another word for round stock

Page 1 of 2
the magic word for round stock is billet pole also works but usually is a larger diameter and rough finished
but billets are not cheap
typical use is for baseball bats and come in a variety of materials
hickory ash maple birch
On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 4:23:16 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

I know of billet as pertains to steel...wood? check for yourself:
Origin of billet Middle English ; from Anglo-Fr, diminutive of bille, bill to assign to lodging by billet to assign to a post to serve a billet on to be billeted or quartered a short, thick piece of firewood OBS. a wooden club a long, rectangular or cylindrical unfinished bar of iron or steel, usually smaller than c. 232 sq cm (c. 36 sq in) in cross section a similar, generally smaller, bar made from a nonferrous metal ARCHIT. a log-shaped insert in a Norman molding
Read more at http://www.yourdictionary.com/billet#96YlwPhlmvTxl6kX.99

Definitions and do not dictate what items are commonly called.
Ever hear of a Biscuit Cutter. It is a machine that cuts a slotted arc, not biscuits.
Google "wood billets"
Mr. Comet is correct this time.
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 13:36:49 -0800 (PST) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

there are aluminum billets too and copper and etc and wood of course
a dictionary is always good but they often are slow to add or change
common parlance takes a while to get into dictionaries if it ever does
but the world moves at a pace now where most do not care
the tech industry makes up words and uses them as they like
they also repurpose words and sometimes in a way contrary to what many have come to know
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 13:36:49 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A billett of ash for a bat generally isn't round. The billett is what goes into the lathe to be made round and shaped like a bat. - generally square or square with broken edges - slightly Octagonal.

No, not necessarily. A billet is a piece of rough stock which is roughly the same width and thickness (a round bar, of course, is always the same width and thickness). You start with a billet and machine it (on a lathe or whatever) to make something.
FWIW, I don't approve of maple baseball bats. The recent epidemic of broken bats in MLB is because they're using maple, instead of the more appropriate ash.
John
On 2/12/2016 4:46 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Yes necessarily, google "wood billet". A little over 500,000 results.

I'll be sure to call the commissioner and let him know your feelings. ;~)

Not, not necessarily. Use a dictionary for heavens sake, not Google. (altho, if you did Google, how did you miss the pictures of square and rectangular billets that appear on the first page?)
John
On 2/13/2016 10:05 PM, John McCoy wrote:

The dictionary is not F_____G going to find what you are looking for or tell you where to buy "wood billets. Google does. AND that is the whole POINT to this thread isn't it?
Is your dictionary up to date? Printed earlier today with absolutely everything that has changed meaning up until this morning? And does it tell you where to buy wood billets???????????????
and did YOU Google wood billet??????????????????
I still see wood billet first on the list of wood billets.
Yes Cometman did just say billet but again common sense might lead a thinking person to add wood if you want a wood billet.
Never mind, here is your clue, and let me get you a trophy out of the burlap sack.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wood+billet&biw 36&bihx3&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved hUKEwitreS3x_bKAhVBF2MKHUm3CcUQsAQIJw&dpr=1.25
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 22:46:05 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

Or if you want a very lively bat - hickory.
"Electric Comet" wrote in message

Yes, in the context of machined stock the term "billet" is sometimes used for round stock. However, I'm more familiar with the term in the context of wood that is split. It could be wood split to rough size prior to turning or other shaping, or it could simply be a piece of split wood for use in a fire or some other rough use. My reference source is how I heard the term used while working at Williamsburg. I've also heard Peter Follansbee refer to the wood he is splitting as billets.
I imagine common usage has morphed over time... Also, today it would be hard to imagine a wood vendor selling a piece of split wood without adding value by making it cylindrical!
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 20:29:02 -0500

words do morph for sure
no imagination needed just lookup artisanal firewood
http://www.thepunctuationguide.com
--

-MIKE-

Another word to keep in mind is "rod". When I'm looking for round brass, for example, I search for "brass rod" and usually find what I'm looking for. For wood, you'll probably get closet rods and the like but it might be worth keeping in mind.
Puckdropper
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 1:04:42 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

If only there was a clue(s) as to the eventual/intended use...probably a litany of words available, but until then we are all wasting time guessing...

As Swingman would say. Bingo!
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 05:56:03 -0800 (PST) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

with that thinking in place your searches will be limited to what makes sense to you but the internets and the denizens on it often do not make sense billet was the only word needed
myriad is the word you are looking for not litany
On Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 3:43:17 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

No, litany is the word I wanted to use...Please do not tell anyone here what they want to say...I believe in trying to help, as do many others, but I have grown weary of the lack of cooperation from the primary recipient...
On 13 Feb 2016 06:04:37 GMT, Puckdropper

And MOST bat billets are not round. Technically a wooden "billet" is riven or split - not sawn - so there is no main grain structure interrupted. Most bat billets are sawn - but there are quite a few "riven" or split billets, particularly in the North East.
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 15:03:49 -0500 snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

list a supplier of these not round bat billets
i have not seen one