Another sketchup question

Page 1 of 2
So lets say I have a carcass, and I want to put a separator panel inside the dados.. but the panel is surrounded all around and is not an edge...
So I draw the rectangle from corner to corner. Then I pull it to its 1/2 thickness.
In order to make it a component, it seems like I have to move everything away to select it, I have tried hiding, xray.. What's the easiest way to make it a component and get all the edges w/o having to move things out of the way?
Thank you.
--
Jeff

On 4/15/2014 12:22 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Found a hint to triple click..
--
Jeff

On 4/15/2014 11:56 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Not quite the same thing, but something very handy in similar circumstances, when other groups/components are in the way of drawing or editing something, Leon turned me on to this handy plugin:
http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/select-n-isolate
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

As Swingman has pointed out, the select and isolate plug in works well but you already need for your selection to be a component. IIRC it only works if the selection a component. It will make everything except the selected component
As you have found, triple clicking a group of connected lines will allow you to select all and then convert into a component. Keep in mind that any lines that are touching but not intended to be a part on the group of lines that you want to convert will also be selected. Therefore it is always best to make a group of lines into a component before beginning another part/component. It's ok if the component is not complete, you can edit it separately.
On 4/15/2014 2:33 PM, Leon wrote:

Yes, but in my case any touching lines were needed to set the size of the panel that was being captured by the dadoes and grooves.
I am forcing myself to get better with this... and even for a project I don't intend to build for a while.. Today's a paint day... so in between coats... I am working on this...
I have to tell you that this design could have been done off the top of my head, but Sketchup as pointed out that I needed to rethink it. So looking at it, I did get the idea, my clearances were not adequate...
You and Swingy made me realize I need to get with the program..
I never have built off of plans, so this will be a first. Would like to see if it helps avoid time loss, and just stairing at the project... I still might wind up there, as I always change my design, but maybe this time it will happen in the design phase rather the production phase...
--
Jeff

On 4/15/2014 1:52 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Bingo ... since getting proficient with SU, and learning to "build" the item/project in SU before walking out to the shop, it's so rare that I change anything in midstream any longer that its literally been years since doing so.
Not only saving a ton of time, but beaucoup material.
Not to mention the increase in the ability to accurately, and I mean ACCURATELY, bid a project, no matter how small or large.
Coupled with CutList Plus (without or without its plugin) ... ain't nothing like it.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

It will make everything except the selected component disappear.
On 4/15/2014 1:35 PM, Leon wrote:

Do you mean "component", or entity?
As you know, in Sketchup "component" has a pretty specific definition, which can be confusing. ;)
On my system the plugin can be used to isolate any _selected_ "group", "component", and/or an entity - like a selected line/edge, face, and even guide lines and dimensions, and selected combinations thereof.
I find I use it constantly now that your turned me on to it; especially when modeling rooms that have a lot of cabinets and other items that need to be re-sized to fit a change ... I can use guide lines to mark out the boundary's of the changes first, then isolate the selections and guide lines together and model the isolated entity to those extents.
For those listening in, it basically it uses the "Hide" function in a reverse fashion ... it "hides" everything that is not selected. You can also "reveal" all previously isolated entities with the "unhide" function, not just by going back to the context menu.
The plugin also seems to work much better on my system in SU 2014 than in 2013. I think there were some under-the-hood changes in 2014 relating to OpenGL that makes it play better with my graphics subsystem.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

IIRC it only works on a component or maybe a group. I might have that confused with something else. I'll double check that.
I created a short cut key to invoke the command to hide unselected. I use the short cut key again to reverse the action. It works as a toggle.
On 4/16/2014 12:44 AM, Leon wrote:

Might have been an earlier version ... the latest version, 11/2013 description:
"This plugin will allow you to isolate selected items by hiding the remaining visible entities in the scene. These items can be any selectable entity in your model: faces, edges, groups, components, dimensions, etc.}"
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 4/16/2014 12:44 AM, Leon wrote:

OK I verified! You are correct, the select and isolate works on any thing basically. For some reason I was under the impression that it only worked on a component or group.
On 4/16/2014 8:57 AM, Leon wrote:

I believe it did when we first started using it. AAMOF, if I remember right it used to squawk at you if what you selected wasn't a group or component.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Do your use Outliner much?
I didn't pay too much attention to Outliner at the beginning, but I use the hell out of it now. Especially on big models when I want to hide a bunch of groups/components, or rename and organize groups and components better.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 4/16/2014 10:11 AM, Swingman wrote:

If you are asking me.. No, still too new to this. Not sure what it is or does.
Still working on the basics, still trying to be comfortable building with it... but definetly getting better.
--
Jeff

On 4/16/2014 9:11 AM, Swingman wrote:

I use to keep it open all of the time, I confess, I forget why.
On another note did you see my short cut procedure I just verified with woodchucker concerning drawing and positioning a center panel inside a door frame using the section tool?? Big time and step saver.

It is far better to work out design ideas and problems on the computer than in the shop.

Try assembling the dadoed rails and styles and be certain that they are components. Draw a rectangle the size of only the opening using the actual rails and stiles intersection points as your guide. Then pull the rectangle the appropriate width of the dado. Then lengthen and widen the panel by pulling again to enlarge it enough to fill the bottoms of the dados. Triple click and make the panel into a component. Now move the panel the appropriate direction and distance to fit inside the dados.

On 4/16/2014 1:57 AM, Leon wrote:

I don't use groups any longer, you and Swingman got me using components. I have to start regularly using this tool, because for the few times I have tried, I have too long a gap between, so I forget a lot of what I pick up.
This was interesting to see that my clearances were not going to be enough... I normally don't get that spatial sense when looking at a diagram, this time I did. While it looked fine, when I measured it was too close...

--
Jeff

On 4/16/2014 8:33 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Good! I'm glad you understood that explanation. LOL
Consider this too. I have not yet tried this but I think it might be easier drawing the door panel, actually in place and to exact size, if you use the section tool to expose the inner sections of the frame work and exposing the dado's. I'll look into that.

I will use groups to group components together. I often will want to see what a paneled door would look like if it were opened. It is easier to group the rails and stiles and center panel together to pivot open instead of having to select each component to do this. This is handy for moving other groupings also.

Precisely! The ability to look at a drawing from multiple angles is a valuable tool for verification purposes

On 4/16/2014 9:06 AM, Leon wrote:

Actually that works great! If you have not used the section tool remember that you can move it to expose more hidden layers, the dado. I was able to draw a rectangle inside the exposed dado's and pull it the thickness needed and I was done. I just had to convert it into a component. I eliminated having to expand the panel to the correct length and width and I did not have to move it into place since it was drawn to correct size in the place it would end up to begin with.
Now if I can only remember to do this in the future! LOL