Another reason to not shop at Lowes

Page 1 of 5
Greetings all,
I recently bought a couple of "Top Choice" 2x4's from Lowes. (No not for furniture). While I was ripping one of the boards I head a strange sound. As it turns out, there was a 15 or 16 ga finish nail embedded in the board (not visible from the outside of the board, unless you were expecting something like that and were looking for it). It looks like a 2 inch (or so) chunk of the end of the board had split (not completely off), and was nailed back in place. The things some people will do to save a $3.00 board).
Fortunately I did not notice any damage to my WWII. Lowes was very apologetic, and offered to "try and replace the blade", but the manager was pretty sure they could not get a Forrest blade.
Anyway, just another reason to stay away from the Borgs.
Mike

First of all, I doubt lowe's purposely placed the brad in the board. Do you expect them to check all of their lumber for brads? Accidents happen. Secondly, I highly doubt a brad would inflict much damage on your Forrest. I own forrest blades and have on occassion accidently cut through nails. No noticeable damage. That's what carbide tips are for.
Long story short, such an instance would not keep me from shopping at lowe's or the borg. Just my opinion. SH
lowes and HD are great for I need it now, I can't wait, it's like buying something from the gas station, some things are sold at a good price, most are not, I do like HD cull lumber bin though, lots of nice odds and ends for next to nothing
Slowhand wrote:

Just curious... at HD, how do you tell the difference between the cull lumber and the regular stock?
Last week, I needed thirty 2x4x8'. Got what I needed at Lowe's, setting aside only three pieces that I didn't care for, to get 30 that I liked. A couple days later, I discovered I had miscalculated, and needed 3 more. To get to Lowe's, I have to go past an HD, so I stopped at HD first. Set aside nine pieces with *serious* defects before finding one acceptable piece. After setting aside ten *more* without finding another good one, I gave up and went to Lowe's -- where the first three I picked up were just fine.

Regular stock has not been unbanded yet, after the bands are cut it can be anyone's guess. :~)

LOL!
I'd bet that the 2x4 had been bought and returned by someone, the same someone who put the finish nail in it. --dave

Slowhand, it's guys like you who are the dream of mass merchandisers whose sole interest is in sales per sq. ft. Of course they didn't deliberately put a nail in a 2x4 so they could wreck someone's expensive sawblade. But the point is that they are totally contemptuous of their customers.
Back when there were still neighborhood hardware stores in America all you had to do was to go to any one of them to have a piece of glass cut to measure. Slowhand, have you tried to get a piece of glass cut lately at one of the borgs you are so fond of?
Or have you read about the number of people who have been killed at Home Depot because of carelessly stacked shelves or lumber racks. Some have claimed that HD has a deliberately policy of not doing anything about stacking shelves safely because it would be more expensive for them to do this than to pay out the numerous death and accident claims which they use every trick in their lawyers' arsenal to keep to a minimum. Doubt what I'm saying? Juse do a google search and read about the people who have been killed in HDs. Probably at Lowes too. I just haven't done a search on Lowes.
I was motivated to look into this after two store employes were carelessly stacking 5-gal roofing tar buckets and one of them fell from the top shelf and almost hit me. My trousers got sprayed with tar. I guess I could have demanded a new pair of trousers but having heard about their policies I decided the juice would not be worth the squeeze. Hell, they were old trousers anyway.
The borgs were all about low prices when they were first taking over the country. Funny, you never hear about their low prices anymore. There are only two of them left and they either collude on price setting or they watch one another very closely. There's no real competition between them and the consumers are the ones who have been hurt by the phenomenon of big box merchandising. Occasionally I have the real pleasure of going into one of the few surviving old-fashioned hardware stores left in America. Somehow the ones that have survived manage to offer their customers a real choice--several brands of most items. These borgs squeeze the vendors for the best possible deal in exchange for handling the vendors product exclusively. You, the consumer, don't end up with a lower price--you just end up with less choice. The price differential goes into the pockets of the borgs.
And, the way it looks the same thing is going to happen with web purchases of tools. It seems that whenever I am looking for a good price through a web search I click on some so-called tool vendor and I find myself directed directly to Amazon. I believe they (Amazon) is using these fictituous names, i.e., ABCTools.com (made up name) to direct shoppers directly to them. Once they have the control HD and Lowes have you will see what will happen to prices.
I am really amazed at the naivte of people who defend HD and Lowes. Do they not know the meaning of self interest. If Teddy Roosevelt (the famous 19th C. trust buster) were around today we would see legislation to brings these merchandising monopolists under control because they are truly bad for the country.
Just imagine the difficulty a small manufacturer turning out a really helpful and needed product would have in introducing his product when everything is controlled by just two retailers. Do you think this is good for you, the consumer, or for America?
However, I am not completely pessimistic. I see now an opportun ity for an enterprising entrepreneur to establish a quality, well stocked hardware store in major metropolitan areas. I have noted that there is usually one survivor in most large cities. Of course it is not going to be easy for them because the borgs will increasingly put the squeeze on manufacturers to obtain items at a cost so much lower than the small guy can get that they too will be finally squeezed out. But I am always amazed when I go into one of these well stocked, old fashioned hardware stores and find three times the selection in half the floor space. These small operators know that they have to cater to their customers. Do you think the borgs give a damn? They do not and they will not so long as people accept their practices. And judging from the favorable comments I read about them in thesre NGs I seem to be part of a definite minority. I know we can't turn the clock back and we can not fight progress but these borgs in no way represent progress--just greed and contempt for their customers and more than likely for their employees and their suppliers.
Flames will be cheerfully filed.
Joe

