Another project completed and set up

I'm pretty sure that the "metallic-looking" strings on a nylon-string guitar are a nylon core with some sort of metal wound around it. They were on the one nylon-string guitar I ever owned, anyway. That metal is likely there to add mass, but it's the nylon that is the source of the tension, which I believe is lower than that of steel strings.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Amen to that!

Spalted Walt

I work for one. You're right. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Here's a nylon and steel string playing together. The nylon string guitar takes the lead starting at 2:28

Gray_Wolf

I don't think I am doing so much guessing as you might think. I am not sure what you want me to see at your link below. There are several types of guitar strings. Even many several sizes within a particular type, and a dozen different labels and alloys, I suppose.

I found this online (in several places) to corroborate what I was saying:

A typical set of regular-gauge steel acoustic guitar strings puts 179 lbs (81.3kg) of tension on a guitar.

A typical set of nylon strings puts 83.6 lbs (37.9kg) of tension on a guitar.

-- So steel strings put much more tension on a guitar. Did I claim anything more? A classical guitar and a steel string guitar are two different instruments.

And to a classical player, holding strings down with the thumb is considered poor technique (it impairs the reach of your fingers)--look it up, or ask Swingman.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Here's a newer version played on two nylon string guitars. Al Di Meola has traditionally played a steel string guitar but is playing a nylon string using a flat pick on this. I like it better. I think the steel string guitar's sustain can turn some things into a roaring mess.

Gray_Wolf

For my own entertainment, I use light strings and I don't bring my strings all the way up to pitch, so I can bend them easier (that would be a problem playing as part of a group). As everyone here knows, putting your fingers in the right place at the right time is one thing, but sounding good is all about the nuances that no one can see. And even the player making those nuances is making half of them subconsciously.

I pulled out my guitar in December and tried to play a song I hadn't played in a numbers of years ("Windy & Warm", one of my few strongest pieces). And though I had totally forgotten it, my fingers slowly remembered it with an hour and a half of coaxing (which included listening to the recording). Especially the next day.

I subscribed to "Finger Style Guitar" magazine for a couple of years. And maybe I was able to eek one piece from every-other issue. "As a friend says, it's not how good you are, it's how much you like it." Just like woodworking, huh? Just like a lot of things. Sex, for instance.. ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

With regard to a comment made earlier, observe (if desired) that the player playing the nylon stringed guitar "did not fret a single note with his thumb" the whole time!

Reply to
Bill

You saw the pics from that last chick group I played for, right? :-D

Reply to
-MIKE-

I was simply pointing out that there are/can be steel strings on a standard/non electric guitar. The link I provided plus the mention to scroll down to the picture showing the steel strings on the classical guitar was to show you that this is true.

You said, Classical guitars have nylon strings, thus lower tension. In fact, if you put steel strings on a classical, you'll probably break it (so I hear).

I really don't care one way or another. I am absolutely not interested in playing or building a guitar. I am not an expert, not even close to very knowledgeable about a guitar. So when you referred that classical guitars have nylon, not steel strings, it seemed to me that you were guessing.

Reply to
Leon

And just as a last comment, the link below points to a randomly picked set of strings for an acoustical guitar.

This particular set has no non-metallic strings.

Leon

Ok, a bit or research has revealed to me that an acoustical guitar is not necessarily a classic or steel string guitar. Knowing little about either as previously stated I assumed that a traditional looking, non electric guitar, was both classical and acoustical. I assumed that both came in both nylon and steel string varieties. I now stand corrected..

Reply to
Leon

Thanks Leon. The only thing I'll add is that since they can be built lighter, the price of a starter "classical" nylon string guitar can be less than its corresponding one with steel strings. It just depends what you want. I bought a new electric guitar and amp and never really warmed up to it at all. I didn't find it "relaxing" to play to me like acoustic. If you want to try "Amazing Grace", and "Country Roads (John Denver)", you can be up and running pretty fast. Anyway, that's what I started with.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I think I would be more inclined with Def Leopard or Twisted Sister style music. :~0 OMG!

Reply to
Leon

Looks terrific! What kind of wood did you use and what was your finishing technique to get that great consistent look?

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

Thank you.

Poplar for the solid wood and paint grade maple plywood for the panels. Baltic birch for the drawers.

Green Paint. ;~) Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Oil based on top of the same brand primer, presanded before primer and after primer then the top coat. Wooster 4" sash brush for cutting in and for drawer fronts. 4" foam roller for the wide panels.

and

Leon

Make that a 3" sash brush.

Reply to
Leon

That's what I use on built-ins. Probably from your recommendation at one time. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thanks, Leon! I'll give it a try.

Reply to