chest. I had built it with a hard maple field floating in a cherry frame. I was going to drive the screws in the hinges to attach the lid to the base. Naturally she dropped it (the lid) causing it to break.
I ran screaming from the shop.
She will no longer assist me on any projects.

The shop cleaning episode actually happened. I embellished the divorce part, but it was not far off! It took months before I found everything back again. Her sense of organization and mine are at totally opposite ends of the spectrum! It was hard to be mad because she was going to help me out and surprise me with a spotless shop. She did a great job, at hiding everything! Afterwards I told her I loved her and appreciated the gesture, but stay the !#*#$%! OUTA MY SHOP! Greg
Greg O wrote:
<snip> > The shop cleaning episode actually happened. I embellished the divorce part, > but it was not far off!
<snip>
Pay backs are a bitch.
Why didn't you help her "clean up" the kitchen.
But then again, you might have been eating takeout for a while<G>.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Were I dumb enough to have a wife or girlfriend I would have an equal fit whether I found my kitchen reorganized (yes, I can cook) or my shop reorganized (both metalworking and woodworking). Both would likely result in an "Out damn woman!" event.
Pete C.

It may just be me, but I think I can fathom at least two good reasons why the scenario is unlikely to ever present itself.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

Much to the disappointment of at least a couple women who have tried to snare me.
Pete C.