Another Nail Gun Incident

Page 3 of 3

So you consider a pneumatic nail gun to be a safe tool? A tool that can fire a 1-3" steel nail or staple at 100+ mph 1-3" deep into wood is safe. Apparently there are no dangerous tools in the world.

Every tool is dangerous and must be respected..... and used in the safest way.
I watched a video of this guy talking about the accident. It was very apparent that he used the nail gun in the same very dangerous manner in which I see lots of guys using them. They keep their fingers on the trigger, pulling, and allow the "safety" tip to do the firing. That is how most injuries from "misfires" happen. Most are not misfires at all, they are just "fires" because idiots keep the trigger pulled.
If the gummint wants to regulate any kind of safety device for nail guns, they should make it so the trigger has to be released before the safety tip can be depressed. I'm fairly certain I've used guns like that before.
--

-MIKE-

Not in my book. When doing framing or roofing, bump fire can be a good thing. When doing fine stuff, it's not necessary.
Obviously his use was questionable.
On 1/21/2012 3:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

In wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 18:47:00 -0500, "Twayne"

??? Everybody makes such a nail gun. It's a common feature of many nail guns and is a practice used by almost every contractor especially in the framing industry.
Just hold down the trigger and one safety device is already bypassed.
Like Dave said....everybody.
------------- "Dave" wrote in message ??? Everybody makes such a nail gun. It's a common feature of many nail guns and is a practice used by almost every contractor especially in the framing industry.
In wrote:

Agreed. I wasn't aware they could fire by simply holding the trigger constantly and lettinig the safety tip do the firing. On mine and any I've ever seen, if you hold the trigger, it shoots the nail but won't shoot another one until the safety has been reset and the trigger released and repulled. But then the age/design/brand of the nail gun wasn't mentioned either, along with any details on how one would get a gun at that angle and still fire it. But I'm sure anything is possible.
The electrical tape holding the tip sleeve back wasn't mentioned either. I would say details were withheld by the nailhead guy.
----------- "Twayne" wrote in message Agreed. I wasn't aware they could fire by simply holding the trigger constantly and lettinig the safety tip do the firing. On mine and any I've ever seen, if you hold the trigger, it shoots the nail but won't shoot another one until the safety has been reset and the trigger released and repulled. But then the age/design/brand of the nail gun wasn't mentioned either, along with any details on how one would get a gun at that angle and still fire it. But I'm sure anything is possible.

Or they're trying to lay down sheathing in as little time as possible. Mea culpa...

next thing they'll come up with is Nail $top. Won't fire until it does a detailed analysis of the object it is up against. LMAO!!
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote the following on 1/21/2012 5:15 PM (ET):

They'll use a hot dog to test it.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 1/22/2012 8:19 AM, willshak wrote:

No, I think they should use Steve Baker to test it. After all he is the end all answer to all unsolved mysteries.
On 1/22/2012 9:05 AM, Leon wrote:

and hopefully when they fill out the forms, they will spell my name correctly. Thanks for playing!
--
Steve Barker
On 1/22/2012 6:45 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

;~)
On 1/22/2012 8:19 AM, willshak wrote:

nope, a cantelope. more like a head. LOL!
--
Steve Barker
Is the hotdog the victim of the nail or the operator?
-------- "willshak" wrote in message
They'll use a hot dog to test it.
In wrote:

I do, yes as the safety had to have been removed from the nail gun. Unless it was pressed against the skull and the trigger pulled, it should not have fired the nail. But then, any tool in the hands of the right dummy is unsafe, regardless of the safety devices installed. And where did you get the "100+> mph 1-3" deep into wood ..." bit? It's nonsense and makes as much sense as removing or toying with safety designs provided with the guns.
If you have used one, it is quite easy. You hold the safety sleeve against the wood and fire. The nail misses the edge of the intended wood and flies through the air. Reach up over the edge of the sheeting from below and fire it back at yourself. It usually goes into the wood and you don't have to climb on the roof.
------------ "Twayne" wrote in message
I do, yes as the safety had to have been removed from the nail gun. Unless it was pressed against the skull and the trigger pulled, it should not have fired the nail. But then, any tool in the hands of the right dummy is unsafe, regardless of the safety devices installed. And where did you get the "100+> mph 1-3" deep into wood ..." bit? It's nonsense and makes as much sense as removing or toying with safety designs provided with the guns.

Oh NO!
SSSHHHHHH!!!!
If this gets out, no matter how stupid the guy is, the Government will get involved. Regulators will regulate. Legislation will follow.
Your run of the mill trim nailer will cost $4,800; and you will have to be trained and licensed to use it!
RonB