Another reason to not shop at Lowes

Greetings all,

I recently bought a couple of "Top Choice" 2x4's from Lowes. (No not for furniture). While I was ripping one of the boards I head a strange sound. As it turns out, there was a 15 or 16 ga finish nail embedded in the board (not visible from the outside of the board, unless you were expecting something like that and were looking for it). It looks like a 2 inch (or so) chunk of the end of the board had split (not completely off), and was nailed back in place. The things some people will do to save a $3.00 board).

Fortunately I did not notice any damage to my WWII. Lowes was very apologetic, and offered to "try and replace the blade", but the manager was pretty sure they could not get a Forrest blade.

Anyway, just another reason to stay away from the Borgs.

Mike

First of all, I doubt lowe's purposely placed the brad in the board. Do you expect them to check all of their lumber for brads? Accidents happen. Secondly, I highly doubt a brad would inflict much damage on your Forrest. I own forrest blades and have on occassion accidently cut through nails. No noticeable damage. That's what carbide tips are for.

Long story short, such an instance would not keep me from shopping at lowe's or the borg. Just my opinion. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

More likely someone who returned some recently purchased boards. Not the store. Buying any wood, its caveat emptor.

I once purchased 200 bf of birch 8/4, when doing the initial pass on the jointer, WHACK! It turned out to be an old round ball bullet. Replaced the jointer knives, re-tuned the jointer, purchased a metal detector, found two more balls and merrily continued to make shavings.

Dave

TeamCasa

Frankly, this makes me want to shop at Lowes MORE. How could they do more than offer to replace the blade?

Reply to
johnny999_99

furniture). While I was ripping one of the boards I head

the board (not visible from the outside of the

looks like a 2 inch (or so) chunk of the end of

things some people will do to save a $3.00 board).

offered to "try and replace the blade", but

another reason to stay away from the Borgs.

Frankly you COULD take them to small claims court for it, and make them pay for the court fees too! That would "URKE" the living shit out of me...!

Reply to
AAvK

If the store offered to replace the blade, and you took them to court anyway, much more likely that the plaintiff would be assessed costs, don't you think?

Reply to
johnny999_99

[...]

Richard Clements

Reply to
Phisherman

Just curious... at HD, how do you tell the difference between the cull lumber and the regular stock?

Last week, I needed thirty 2x4x8'. Got what I needed at Lowe's, setting aside only three pieces that I didn't care for, to get 30 that I liked. A couple days later, I discovered I had miscalculated, and needed 3 more. To get to Lowe's, I have to go past an HD, so I stopped at HD first. Set aside nine pieces with *serious* defects before finding one acceptable piece. After setting aside ten *more* without finding another good one, I gave up and went to Lowe's -- where the first three I picked up were just fine.

Doug Miller

expecting

Reply to
Knotbob

If that really was a round ball bullet it was almost assuredly a lead alloy of some kind, i.e. very soft. Did it really do anything to your knives? I can't imagine. There are woods harder than bullet lead.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Well, just where in the hell WOULD you like to buy your two-ba-furs??

Chalk another one up for Lowes- even offereing to replace your blade- class act!

-Dan V. in Indy

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:05:28 GMT, the inscrutable "X" spake:

Have them send off the WWII for repair and/or sharpening (by Forrest) and provide another blade for you in the interim. It's only fair.

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Website Applications ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So what do you want Lowes to do? Run every single board through a metal detector? For what? To catch the errant nail in one out of a hundred thousand boards? Then your $1.95 2x4 will cost you 4 bucks and you'll be whining about the high cost. They offered to replace a blade THAT WASN'T EVEN DAMAGED. That's stealing, if you had taken them up on it (which I'm sure you would have if they could supply a WWII).

Shit happens once in a while. Deal with it.

And I"ll bet you've been back to Lowes six times since this happened.

Reply to
bob

Regular stock has not been unbanded yet, after the bands are cut it can be anyone's guess. :~)

Reply to
Leon