Another veneer question

I've decided to make an attempt at Veneering 101 and see how I go. Couple of questions for those who have been through this before: Let's say we're talking about a medium sized (300mm X 300mm?) box-type thing. And .06mm veneer.
I know that differential movement between the veneer and the backer can cause problems. Can MDF or 10mm ply be used as the backer, realizing that it's going to be completely covered by the veneer and/ or the lining material?

the plywood side panels slightly larger than necessary, veneer them, then cut the veneered panel down to exact requirements OR should I assemble/glue up the ply carcass, and THEN apply the veneer? (I expect I'll be using mitred joints for the box.)
Many thanx,
FoggyTown
Most of my projects' best features began as mistakes!
FoggyTown wrote:
| Let's say we're talking about a medium sized (300mm X 300mm?) | box-type thing. And .06mm veneer.
That's some thin veneer! Is it transparent?

Ummmmmm . . . maybe that should be 0.6mm
FoggyTown Most of my projects' best features began as mistakes!
FoggyTown wrote:

I'd veneer, cut, assemble.
--

dadiOH