Another project completed and set up

Page 3 of 3
On 4/11/2014 11:31 PM, Leon wrote:

And just as a last comment, the link below points to a randomly picked set of strings for an acoustical guitar.
This particular set has no non-metallic strings.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ernie-Ball-2008-Earthwood-80-20-Bronze-Rock-and-Blues-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings-6-Pack-582161-i1447197.gc

Here's a newer version played on two nylon string guitars. Al Di Meola has traditionally played a steel string guitar but is playing a nylon string using a flat pick on this. I like it better. I think the steel string guitar's sustain can turn some things into a roaring mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v35YhhzCrYk

Ok, a bit or research has revealed to me that an acoustical guitar is not necessarily a classic or steel string guitar. Knowing little about either as previously stated I assumed that a traditional looking, non electric guitar, was both classical and acoustical. I assumed that both came in both nylon and steel string varieties. I now stand corrected..
Leon wrote:

Thanks Leon. The only thing I'll add is that since they can be built lighter, the price of a starter "classical" nylon string guitar can be less than its corresponding one with steel strings. It just depends what you want. I bought a new electric guitar and amp and never really warmed up to it at all. I didn't find it "relaxing" to play to me like acoustic. If you want to try "Amazing Grace", and "Country Roads (John Denver)", you can be up and running pretty fast. Anyway, that's what I started with.
Bill
On 4/12/2014 10:44 AM, Bill wrote:

I think I would be more inclined with Def Leopard or Twisted Sister style music. :~0 OMG!
On 4/11/2014 4:07 AM, Bill wrote:

Bzzzt ... I can guarantee you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you play better guitar than I do. :)
Never more than a mediocre guitar player at best, at one time 'fair to middlin' with Travis style and Blues finger picking; good enough on rhythm to not embarrass myself onstage (mainly because I loved chords and learned a bunch so I could play what we called "sock" guitar, backing up fiddle players when I was younger), and always absolutely terrible at playing leads.
Actually played much better 5 string banjo than guitar, but my chops are long gone on both guitar and banjo these days. (noticed that guitars are now smart enough to turn red with embarrassment, in their stands, when they see me coming these days).
Mostly a bass player by trade, playing both upright and electric bass ... I do love tickling your wives and girlfriend's bottom ends, and making them move. ;)
BTW, Mike Marlow is a good guitar player and songwriter, if you didn't know that.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 04/10/2014 07:48 PM, Leon wrote:

Some years back, Richy Furey did a concert here. He tuned his guitar a half step low (maybe to match his vocal range?), and would just capo up if he needed to.
One can also, of course, use light gauge strings instead of medium or heavy gauge...
...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Kevin Miller wrote:

For my own entertainment, I use light strings and I don't bring my strings all the way up to pitch, so I can bend them easier (that would be a problem playing as part of a group). As everyone here knows, putting your fingers in the right place at the right time is one thing, but sounding good is all about the nuances that no one can see. And even the player making those nuances is making half of them subconsciously.
I pulled out my guitar in December and tried to play a song I hadn't played in a numbers of years ("Windy & Warm", one of my few strongest pieces). And though I had totally forgotten it, my fingers slowly remembered it with an hour and a half of coaxing (which included listening to the recording). Especially the next day.
I subscribed to "Finger Style Guitar" magazine for a couple of years. And maybe I was able to eek one piece from every-other issue. "As a friend says, it's not how good you are, it's how much you like it." Just like woodworking, huh? Just like a lot of things. Sex, for instance.. ; )
Bill

Didn't stop Django. ;)
http://www.openculture.com/2012/08/django_reinhardt_and_the_inspiring_story_behind_his_guitar_technique.html
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Well, you could learn to play with your teeth. Note: He is not using any thumbs to do much. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrL5APQHMxY

On 4/11/14, 8:15 AM, Swingman wrote:

Bass players are always such pervs. :-p
--

-MIKE-

On 4/11/2014 10:03 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Bofus have to be ... drummers and bass players only get to see the chick singers from behind.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I work for one. You're right. ;-)
On 4/11/14, 1:10 PM, Swingman wrote:

You saw the pics from that last chick group I played for, right? :-D
--

-MIKE-

On Monday, April 7, 2014 5:11:39 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Looks terrific! What kind of wood did you use and what was your finishing technique to get that great consistent look?
Thanks.
On 4/12/2014 4:56 PM, Michael wrote:

Thank you.
Poplar for the solid wood and paint grade maple plywood for the panels. Baltic birch for the drawers.
Green Paint. ;~) Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Oil based on top of the same brand primer, presanded before primer and after primer then the top coat. Wooster 4" sash brush for cutting in and for drawer fronts. 4" foam roller for the wide panels.
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/catalog/proclassic-alkyd-interior-enamel/?referringCategory=interior-paint-coatings/paint/
and
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/catalog/multipurpose-primer/?referringCategory=interior-paint-coatings/primers/
On 4/12/2014 6:01 PM, Leon wrote:

Make that a 3" sash brush.
On Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:01:56 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Thanks, Leon! I'll give it a try.
On 4/12/14, 6:01 PM, Leon wrote:

That's what I use on built-ins. Probably from your recommendation at one time. :-)
--

-MIKE-