Another look at an inlay test

5 of the of 12 corner treatments I am making available to my bathroom countertop customers.
The wood counterparts, will be engraved in the legs and/or doors. Pictures of those coming soon.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Inlaystests.jpg
(and yes, the bottom-left corner has a layer-merge error. The medallion should be on top. That's how you learn, eh?)

PS.. I put a quarter on the sample for size reference.

Nice work.
jc

Looks a little busy to me. Also, it is awfully small for a countertop. <G>
I assume that you are using your CNC router for this. If so, how do you position a big, heavy countertop accurately for these cuts?

The CNC's travel will handle a piece 50" x 100". When the table's spoil-board is leveled by the router-spindle itself, the boundaries (The X,Y ) are established. Repeatability is .004 over the whole area. As far as big and heavy is concerned..I eat a lot of Wheaties. I slide the slab onto the table from the open end, stick on some big honking suction cups (really) and I have my way with any slab. My CNC is not set up to deal with granite or quartz. I only machine dry.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Lee...
There are two ways to tackle the problem. The first is to attach a fence to the table (I have one that runs along the x-axis or long edge of the table) and use the router to machine a true face for work to bear against.
The second (if the router control is set up to allow it) is to use a device like the one at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/SuperZero /
to accurately locate a reference corner of the workpiece. For large workpieces, I use a combination of both methods.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar