Another merger

Page 1 of 4
Sufferin' succotash. Just read that Sears and Kmart will merge, an 11 billion buck deal, with the Kmart head leading the Sears Holding Co. that will emerge, and the Sears CEO being CEO of the group.
I can see the benefit to Kmart. I cannot see the benefit to Sears.
Oh, yeah. Headquarters to remain at Sears headquarters, with a "significant presence" at Kmart headquarters.
Predicted to be a $55 billion company, but I've seen claims for larger than life companies before, including one I recently worked for that claimed $100 million, when balance sheets showed it was about $38-$45 million back then.
Supposed to come in as #3 behind Walmart and Target.
Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

With their 50 cent a day labor force, the Chinese oughta love the increased efficiency for 'dumping' opportunities. Just where the hell is that "vast market for American goods" that Clinton was gushing about?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
"Swingman" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message

Check out the North American and European telecomm companies losing their backsides on trying to make any money in China. Then look to see where the new business is going. That China would seek to develop their own industry is not surprising. That the rest of the world thought that they could make significant money there first is truly amazing.
The rules are different there. Not worse. Not better. Different. Significantly, culturally different. PDAMHIKT.
Now back to your original thread...
Patriarch
Swingman wrote:

Must be overseas or someplace outsode our borders as it sure doesn't exist here. John

another of Clinton's half-vast ideas???

I'm no retail genius--or any other kind--but it seems to me that Sears long ago conceded the rural market that it was built upon to WalMart. As an urban-suburban retailer, Sears needed more street locations than dying malls could provide; enter K-Mart. Also, K-Mart can be an outlet for cheaper goods that Sears can buy in quantity, maybe even the Lands End stuff that hasn't been doing well in the mainline stores. Bob
Bob Schmall responds:

Obviously, someone there sees some brilliance in the idea, but IIRC, Kmart came close to going all the way down the tubes a couple years ago, while Sears' performance hasn't been stellar in recent years (going back to when the hired the Bloomingdale type as Prez, I think).
My problem with the concept is that I've done some low end shopping at Kmart (usually to get Coke when it's on sale there and not elsewhere).
The stores are dirty, low ceilinged, stocked poorly and haphazardly, and the personnel might be desirable in an "ignore the asshole, he's only a customer" contest, but otherwise, I guess Kmart is OK.
Sears retail stores seem to be understaffed, but the staff I've seen have all been at least halfway decently trained, are polite and have at least a small clue as to why they're there.
Hell, my mother was an inveterate bargain shopper--raised during the Great Depression and had a solid talent for making a dime do a dollar's worth of buying--but she avoided Kmart (and Caldor in upstate NY). And she died a dozen years ago, after being away from Kmarts for nearly a decade, so the decline I see in them is no recent thing.
But maybe it will work out. Nice to think so. I think I still prefer the Sears of my youth, with no bricks & mortar stores to amount to anything.
Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

You forgot to mention the smell of stale popcorn and rancid hot dogs.
Lobby Dosser adds:

I surely did. Thanks. I think.
Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx
(Charlie Self) wrote:

Aaahh...the memories...

And dried Slurpies on the floor and sidewalks out front. At night their parking lots were dark (K-mart bit the dust in my neighborhood-yeah!) because they were too tight to fix the lamps. Time will tell if Kohl's is a better tenant. I doubt they could be as shabby.
David
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Partially dried slurpies. There was always that ripping sound coming from your feet as you walked around - except, of course, where the stale popcorn adhered to the slurpie. Say, that kind of gets this back on topic - slurpie as a glue!
Kohl's got their start here in Wisconsin, and have been extremely successful, to the point that other chains study their store layout and operations. They should be a huge step up from K-Mart. The owner of the Milwaukee Bucks, Senator Herb Kohl, is a son of the chain's founder Max Kohl. Bob
(Charlie Self) wrote:

Everything I have read seems to say this was mostly a real estate deal as both KMart and Sears are owners of vast amounts of prime retail real estate purchased many years ago and either fully depreciated or at low historical cost value on their books. The stock prices did not reflect market value of all of these holdings. The guy that bought KMart out of bankruptcy essentially just bought Sears (merger? yeah, right). I expect to see some significant real estate transactions from the combined operation.
Dave Hall
Bottom line (for me anyhow): I don't buy tools or hardware at KMart. I probably will stop shopping Sears for similar merchandise.
I just ordered an aftermarket rip fence from Sears for $159.00. I don't expect it to be as precise as a Biesemeyer but it was a lot less expensive, too. When I pick it up on Friday that will probably be it for Sears tools. I'm old enough to remember when they provided reasonable quality at reasonable prices. Sadly, one or the other (or both) have been missing for a long time.

So, where will you buy tools that are American Made if you don't buy from Sears?
The only option I can think of right now is Allen tools at the local Fleet Farm. Lowes and Home Depot are both sourcing sockets and wrenches overseas now. Home Depot quit selling anything but sets anyhow.
Maybe some of the chiwainese stuff is good these days, but some tools I boght a long time ago were junk. The plating chipped off if you looked at the tools, let alone used them.
Brian Elfert

Allen does make nice tools. They call em Farm and Fleet around here, but that's where I get all my stuff that isn't mail-order. Same warranty as Craftsman, same quality as Craftsman hand tools, but without the Sears price. I've got a whole toolbox stocked with them, and I've never blown a socket or bent a wrench yet (can't say the same for the tools from other vendors)

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

I don't follow it either. Kmart just underwent a major restructuring last year (or so). I think they declared bankruptcy and issued new stock. In the meantime, they have been struggling with cash flow and have been selling off a lot of their buildings and properties to keep the company afloat. I don't see why Sears would want to hitch it's wagon to Kmart.
Frank