Another gas line question

I'm a little confused on which pipe I should use for the gas line going to my garage. Our area follows national code. Plastic gas($18 for 60ft) line is cheap but the risers are pricy($50each) so when done the plastic would cost a bit more than black gas pipe which is about $10 per 10 feet. I have been told by some locals the black pipe doesn't need to be coated for the under ground run and it will last just as long as plastic. So... what should I do, spend the extra for plastic or go with black pipe and use tar or spray rubberized spray coating?

forever! Uncoated black pipe will rust out! You do need to coat black pipe, but if you miss a spot moisture will get to it and it will rust. Greg
Greg O wrote:

Well, my math shows two connectors for a total of 100 dollars, or a buck a foot for black pipe being equal. Which at least tells me you have one helluva run.
Go plastic and go oversized. It won't cost that much more to supply allot more gas (BTUs).
Take note: Plastic can't be run inside a structure so your still into black pipe. It needs tared and wrapped. Or following the directions for installing several other types of piping.
Codes vary, investigate local code.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Got another question? Since the plastic pipe comes in 60 foot lengths I did some measuring and wondering if I can do it this way? Originally I was going to connect to the plastic from inside the house via running black pipe out to the riser, but since I have 60ft of plastic can I "T" off just above the original supply line before it goes into the house? The layout is the main line is plastic and the riser comes above the ground level about 12 inches, connects with a union, another 12" up and then 90 degrees into the house. I would think this would be better and safer since I don't have to disturb the pipe inside my house and would save a few $$ of pipe.
Thanks

I installed a new gas line last year. I went from the meter to the shop (70'=0"). I installed plastic underground 18" minimum depth. You also have to lay tracer wire next to pipe before filling trench. One possible hint that may help you, the plastic tubing has to be pushed on the steel ell. This has to go up tight, easier said than done. I am a fairly big guy but had problems with it. I took a short piece of 2x4, bored a hole the diameter of the tubing. Then sawed it lengthwise to give me two halves to clamp around pipe.Then pulled from this yoke with a 12" bar clamp. The job went easy after that. In my area the only gas line that can be installed underground is plastic or a certain type of copper. Steel pipe, galvanized steel is not allowed underground.Your building code may be different than mine.
mike
You should go to alt.home.repair
--
re. email: I have no equal.