Amazon offers a small percentage to websites who link to their website when a sale is made through that link. Thousands of web sites have sprung up hoping to make a few bucks by linking to Amazon's website.
Brian Elfert

So, that explains it. Thanks for letting me know. But, isn't the effect still the same--isn't the movement toward monopoly with one or two retailers having such power over the manufacturer that they can set the price and their profit margins?
Joe
Joe Bleau wrote: ...

That's certainly <not> true...but their customers are those who are looking for ordinary items at cheap prices, just like those who shop at Wally-World. As long as the mass market is enamored of thinking they're saving a penny over their local independent, the large retailer will thrive. They (the merchandisers) are quite interested in their customers, it's that they have a particular class of customer in which they <are> interested.
I live in a very small town (2000). If I want anything I have to go to the next town population about 35000. There are three hardware stores there I can think of off hand and yes, there is also a Lowes. Your idea of the small hardware store being almost extinct is bull.
wrote:

you
Forrest.
No
lowe's

People do make outlandish claims with no basis in fact. I seriously doubt that HD does not care about people getting killed.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Ed, You've never noticed the number over the entrance?
Berlin, CT, has "225". I've been told this is the number of customers who have gone in and not come out.
Stay away from stores with numbers like 10497 over the door!
Barry
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:00:33 GMT, B a r r y

Um, Barry? That's the "address".
Dave Hinz wrote:

Just playing... <G>
Barry
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:51:14 GMT, B a r r y

Just checking...

for sure.. the cost of saving a few hours a day x a few employees is peanuts compared to one law suit..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Exactly, I live in Houston. Houston has surrounded several small towns. Southwest of Houston is a small city called. Stafford. The only thing that separates them is the city limits line. In Stafford there is a Court's hardware. Court's has been around a long long time and is family owned. Court's is growing steadily and is cheaper than Lowe's and HD and every one there, probably 11 employee's, can point you or advise you correctly every time. HD and Lowe's has only sucked up the hardware stores that were destined to fail. There are at least 4 HD's and Lowe's within 15 minutes of that great hardware store.
Around The Dallas Area there is Turner Hardware and Elliot's Hardware. Both really great places. I can't take the check book in there unless my wife is holding it!
Grant