Another project completed and set up

This particular machine is an embroidery machine. The dongle is used to store embroidery patterns and to calculate stitches needed and where on the x,y grid, and to calculate which stitches are what color.
The display on the right side of the machine is for entering the resulting size that you want and to display real time a progress report on the stitching, and a display of the finished pattern.
The dongle is initially plugged into a computer to receive pattern data for an embroidery design down loaded from the internet. It also receives data from a computer program for deciding "IIRC" resolution and stitch colors for a particular design.
The above explanation is how I understood the explanation from my wife. Any information given to me beyond that is somewhere in my brain's corrupt FAT.
On Wednesday, 9 April 2014 14:35:03 UTC+1, Leon wrote:

That is very cool! :-)

Leon your your work is beyond fantastic!! Have you ever built fine guitars? I'll bet you could be a world class luthier.
On 4/9/2014 9:20 PM, Gray_Wolf wrote:

Thank you Gary, No, I have not done much of anything except cabinets and furniture.
Leon wrote:

Can you play a guitar, Leon? I can totally understand not wanted to build a guitar I didn't want to play. For a player, I think the concept of building your own instrument is very attractive.

No. I played a ukulele when I was a kid but having chopped of half of my left thumb would probably make learning to play a guitar difficult for a right hander.
Leon wrote:

too. What might be difficult is "finding the time". The first couple of months can be slow going. So, it you are not going to play guitar, at least don't blame it on your thumb. I bet Swingman would be glad to help too. He might have you on stage in a few weeks! : )
Bill
On 4/10/2014 6:24 PM, Bill wrote:

IIRC some of the chords require a thumb to wrap around and press the string/strings. At least I did with my Uke.
I did try the guitar when I was a teenager, the strings on a guitar are much stiffer than a Uke.
Leon wrote:

it's absolutely not required. Strings on an electric guitar are probably easiest to push down. Classical guitar strings may require less force to hold them down, I'm not sure; I know they are strung under much less tension.

On 4/10/2014 8:12 PM, Bill wrote:

Ummm how do you tune the guitar correctly if under less tension? Do you actually play a guitar?

Classical guitars have nylon strings, thus lower tension. In fact, if you put steel strings on a classical, you'll probably break it (so I hear), because they are not made for the same amount of tension. Yes, I can play a guitar. I'm an amateur. Not a pro, like Swingman. I think the invention of the Internet took away alot of the time I used to spend at guitar. There are alot of different guitar playing styles. If you could be content learning chords for some folk or country songs it wouldn't take too long. I'm sure you can get all of the advise you need here if you ask. The first thing you would need to decide is where the "time" is going to come from. I think it's generally accepted that 1/2 hour per day will work, but it takes me half that long just to get "warmed up".
"Angie.. Angie.. when will those clouds all disappear? Angie, Angie, where will it lead us from here? With no loving in our souls and no money in our coats You can't say we're satisfied But Angie, Angie, you can't say we never tried..
...867-5309... Jenny Jenny, who can I turn to? (I learned my "barre chords" on that one... : ) )
Bill

Bill wrote:

This one sounds just like me! ; )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1_Do_fc

I remember walking down the street playing it A cappella

Actually they have steel string too.
In fact, if you put steel strings on a classical, you'll probably break it (so I hear), because they are not made for the same amount of tension.
I think you might be in a bit over your head here Bill, I certainly am, but do know you are doing a lot of guessing. :-(
Take a look here, this is the brand guitar that Linda Lowe owns. Scroll down to the close up of the strings.
http://artisanguitars.com/collings-om3-adirondack-spruce-and-indian-rosewood-with-41-style-appointments/
Regardless, Most of what I build I never use, I would not have a problem with building a guitar and not using it.. I would have a problem with building something that resembled a guitar and sounded terrible. I highly suspect that knowing how to play a guitar would be instrumental in building one that might be at least a cut above average.
Yes, I can play a guitar. I'm an amateur. Not a pro, like Swingman. I think the invention of the Internet took away alot of the time I used to spend at guitar. There are alot of different guitar playing styles. If you could be content learning chords for some folk or country songs it wouldn't take too long. I'm sure you can get all of the advise you need here if you ask. The first thing you would need to decide is where the "time" is going to come from. I think it's generally accepted that 1/2 hour per day will work, but it takes me half that long just to get "warmed up".

On 4/11/2014 7:52 AM, Leon wrote:

Here's Linda's actual 1977 Collings guitar, featured in a "Serious Guitars" ad in 'Guitar Player' magazine a few years back:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff?noredirect=1#6001024769299621794
She does let me fondle it on occasion, but not as much as when we were younger and playing together a lot. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 4/11/2014 8:52 AM, Leon wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the "metallic-looking" strings on a nylon-string guitar are a nylon core with some sort of metal wound around it. They were on the one nylon-string guitar I ever owned, anyway. That metal is likely there to add mass, but it's the nylon that is the source of the tension, which I believe is lower than that of steel strings.

Amen to that!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ddn4MGaS3N4

http://www.youtube.com/embed/b1GZC0GQKOA

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ORMsYWJ6fLI

http://www.youtube.com/embed/QcanWkRbnwQ

http://www.youtube.com/embed/rV6SmY04WdE

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:09:34 +0000, Spalted Walt

Here's a nylon and steel string playing together. The nylon string guitar takes the lead starting at 2:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTFh0OYh-cI

Gray_Wolf wrote:

With regard to a comment made earlier, observe (if desired) that the player playing the nylon stringed guitar "did not fret a single note with his thumb" the whole time!
Leon wrote:

I don't think I am doing so much guessing as you might think. I am not sure what you want me to see at your link below. There are several types of guitar strings. Even many several sizes within a particular type, and a dozen different labels and alloys, I suppose.
I found this online (in several places) to corroborate what I was saying:
A typical set of regular-gauge steel acoustic guitar strings puts 179 lbs (81.3kg) of tension on a guitar.
A typical set of nylon strings puts 83.6 lbs (37.9kg) of tension on a guitar.
-- So steel strings put much more tension on a guitar. Did I claim anything more? A classical guitar and a steel string guitar are two different instruments.
And to a classical player, holding strings down with the thumb is considered poor technique (it impairs the reach of your fingers)--look it up, or ask Swingman.
Bill

On 4/11/2014 6:23 PM, Bill wrote:

I was simply pointing out that there are/can be steel strings on a standard/non electric guitar. The link I provided plus the mention to scroll down to the picture showing the steel strings on the classical guitar was to show you that this is true.
You said, Classical guitars have nylon strings, thus lower tension. In fact, if you put steel strings on a classical, you'll probably break it (so I hear).
I really don't care one way or another. I am absolutely not interested in playing or building a guitar. I am not an expert, not even close to very knowledgeable about a guitar. So when you referred that classical guitars have nylon, not steel strings, it seemed to me that you were guessing.