Another Lee Valley rave

I guess I may be just "preaching to the choir," but I justed wanted to share with you all just how reputable a company Lee Valley Tools is. As many of you know, California is having some budget problems, and as usual, this affects high school vocational programs greatly. In spite of this I have been trying to expand my wood program to include more "Neanderthal" aspects. My budget does not allow me the luxury of quality handtools. I wrote to Lee Valley and explained the situation. Lee Valley asked me what we needed most and promptly sent us about $500 worth of quality tools at no cost.
Companies can do this only when they make a reasonable profit, thus I ask each of you to help me say thank you to Mr. Lee by helping his company make an even better profit. Sacrifice by buying more great tools from him. Explain to your wives that the new tool you are buying is a "moral obligation." I'm sure she will understand.
In all seriousness, Mr. Lee, if you are reading this post, thank you from the bottom of my heart for the generousness (is that a word?) of your company.
Glen
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

Yep, Lee Valley is a class act.
Good on ya Rob Lee.
Your school could not find $500? Parents spend $5 / day on a Starbucks, but could not come up with $500?
Doesn't our government run public school system spend between $2000 and $5000 per child these days?
$500 huh?
Perhaps it's time the school system go broke..
(All aside -- yes -- a class act by LV)
But the root cause of this issue is very troubling.
At $3000 per student for 13 years, that's $39,000. Figure 2 children per family, and that's $78K to educate through the HS level.
Is anyone going to wake up to the reality of this government run disaster?

They could, but you have to first get new football uniforms.....

I wish. In IL, the Chicago Public Schools educate at the cost of about $11,300/child. My local school district is just a tad higher. The state average is $10,358.
todd
Absolutely Pathetic.
Do people really think they are getting a good deal by sending their kids to public schools?
We should shut down public schools. At 10K per student? What -- am I the only one that sees this a a bigger disaster then the financial market meltdown? We WILL have an education meltdown - that WILL have greater consequences than all the bank closures combined.
Yes, I'm biased. We homeschool. I cannot imagine what I could teach my kids with $10,000 per kid. It's absolutely unbelievable. We could learn history IN PERSON where it HAPPENED AROUND the WORLD! We might even make history in the process!
I have six kids .. so let's see... 6 x 10,000 x 13 years = $780,000 in the course of K - 12.
Since Americans are lazy -- it would be more cost effective to just invest the 60K per year.. and then the children at age 18 would not have to work!

Son-in-law is a high school math teacher (Paterson, NJ). Asked me for a woodworking project to help explain surfaces in cubes (or so I understand, math happened too long ago for me). So I ordered $130 worth of rare earth micro magnets to keep the darned cubes together. Not sure yet whether I will need them all, but then I'll have some (haha) spares. I'll keep them away from computers and little kids.
--
Best regards
Han

Hi Glen -
You're welcome ... we do what we can, when we can!
Cheers -
Rob

Uhhh Rob? I'm desperately in need of some beer. I can't get my business to buy me any and the local beer stores won't step up and give me any. Could you oblige me with a few cases of Sleeman Cream Ale?
I'd be truly in your debt (at least until the beer ran out).
Thanks
Dave
:)